µTorrent 1.7.7 released

Firon

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also happens when someone is no longer running their client but uT tries to connect to them.

Either thay are peers in uTs cache, or they are listed by the tracker because they never sent a "stopped" event message (crash/badly coded client/congested tracker).

@xabregas: I think DreadWingKnight is talking about directory list styles. When he said wait for 1.8 i think he was replying to Borisz.

I have the same problem as you, I used to dl at a good speed but it seems like when I switched to 1.7.4+ I get speed issues, all the settings are unchanged. Does anyone else have this problem?

And it is especially slow when utorrent is minimized in the task bar.

No, the problem still eather ut is minimized or not. And with 1.7.4 i didn`t have speed issues. Only when i changed to 1.7.5. And it appears to be ISPtraffic shapping.

Because i have Neomule and no speed issues. So, somehow my ISP managed to get through utorrent protocol encryptation and that`s to baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad ;_;

Is it know that Utorrent doesn´t send an Complete or Finish Signal if you Choose only some Files from a Download. I´m always registered as an Leecher and only downloaded 23% or so.

so we can´t make correct stats.

event:completed is a dumb way to determine if you are a downloader. The left parameter is a better choice. event:completed is only sent once (if at all). The left parameter is sent on every announce.

Renault2000 that are Bittorrent specifications

The specification is vague in this regard. It could be interpreted as 100% of the entire archive without exclusions. It could also be interpreted as 100% of the archive (excepting exclusions). Additionally, the official specification (on bittorrent.org) says that the entire event parameter is optional -- which makes event:completed optional, too.

You don't have 100% of all pieces, you aren't a seed.

That's accurate. On the other hand, if you are done downloading and are only uploading, you're not quite a leecher. You're an un-person. :)

Although the spec lists event as optional, the definition for what a non-present event means is pretty clear.

This is an optional key which maps to started, completed, or stopped (or empty, which is the same as not being present). If not present, this is one of the announcements done at regular intervals.

The key may or may not be present, but it should only be non-present for a regular announce.

The spec says if event is not present, then it is a regular announce.

The spec is vague on whether completed should be sent at 100% of all files or only those you are downloading, but the same vagueness also applies to the left variable.

When we consider that bittorrent clients originally were not able to choose which files they wanted though, we can assume both represent the total of all data in the torrent. I know the old saying about assumptions, but lacking any official word on the subject any attempt to clarify will always be an assumption either way.

Another consideration though is that the tracker has no use for the information that you have 0 bytes left to download when you picked 3 files out of 5. To other clients, you will be shown as a peer unless you have all parts, why should the tracker show you as something different?

It also has no need of the completed event if you have actually only half completed and may decide to select more files in the same session (which would trigger 2 or more completed events as well as a sudden jump in left).

Taking either completed or left to be anything less than 100% of all files also makes a mockery of scrape, which was designed with Bram Cohen at least playing a part in its developement (if not designing the whole thing).

If the tracker has a different view of peers/seeds than the client, the scrape information essentially becomes useless for anything and may as well contain random numbers.

So,to someone who can help..

I set the bandwidth allocation (Upload/Download Limit) to a desired value but things don't go the way i expected, like as i didn't do anything which means that downloading/uploading isn't being restricted to the value i set before..!As i can remember that was functional in version 1.7.0 or 1.6.9..

Thanks in advance for the help....

No connection could be made because the target machine activley refused it. Please can someone tell me why it is saying this and what it means

If you see this on -every single- torrent, then it means you need remove and re-add your firewall rules for µTorrent.

I updated to 1.7.4 and now 1.7.5 and still my downloads dont start. Before the update it worked perfectly. Do settings change? I cant find a change. Port is the same and forwarded. Firewall is the same. Whatever was downloading before the update is not anymore. It is as though the port isnt forwarded anymore. No seeds are showing up or peers.

Nevermind. I got it to work. Make sure to make a window after downloading saying to re-allow firewall to read the program. For some reason utorrent 1.7.4 and 1.7.5 isnt the same read for the firewall and previous versions.

This thread has derailed. Talk about the new µTorrent release. Stop arguing about whether Azureus or µTorrent is the better client, and stop arguing about BitTorrent protocol specifications. This new release fixes things. That can only be good. Thank you for the new version. I'm out...

No, the problem still eather ut is minimized or not. And with 1.7.4 i didn`t have speed issues. Only when i changed to 1.7.5. And it appears to be ISPtraffic shapping.

Because i have Neomule and no speed issues. So, somehow my ISP managed to get through utorrent protocol encryptation and that`s to baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad ;_;

As ISPs like Shaw and Rogers throttle their bandwidth to counter the growth of BitTorrent, utorrent developers were fighting back with end to end encryption. Oddly enough, Bram Cohen, the original brains behind BitTorrent, doesn't support this direction.

I only hope in the next version there is a new encryption method/workaround/etc to avoid the ISP throttling the traffic. Doesnt matter if you are downloading a Linux Distro or OpenOffice or anything else, they filter the whole (torrent) traffic. Should be a new method, something to avoid this happend.

EDIT

btw, seems like this version is more stable than the previous :)

Archived