error 'insufficient disk space' while there's plenty of space

alex9

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, just joined the forum so I could follow this thread :) I have the same problem here, plenty of space on NTFS. Doesn't look like the last beta fixed it for me :(

Could antivirus cause this error? I.e. AV tries to read file and locks it so it cant be written to, conflicting with uTorrent? I have installed AVG free, might test with turning off the scanner temporarily.

Well i`ve been using 1.8 (11890) like requested and the problem hasn`t occured since with me, on downloading single files of 8Gb - 11Gb. Does this mean i go back to the general build 1.8 or test on another beta....(In the `Advanced cache settings` everything is ticked .....)

Ok, I came to find a solution to this (same) problem Friday, and found this thread. Started running the build requested by the administrators (11890) and OF COURSE had no trouble during the day, surely it crashed minutes after I walked away for the weekend ;-)

So, the crash log is on:

http://www.mediafire.com/?wzaaaamanca

FYI, this is a NEW computer (powered less than 2 months), and only had trouble starting with v 1.8. Also running AVG, no settings changes there (but maybe an upgrade?)

I came to this thread after experiencing the same problems as have been described here. In thinking about when this started to occur, I remembered that it was just after having created a new partition which reassigned drive letters. However, I had already changed the data path in the Preferences of uTorrent.

After some digging here's what I found: even though I had changed the data path to "d:" (the new letter for the drive), uTorrent was still saving to drive "H:"... a physical disk without much room on it.

I tried redoing the preferencs setting... clicking apply.. close uTorrent... reboot... but the result was the same. The setting showed correctly under preferences but was not actually being applied.

Naturally, I corrected this by reassigning drive letters to the same as they were before, and all is well again.

I am not saying that this is the source of everybody's problems, but wanted to share this with you as something you could check for yourself.

it is on some private torrent site forums about this problem but in a diffrent way, People cant download past 98% and that is to do with windows cache, try set the windows cache limit down if you know how. I am clutching at straws here so i am just chucking an idea out there to see what the problem is.

You misunderstand me... Yes I did do the >Advanced>Set download location. Not sure though if I stated that well in my post... The data was not needing to be moved as it was already in the correct location. Maybe I am missing something ???

I had this same situation in version 1.7, and resetting the path in preferences corrected it without issue.

alus - I downloaded that version (after this time un-installing the current one with removing the saved settings options) and actually got a 700mb file with no problems. Usually the error would have happened at least 10 times on the other version - and I didn't change any settings!

Could be that I did a fresh install, or that I didn't change any settings apart from just before the download started, I selected which drive and folder the download was to go in (which is the usual one).

Will update this once again when I download something else!

Alus,

This new version you linked (I'm running the "uncompressed" version) does have the problem, and did NOT create a .dmp file. However, in the "Logger" tab, I see the following messages:

[2008-08-26 20:54:05] IO Error:112 line:419 align:512 pos:9480192 count:2097152 actual:-99

[2008-08-26 20:54:05] IO Error:112 line:675 align:512 pos:9480192 count:2097152 actual:1

This time, only one of my torrents stopped, and I still have plenty of free disk space (84GB free). I took a screencap of uTorrent to post but mediafire seems to be hosed right now.

[two days later]

More logger entries from build 11962:

[2008-08-28 20:10:36] IO Error:112 line:449 align:512 pos:99991040 count:2097664 actual:-99

[2008-08-28 20:10:36] IO Error:112 line:675 align:512 pos:99991412 count:2097152 actual:1

[2008-08-28 20:39:11] IO Error:112 line:449 align:512 pos:181845504 count:2097664 actual:-99

[2008-08-28 20:39:11] IO Error:112 line:675 align:512 pos:181845977 count:2097152 actual:1

[2008-08-28 21:16:35] IO Error:112 line:449 align:512 pos:15299072 count:344576 actual:-99

[2008-08-28 21:16:35] IO Error:112 line:675 align:512 pos:15299407 count:344064 actual:1

(Three torrents were displaying "Error: There is not enough space on the disk.")

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy. Same issue here.

Something curious just happened - it is why I'm here. uTorrent has been installed only for 2 days and downloaded 3 torrents. Two of them caused the issue and were bigger than 1GB. There wasn't plenty of available disk space, actually only a few hundred megabytes.

I managed to download the first one by re-allocating the destination folder and forcely rechecking the torrent, although this didn't work for the second folder. The strange thing is that this second folder can't be moved at all. The folder is 1.38GB in size (same as the torrent)* and the other drive partition has 4.45GB of free space. I understand I might sound totally stupid. This time, second folder, it is Windows Explorer telling me there isn't enough free space (!).

*. Pre-allocate All Files has always been active.

Now I'm gonna test and try to resume the download somehow - hopefully changing pre-allocation and Sparsing, although none of them seems to explain Windows Explorer error.

Edit:

Found this. Anything related to the issue here?

• 4 weeks later...

Virtual Me:

I think this is the cause of my problem as well! (NTFS, WinXP SP2)

Basically, what I did was deleting a partition (secure full erase), after backing up my data of course, then recreating the partition. The drive letter changed, however, I used drivemapper to revert the drive letter back to the orginal.

When I use uTorrent 1.8, I got the "not enough space" error even though there is a lot of free space on that partition (in fact, it's empty!). Like most of you here, I have to do the "force download" to restart the torrent (actually, it doesn't restart but continues where it left off).

I thought it was a problem with that particular torrent, but after downloading more torrents (about 700mb each), I still get that error. It is such a pain to monitor it so I can do the "force download" when it stops.

I did a disk scan, disk cleanup, defrag, etc. Also the path isn't long and I did the other suggestions under the Advanced options, etc.

Awhile ago I was downloading 2 torrents (200 mb, 700 mb) and both stops intermittently (with the error msg). Now, one of them is done. So it's just one left... so far, it's been going for about half an hour now without the error msg. So let's see if it finally fixed itself or something lol

Will keep you guys updated...

Just in case this helps, since I think I've been with the same problem for a little while.

I have utorrent 1.8 (11813), with torrent space preallocated and so, and a few days ago, after leaving the pc dowloading on its own for some time, I checked it and saw that error in some torrents.

So, I did my own "research" and I came with these conclusions:

- There was actually no space left in the partition (64 free kB to be correct). And no, no joke here, that free space was supposed to be there because...

-...As I said before, the space was preallocated in utorrent, but, actually, it wasn't!

I mean, the checkbox is... checked, but utorrent is doing something kind of strange here, and I'll explain it with a real example:

I'm downloading a torrent which consists of one file, 743 MB. According to utorrent, there's 253 MB's downloaded and the other 490 pending, so, anyway, the .!ut file (I always set this option, it's extremely useful to discriminate correct files from partial downloads) should, anyway, occupy 743 MB's. Well, if you (if, like me, you're using winxp) just leave the mouse over the file in winexplorer, it says it's 743 MB's (though it actually expands to 761 MB's due to that "little problem" using 1024 or 1000 to define a K, but that's another thing that doesn't affect here). BUT, if you just right-click on it and go to properties, you'll see this:

Size: 743 MB (780.047.239 bytes)

Size in disk: 253 MB (265.748.480 bytes) (*)

(*) I have winxp in Spanish (I live in Spain...), so the translation I'm doing might not be accurate in the way an English copy of winxp could not say that, but it won't be too far from it.

So, THAT's what's happening, in some way, utorrent actually reserves that space, so winxp actually thinks that's the size of the file BUT, when it comes to disk space, it will only ocuppy what you have already downloaded (as if you had not checked the "reserve space" option in utorrent), so, utorrent allows you start downloading as many torrents as you want (virtually infinity), since they occupy 0 bytes initially. Then, there will come the moment when, after "some" downloading, they will, eventually, occupy all of your partition if you didn't take care (and since utorrent didn't warn you about it, you won't take care of it, thinking utorrent was taking care for you) of the size of all the torrents together.

Well, I guess it's quite a long explanation but, I think, it's quite easy to understand... I don't know if it's so easy to solve from the utorrent programmer point of view but, as a user, it's quite simple to solve: free some space xD. I burned some files to a dvd and there you are, working again properly.

Take care.

You didn't read much of this did you... pre-allocate + Ctrl-P > Advanced > diskio.sparse_files = TRUE doesn't work in 1.8 like it did in 1.7. This has been fixed in 1.8.1, but for right now you can set it to FALSE and it won't happen on new downloads. If you want it to work on OLD partial downloads, you must COPY the data out of the folder, delete the original, and move it back in. You should then right click, force-recheck affected torrents... but should notice no loss of data (besides incomplete pieces viewable in Pieces tab).

1.8 enabled sparse files by default. Due to a bug, pre-allocate was overriden by sparse files. Hence, pre-allocate wasn't actually working.

The fix is to disable sparse files, or upgrade to 1.8.1 (which fixes the original bug and also disables sparse files by default).

Archived