Allow custom creation of groups in download window

JohnnyFive

I don't care either way whether this feature is implemented or not, but I can see the uses of such a feature... It'll shut those people who want the Azureus two-pane downloading/seeding interface up too xD. The way I see it, it might be a pain in the ass to implement though...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, some sort of organizational feature NEEDS to be added. I, alongside many others, seed many torrents and find this a near essential feature for maintaining my torrents as well as keeping my UI nice 'n clean.

... the much simpler, cleaner UI is a lot more useable and efficient.

ChaosBlade explained it well: a cleaner UI is better, which is why this feature needs to be implemented.

Other ideas for organizing torrents:

-custom toolbars with categorical buttons

-sidebars that actually work rather than act gay (BitComet) and are removable of course (not everyone wants extra)

-colours (everyone loves colours HELLOW?)

-other ID tags (maybe a column just for ID tags with little icons-very easy to distinguish)

-separate tabs for torrent groups

But anyway, the collapsable groupings are great.

Vote +1

I don't care either way whether this feature is implemented or not, but I can see the uses of such a feature...

My thoughts exactly. I don't need this and will probably never use it. It's still a good feature as it'd increase the usability for some people, and as long as it'd be optional, it wouldn't decrease the usability for those that don't need it.

was downloadin some torrents the other day and this feature request came straight to mind, i was downloading a torrent that was rather old and had 0 seeds luckily a seed came on for a couple of minutes allowing me to get ther last few % before vanishing. when this happens i like to get keep seeding it continuously for weeks even months just so that other ppl can get the file/s. what would be nice if this was included would be for me to be able to have a group i could create called Old or Unpopular, something to that extent that i can keep all the torrents off the screen from the ones im downloading that are popular. this way it will allow a much cleaner UI.

hope that makes sense to everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for the feature

@chaosblade: save your strength. as i understand it, utorrent is still only used by a small group, which is by and large committed to keeping the micro in µtorrent. once it gets really popular and azureus and bitcomet noobs start flocking the boards, your bloat blasting skills will truly be needed. prepare for battle. :o

Doesn't matter, just give it time. I'm confident will stand toe to toe with the once-mighty Azureus. Having said that, I still see way more BitVomit peers than any other client (on public trackers - dunno about private ones). Since Azureus at least respects the BitTorrent protocol, it's more important for µTorrent to welcome former BitVomit peers (and variants). :)

Bloat has nothing to do with it. It's just plain expendable as far as i can see. You even have secondary sorting now, to keep things totally seperated with good sorts.

Having said that, I just dont like the category\group based UI view. It kinda goes against most windows UI designs in the world, and thats a bad thing in my eyes. Otherwise, Wouldn't someone else have adopted it? ;]

Heh I think shkbobo knew that and was taking your explanation as a reason for its inclusion xP

Yep.

Yes, the idea is being considered. Most likely tied in with labels. Think of something like Explorer's tree view.

Very nice, as long as each group's title row will have proper labelling. Like hofshi's idea, we should have the title include the sum of the download/upload amounts + speeds + any other column that can be done with this (%, status, seeds/peers, eta, ratio, avail would be harder to use but could be done with averages or something).

And as Ultima mentioned, if this feature becomes even slightly weighty to the aggregate memory usage/performance it should be optional, if not disabled by default.

Archived