Tray icon missing when uTorrent minimized!

defiler

Thanks for your input, however...

If I type:-

"C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe /BRINGTOFRONT"

The result is:-

Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe /BRINGTOFRONT' ....etc

Also tried:-

"C:\program files\utorrent\utorrent.exe bringtofront"

etc. etc. - same results.

Puzzled...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having had the same problem as others figuring out how to actually properly type "c:\program files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe" /bringtofront into the "run" box, I had the opportunity to try it today, now that I finally see how to type it. Sorry for the denseness. It did bring up the program, but still no tray icon when the program is minimized. I give up.

I tried the /bringtofront option several times. With the program hidden but running, and with it maximized. Since it did not work, I did as I always do and went under options, unchecked the option to "always show tray icon" then clicked apply, then replaced the check mark in the "always show tray icon," and clicked apply again to get the tray icon to finally appear.

Sorry, I guess that doesn't answer your question. The explorer at no time crashed, I just didn't have an icon or button showing utorrent was running in the background.

What switch does one have to use instead of /bringtofront to switch it on and off? If it is simply repeating the command, I did that several times without success, but without crashing anything. If there is a different command, could you please post it here and the next time the icon doesn't appear, I'll try it. (It doesn't happen to me every day, just some days).

The nuance of "" is understandable. The difference is Windows doesn't have to do any EXTRA translation when it's just c:\program files\utorrent\utorrent.exe, BUT to get uTorrent to recognize the /BRINGTOFRONT parameter... it needs to know the WHOLE path "C:\program files\utorrent\utorrent.exe" is the FILE, and the /bringtofront parameter is to be performed on the FILE. Yea, something is crashing, possibly explorer... possibly something else

Do you know what the following do?

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [JMB36X Configure] C:\WINDOWS\system32\JMRaidSetup.exe boot

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sW20] C:\WINDOWS\system32\sw20.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sW24] C:\WINDOWS\system32\sw24.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [JMB36X IDE Setup] C:\WINDOWS\JM\JMInsIDE.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [updReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Critical Services] svhhost.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Critical Services] svhhost.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [iE New Window Maximizer] C:\Program Files\IE New Window Maximizer\iemaximizer.exe

O16 - DPF: {67A5F8DC-1A4B-4D66-9F24-A704AD929EEE} (System Requirements Lab) - http://www.readyforcrysis.com/sysreqlab2.cab

O16 - DPF: {BE833F39-1E0C-468C-BA70-25AAEE55775E} (System Requirements Lab) - http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/sysreqlab.cab

OR do you recognize why they're on your computer... if not, that bogus "critical services"... could be a bad thing :/

Like firon said, if you turn off minimize to tray, minize uT, bring it back up and turn minimize to tray back on does uT re-reate the icon?

M_U_S_T S_A_V_E T_H_E B_R_A_I_N !!!!

Okay, here goes... Jewelisheaven -> I know little about the registry except that it is as poor an idea as Windows XP Product Activation, Windows allowing software companies to modify it's core operating system by letting programs add files to system32, selling full versions of their software for double the price of upgrade versions instead of just selling full versions that will upgrade an older copy automatically (the good old days), and selling their operating system for more than the cpu's that can run it.

If you didn't get my point, it was that although I am forced to run Windows XP because Microsoft dominates the marketplace, and most available software found in stores is therefore designed for Windows, it doesn't mean that I am versed reliably enough to make sense of its convoluted registry, or would dare start deleting things from it simply because I don't know what they do. In other words, I'm not a Microsoft engineer, and I'm not an idiot. That's just the way it is. I don't know enough about the registry to screw with it.

That being said, I do recognize some of the lines above, and why they are there. The commands starting with JM are hard drive drivers or utilities that came with my motherboard for either Sata drives (JMRaidSetup.exe boot, JMInsIDE.exe). The IE New Window Maximizer is a program which automatically maximizes new windows in internet explorer because of bugs in internet explorer that will not keep my settings if I close a window in Maximized mode, and it opens again in "normal" mode.

The (System Requirements Lab) settings were installed with no option to uninstall (damn activex programs) so that I could try a demo of Crysis to see if my system met the requirements. As for the critical services, they are too cryptic for me to recognize, but they sound like Windows components which are probably vital.

And as for if I "turn off minimize to tray, minize uT, bring it back up and turn minimize to tray back on does uT re-reate the icon" the answer is yes, but only if I also turn off and on "always show tray icon" because I have already done so once to make the problem disappear. I'll try it again next time the tray icon doesn't appear when I start-up or reboot.

None of the above was meant as criticism, merely my avid wish to make you or anyone else who asks aware that I am not a skilled windows programmer, have not programmed a computer since 1990, and do not have the required knowledge set of skills to play around with something as potentially disasterous as the registry. Just so you know.

;) not a problem. So... if you minimize to tray without the "alwas show icon"... it never appears then? The window just "disappears"?? ... and the only way to bring it back is with /BRINGTOFRONT ... yea something is mucking with that. I'd bet it could be ie maximizer??

Holy crap :/ I didn't even think of asking for a DLL list.. but that's the main reason to use process explorer versus HiJackThis. Could you go to sysinternals.com and download Process Explorer.. then run procexp.exe, Ctrl-L, Ctrl-D, click utorrent.exe, Ctrl-A to save the file again and edit your post above with the previous Process Explorer log or paste it into a new post below?

HEHEHe, don't worry about the registry.. from your post above mentioning it 4 times I thought maybe I mistakenly answered the wrong post before... but alas nope.

I will attempt all that you ask, but I think it will have to be tomorrow. I'm missing "Survivor"!!! Oh No, I'm Melting!!! Uhhh, I didn't say that.

Anyway, I'll try the process thing again. I also made use of your errors in the hijack log, and got rid of all references to that Crysis system requirement program, both in the program files, and the registry. I couldn't have found it without your snippit of the Hijack log (and the registry search function - honestly, how can anyone find anything in that ridiculous registry - no wonder Windows is so bloody unstable. Have you guessed yet that I'd like the big computer manufacturers to get together to back a different OS and software supporting it and put Microsoft out of everyone's misery? Wipe them out. All of them. Bwa Ha Ha!!!)

By the way, just to be clear, I didn't try removing the minimize to tray option until I had already fixed the problem by using the uncheck, apply, then recheck the option of "always show tray icon." Also, I must point out that by turning off the always show tray icon and turning off the minimize to tray icon, when I did actually minimize it, it appeared on the task bar as a button as would normally be the case with a minimized program. I merely had to click on the button to restore the window; it was simply the accursed tray icon that wouldn't appear until I checked the "show tray icon" and applied the change again.

That wouldn't be abnormal. So I actually did not need to use the /BRINGTOFRONT option at all, and when I used it the first time when my system had started, utorrent was running in the background, but no tray icon was present, that option brought utorrent back on screen, but still no tray icon. Hopefully that clarifies. Must go see survivor now. Missing bikinis, and possibly gratuitous nudity. :)

Okay jewel, I went back to my earlier process explorer file, deleted it, and replaced it with the new one using your instructions above. It's on page one. Thanks.

Try disabling SSDP Discovery Service (which will prevent UPnP from operating) in Control Panel - Admisitrative Tools - Services. This fixed my problem.

I knew the issue wasn't uTorrent's fault as I noticed other system tray icons missing. Google led me to the following web site:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/01/04/system-tray-icon-missing-from-system-tray-in-windows-xp/

I tried the solution they mention, which I have suggested above, and uTorrent and the other affected applications' system tray icons are now visible.

The solution I suggested may not be ideal if you're using UPnP, so you may want to try one of the other solutions mentioned on the page. Even using a tool to start uTorrent or other applications a couple of minutes after loading Windows may be sufficient. I haven't tried it myself, but Startup Delayer (mentioned at the bottom of the linked page) is free.

<3 stebie. Wow, I think that even applied to me back in the day. I just checked my services and saw since 1) I don't have UPnP devices and 2) I don't enable unnecessary services where possible I don't have SSDP on either. Truthfully roughly half of the services are disabled and half of the remaining are manual. That's a great find stebie. Thanks :D

OT: Can you believe Microsoft is trying to halt support for XP this year???

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks anakin66 for drawing my attention to IE Maximiser - that bug in IE has been annoying me for years!

I had the problem without ever knowing ablout IE Maximiser so it's not to do with that.

I have not seen the problem since I removed AVG from my machine when the trial expired.

May have been the culprit?

As regards XP support - thats just $%^&* great - I was about to upgrade a machine to XP and almost downgraded a recently purchased Vista machine to XP due to Vista incompatibility problems.

All sorted now and Vista does seem to be behaving - just the GUI that's so frustrating - it's like a breath of fresh air when I use a Win98 machine that just does what it says on the tin!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have the same problem now at 2 of my computers. One on win xp sp3 and my laptop win7 ultimate x68. It just started on my laptop but has been happening for several months on my home computer with win xp. Tried reinstall tried other bit torrents but with no avail. I have 2.2 utorrent on both my comps. Help?

I'm using two different version of uTorrent (one stable, one Alpha) on two computers and am getting the same problem. Windows 7 32bit on both of them. The "c:\program files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe" /bringtofront helps but it's still kinda weird that the icon just vanishes, usually after a restart. Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Same problem here with winXP sp3 and utorrent 2.2.1 after fresh re installation of windows (it was working perfectly fine before). I try reseting all settings but nothing help.

EDIT: Fixed with beta 3

EDIT Few days later: The Icon is broke again with beta 3 :( can't figure why it disappeared.

I'm still having this problem and have been with the last 3-4 stable versions of uTorrent on both Windows XP and 7 (both 32bit). The tray icon is there initially but it disappears and the only way to get it back is to exit uTorrent and open it again. Does anyone know why this is happening yet? It seems to be a fairly widespread problem and although it doesn't really effect the functionality of the software it's still annoying.

Hi to all, this is my first time posting, I live with a bug, when I minimize uTorrent the

icon is not displayed!

However the program is running normally in the background. I'm using Win XP SP2, I don't know what causes this (I'm using the latest version 1.7.5 but the bug exists since at least 1.7.1) but I've noticed that this happens if I run many programs simultaneously.

What should I do?

Many thanks in advance!

The same problem started for me too,only in new 3.0 beta version on win7 pro !!! try`d many suggestions nothing helps ...after windows starts,for some time icon is located in systray,but after a while just dissapears ... tnxgod that uT still keeps running in some mysterious backgroung ::P

• 7 months later...

Archived