BitComet and DHT

The Mighty Buzzard

lol if you want to be really anal about it, then you can say that it it's grammatically incorrect without hyphen (making very little sense if taken literally), so it can't really cause the kind of confusion you're trying to correct anyhow. At least it sounds really weird as a sentence to me if I read it literally without any hyphen xD

With any luck the µTorrent impersonating bitcomet clients will die out soon and it can get it's good name back.

You mean the µTorrent-impersonating BitComet clients' date=' right? A hyphen makes a lot of difference. :P[/quote']

True enough. The problem is I'd sent my hyphen key out after beer and was too lazy to use alt+45. Sure, I could have used KP- but I would have known the difference and couldn't have slept last night.

Actually are we chasing the wrong rabbit here, when did the Comet ever have a good name???? This is the third time it has been mass banned.........and it looks like the tracker owners are not gonna let it off the hook easy.....to make matters worse (or better, depends on your perspective :P ) there is a file on TPB that alleges to teach Comet users to trick private trackers via video with a copy of the Comet .60 and a µtorrent spoofer. Now I dont think anyone in their right mind would actually DL and use that but im making the assumption that a Comet user willing to be banned from a private tracker for using a particular client is in his right mind :P The Comet has some work to do, this .61 is probably nothing more than .59 'fixed' Too much history there IMO. I enjoyed it while it lasted, all this banning nonsense (plus Azureus' greediness) drove me to µTorrent in the first place> I think I will stay a while. Make myself confortable. Pull up a chair and watch the traffic.

BlackLion: the spoofer is detectable, and this includes by the tracker (ScT is one example that detects and bans people using it)

Really? 0w. Now the next question (a fairly obvious one with a fairly obvious answer). Has anyone been dumb enough to get caught using it there? And how much is it (spoofing) going on really? Im not following it at all, just a nosey ? or two.

Actually are we chasing the wrong rabbit here, when did the Comet ever have a good name????

That was, more or less, my point. I thought it was fairly obvious I was speaking about µTorrent's good name since BitComet has never had claim to anything better than a moderately bad one.

Me, I've been dumping handshake packets and tossing the entire class C of any BC users into my firewall. I've got about 6400 in there so far.

Wow, my typing sucks this morning.

Me, I've been dumping handshake packets and tossing the entire class C of any BC users into my firewall. I've got about 6400 in there so far.

The problem with doing that is if these users change to a client that doesn't cheat...you'll still have them blocked.

Also, you're also likely blocking alot of other people who may well NOT be using BitComet.

there is a file on TPB that alleges to teach Comet users to trick private trackers via video with a copy of the Comet .60 and a µtorrent spoofer.

It looks like theres a few good ideas forming under that thread... in TPB.

They could work imo. So it cant be all that bad ^_^

there is a file on TPB that alleges to teach Comet users to trick private trackers via video with a copy of the Comet .60 and a µtorrent spoofer.

It looks like theres a few good ideas forming under that thread... in TPB.

They could work imo. So it cant be all that bad ^_^

Since you began to quote me' date=' (not a bad idea in and of itself :P ) you could have gone further and seen my point:

Now I dont think anyone in their right mind would actually DL and use that but im making the assumption that a Comet user willing to be banned from a private tracker for using a particular client is in his right mind :P.

All those alleged 'good ideas' and the presumption that 'they could work' even in your own opinion (what can that really be worth?) not be 'all that bad' further serve to illustrate the issue that is there from the beginning of this thread: BitComet has its problems and they have not gone away and they wont go away unless its dev fixes more than just 'the private flag'. Tracker owners simply dont trust it now. Nor should they, past history reminds them strongly. If those issues didnt exist neither would this thread. That logic cannot be undermined, no matter how you may feel personally about the Comet. The further attempts to circumvent the measures that trackers have undertaken about the Comet underline how bad things have become. My quote stands. If you like the private tracker you are on, and they have banned the Comet (There are a few large ones that havent, not many though) then you should seek alternatives or risk being banned.

Simple.

Now, since we are offering our (worthless) opinions......being banned from a good private tracker that I like just for using a particular client....its not worth it.

Enough of opinions. Here are the facts..........

Bitcomet is banned on a large majority of large private trackers. Fact.

Neither version .59, .60, or .61 have appeased the tracker owners enough to lift the bans. Not one of the trackers that have banned the Comet in this current wave have lifted the ban, even after the release of version .61, coming after the reversion from .60 to .59. The tracker owners are not impressed. Fact.

Despite the rhetoric about Comet users not using/needing private trackers, that there is real and valid interest in a patch that may get you banned from a private tracker plus the complaints from Comet users betray the fact that there are many private tracker users that use the Comet. Fact.

This is the third time that Bitcomet has been mass banned from trackers since its creation. No other client has that distinction (BitLord dont count, its a clone/offshoot/ripoff, take your pick, whatever you want to call it). Fact.

Here are the facts..........

.. of large private trackers. Fact.

.. The tracker owners are not impressed. Fact.

.. private tracker users that use the Comet. Fact.

.. whatever you want to call it). Fact.

Dear Mr.Fact :) ... but what if you turn this around and actually grab the snake at the head instead of the tail. Bitcomet could definetly be seen as the tail.. but there still has to be a head of the body. Its just a biproduct of a system that wiggled a little to long for its own good.. and now it ass hurts :P

If new ideas emerge... maybe all this fuss could be turned around. DHT could once again be seen as a good thing... (from all eyes) wich in fact it truly is. But all I see is silence .... and that is talking pretty loud on its own. Bram wasn't wrong when he suggested how private trackers could handle this. It looks like it wasn't their most keen interest... and now you know how it went.

Btw, I spoke to the guy who put this out.. and he was interested in maybe teaching out more techs on how to avoid identification. He hopes that something will happen.. but its unlikely since both Bram Cohen (BT dev) and Coldfusion (TBDEV admin) alerted early on the dangers with ratio and what could happen. Their opinions was backdrafted ... and the beginning of the tail began. It will probably never go away completly ... but you can remedy it with less agressive resistance and a bigger understanding on why some things starts. Hardest lesson learnt... but it's worth everything.

I say go with the flow.....if you dont like the flow take a different direction. Right or wrong a lot of private trackers have made a decision on a client (one basically), the whys and wherefores make no diff, the switch has been pulled.....less agressive resistance to what is my ? there and a bigger understanding? Heck I dont own a tracker, I have enough headaches....and you need to be specific on 'everything'.....we are sharing files.......nothing more nothing less, we survived before this thing and will be around (some of us) after there is something else to do....being idealistic is fine but make sure its an ideal we are talking about here. Relativism is a good approach when you are talking about certain types of physics, it tends not to hold water at times when we apply it to other subjects....especially when we use it to soften ones behaviour which may not be all that great (relatively speaking of course).

Im all for new ideas but in the meantime there is the present to deal with. And that present says that particular client is no longer welcome in a lot of places. At present. All the bending, wiggling, twisting and speaking to this that or the other person wont change anything about what is happening now unless the Comet dev does something to prove he is serious about making his client fit in with the current program.

The next lession tracker admins are learning (some may have already learned) is to block bittorrent clients by behavior.

There's some subtle and not-so-subtle stuff that BitComet does which either makes it identifiable and/or just plain bad. They're going to concentrate on that and even BitComet's developer would be hard-pressed to redesign his client to hide it all.

Me' date=' I've been dumping handshake packets and tossing the entire class C of any BC users into my firewall. I've got about 6400 in there so far.[/quote']

The problem with doing that is if these users change to a client that doesn't cheat...you'll still have them blocked.

Also, you're also likely blocking alot of other people who may well NOT be using BitComet.

True enough, so I spent part of yesterday writing a perl script to block them for twenty four hours (through a firewall, not µTorrent/ipfilter.dat) on a per-ip basis. Now if they switch to a client that doesn't cheat, too bad. Good behavior doesn't make previous bad behavior all better instantly.

There's some subtle and not-so-subtle stuff that BitComet does which either makes it identifiable and/or just plain bad. They're going to concentrate on that and even BitComet's developer would be hard-pressed to redesign his client to hide it all.

But how can a tracker detect that with the limited info available to it?

The only thing I can imagine them doing is banning all clients except their own custom one, an idea which some trackers have suggested (and which I am strongly against).

Archived