Massive memory leak in v1.8 build 11813

Beelzebub

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Developers, tell us what we can do to help you solve this?

Is there really anything to fix? Isn't this just opportunistic caching? If uT writes a 1GB download to disk, then the OS might well decide to keep it around in the cache until something else wants the memory (exerts pressure). So while these pages aren't "free" they're also squeaky clean and totally available. When you quit uT the OS explicitly tosses this cached data, mainly so it doesn't exert pressure against other opportunistic caching.

I didn't post in this topic before because my symptoms are the same as everyone elses. But I just wanted to respond to CodeRed to clarify that Vista does not give this memory back when it's needed, period. The machine will become completely crippled with HDD thrashing for virtual memory, extremely sluggish/lagged feeling, etc. The ONLY time Vista will release that memory is if I stop all torrents, or close uTorrent. (I'm not sure if that's significant, but I didn't see anyone mention it - simply stopping all torrents will instantly release that memory.)

I have 3 machines here running Vista. Two running 32-bit and one with 64-bit and the problem is exactly the same on all three.

"Disable Windows caching of disk reads" solves the problem for me, but since it's enabled by default, I can imagine it could be pretty frustrating to many Vista users. Well.. I'd bet that many people will never know it's uTorrent that's causing (or triggering in Vista) the problem. I was certainly perplexed looking in task manager trying to understand where 6 GB of memory had gone with nothing but uTorrent running, and task manager telling me uTorrent is only using 6 MB.

We can't fix Windows, though we certainly tried to hack it with the cache bypass. This problem has been present for years, even before utorrent came around. I had it with emule; I had it with Azureus. It's nothing new and it's not something we can really fix if the bypass doesn't work for you.

That's why "there's nothing to fix." It was a Windows problem that existed before uTorrent ever did.

Now, the only thing we can possibly do is to figure out why the bypass doesn't work for some people on Vista. But even that may not be possible, because it wouldn't surprise me if Vista decides to just completely ignore that under certain circumstances.

I believe you. It's just a bit hard to swallow for me since I did not have this problem AT ALL before 1.8. uTorrent would run happily for days and days at a time. I've been using it since maybe 3 yrs? 4 yrs? I don't recall precisely, but in all that time I've never had a single problem with it.

BTW, since you mention Azureus, I can say I don't have this problem there. I'm certain of this because I've been using it for a few weeks while I waited for the issue to be fixed in uTorrent.

Regardless, something changed in 1.8 that triggered the problem for me, and others. That much is crystal clear in my mind. When you say: "It was a Windows problem that existed before uTorrent ever did." - I believe that, but the problem did not exist for ME until now, and many other people have described the same problem with 1.8.

It just doesn't seem logical to say that the problem always existed - because reading the thread shows that nearly everyone only started experiencing it with 1.8, and reverting to earlier versions makes the problem go away. Based on that, it's not hard to understand why the frustration level is increasing for some people. And posters like DreadWingKnight just throw fuel on the fire by treating everyone like an idiot.

The problem really has always existed. You'll find reports of it in our own forums since utorrent started (that's why flush files was originally added like 2 years ago, though it only helped a few people), and it was a problem for other clients.

DWK only tells you an idiot when you're acting like one. When people come up against problems and get ... ornery, that's much more likely to happen.

For my part, since this problem was discovered in Vista, it kind of sealed the deal as far as not using Vista... even after SP1 came out.

I don't suppose anyone has any contacts related-to or tangential-to Mr. Mark Russinovich (blog) ... as he'd be likely to explain/help fix this problem should the OS team decide it is a problem which should be remedied... if they're not focused on Windows 7 right now.

Well, I'm another of those users that runs vista 64u and had no issue untill I upgraded to 1.8 , after that the system would eat up all the avaibable ram and it would start getting very sluggish after a matter of hours.

What was funny is that the file size of the torrents was 1/10th of the amount of avaibable ram (around 600 - 700Mb) and even with just 1-3 being active and the rest being queed the system would provide this kind of abnormal behaviour.

Switching the disk cache settings removed the problem, but performance of the disk that is used for DL is quite degraded while running utorrent and it is problematic to burn an image while downloading when this problem did not exists on prior versions of 1.8

A guide on how to manually optimize the disk cache settings to avoid degrading performance on hd disks would have been nice (The one I have is a quite fast Sata 750Gb 7200rpm disk that can handle up to +100MB/s and averages around 60MB/s according to Hd tune) and since I do not have this super fast connection (maxes at around 1.5MB/s) I am pretty puzzled the disk cache settings give such a big performance penalty.

I was wondering if the cache of the vista files are stored in tmp and that perhaps part of the solution would be to regularly force flush the utorrent cache and getting vista to update the cached files in memory.

Been toying around With vista's registry and enabled two basic tweaks :

1 : disable superfetch.

2 : disable prefetch.

This is working pretty good on my rig with 8Gb ram and I could enable the default disk cache options again, instead of utorrent and vista eating up virtually all my memory overnight and making the system sluggish it went from 22% to 34% overnight (8hrs time or so) (Utorrent being stated in process explorer as using around 60-80.000) and after shutting down utorrent completely from task manager it popped down to 22%.

Now I only have to determine which one of the above is the main cause making the system sluggish(I got my bets on prefetch).

For anyone interested the registry keys to be modified are :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

EnablePrefetcher : 0

EnableSuperfetch : 0

Dword keys.

Values are 0 = Disable , 1 Boot , 2 App , 3 All.

• 5 months later...

Archived