Massive memory leak in v1.8 build 11813

Beelzebub

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When 1.8 was only beta i hadn't this problem but when it got stable the memory started getting spiked I was gettin the error that the hard drive was overloaded or something like that. when that error did show it would stop dl and i couldn't restart utorrent I was forced to restart the whole computer to make it go away. setting the cache maual only prospone the problem and getting the memory to spike. When i looked at utorrent in the process list it could get as high as I set the cach to and got stuck there and the same time utorrent would say "disk 100% overloaded" It seams like it wouldnt write anyting to the disk.

I'm running on a Intel C2D E6850 CPu and a Gigabyte P35-DS4 motherboard with 4Gb of ram and Vista 32 bit. I have downgraded to 1.7.7 and don't have this problem anymore.

Jupp. if i use 1.8 and dl och ul som files utorrent says "disk overload 100 %" and if i set the cache manually to a large amount like 256MB the disk problem is solved until the cache has taken all the 256Mb of ram and then displays the message "disk overload 100 %" again. it never writes the cache to the discs it seams. if i tries to retart utorrent when it has the disc message it freeze and does nothing. With 1.7.7 I dont have these problems.

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/ntcacheset_e.html

and

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa965240(VS.85).aspx

Everybody can set the System File Cache of Vista x86, x64 and WinXP x86 and x64 manually with the function SetSystemFileCacheSize. Make the bat-file and put it to the autorun-folder. So, Vista never use more free ram for the file cache than you let it.

Doesn't really work though, in my experience. It only trims it temporarily, but it'll grow again with no real limit.

By the way, you shouldn't care about your RAM being used unless your system is actually slowing down. By default, Vista uses as much RAM as possible to cache apps/files (such as with the prefetcher), as there's no point in having RAM going unused. This goes for you, perza, and everyone else in this thread.

Well in my case the observation of memory usage is like this: When I used 1.8.1 version of utorrent it went from 30% used memory (standard usage on my rig with 4GB of RAM, no apps running) to 70% or 90% of used memory and it stays there as long as I have utorrent running. Disk cache options in utorrent preferences were on default I only disabled windows caching of disk writes. Then I installed 1.7.7. and memory usage went from 30% to 40% and at some passed time back to 30% and so on. It means that 1.7.7 version is freeing memory as it should. There is definitely something different as far as the memory management goes in these two versions. As far as the prefetch function in Vista, I think that is one of the best things in this OS but I don't like that one thing uses 2/3 of my memory especially a torrent client. I'll stick to the 1.7.7. version which suits and works just fine. Cheers

I had the same issue as described in the original post, where I would have like 90-95% of my memory taken by uTorrent after a couple of hours seeding. I easily solved it by disabling both "Windows caching of disk read/write", now everything runs as it should and I'm happily hitting my 80 Mbit again without clogging up my memory. :)

RAM: 4GB of DDR2 RAM

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB 32MB Cache

Just thought I'd let you know.

firon: Perza has the same problem i had when i used i.8 and its Utorrent thats eats up all the memory not windows. i saw it in taskmanagement and when I tried to shut it down it wouldent so i had to shut down the whole computer to force it to shut down.

Whe are not anal about it as you so nicely put it but users that arent happy that the favorite torrent program has a bug in the latest version.

i have read about this problem in quite some threads now and the one comon thing I have found is that you (utorrent dev. peaple) are quick to blame Windows. It may be both program but the fact is that the problem is solved if you go back to version 1.7.7 of utorrent.

Note. im not angry on anybody just inputting some thoughts.

Cant you check what you altered from 1.7.7 to 1.8?

By the way. when 1.8 was beta i didnt have this problem, I had another problem and that was that utorrent crashed alot so I whent back to 1.7.7 and installed 1.8 again when it became stable just to getting another problem. so back again to 1.7.7

cheers.

How quickly can you reproduce this problem?

If you could cause it again, go to the Logger tab, right click and choose "Log to file...", select a file name, then right click on the Logger tab again and choose "Dump Memory Info" then send me that log file. Also let me know how much memory uTorrent was using.

Archived