Encryption not working as supposed

FadeToBlack

I have this problem which I cannot understand. uTorrent gets slow download speeds with encryption on and off (Outgoing: Enabled/Forced, Allow incoming legacy connections: Off/On; I have tried all combinations); and yes, my ISP is throttling the download speed. However, with Halite and Deluge I get full download speed (which is around 1 MB/s). Why is encryption not giving me full download speed?

I need an answer and the developers might be the only ones able to respond...

PS: I guess this could have also been posted in the Speed Problems...sorry.

OK, so you have followed the logical step of encrypting traffic, you do anything else, maybe reading through the guide (linked as Read Me below) may help. It includes other steps such as disallowing unencrypted connections, reducing your number of connections.

If you run each program with identical settings (or near-to due to program limitations), run the same torrent, on the same port, in each client there shouldn't be a difference.

Though, which client did you start with? UTP which has been in 1.8, but is turned on in 1.9 changes a Ctrl-P > Advanced setting called bt.trans_disposition .. what is your value there?

Either way, it's not working the same as with other two clients. I don't have a slow connection, it's just uTorrent that's slow. No version works at the maximum possible speed. I don't have a problem with downloading when my other ISP is not throttling the speed (therefore not using encryption).

FadeToBlack - I've heard other users report good speeds with Deluge (although I could never install it because it crashes on me). As for µTorrent, I've had good speeds with Force Encryption and Allow legacy turned off. If there are lots of seeds & leechers, it shouldn't be a problem to connect. If there is a small number in the swarm, forcing encryption and not allowing legacy could make it difficult connecting to peers.

I am comparing encrypted traffic. That's why I'm wondering about the speed difference. I don't know what other settings to use besides the ones in the BitTorrent encryption tab.

The ISP is UPC Romania, but I don't see how's that relevant to other people, besides having an informative purpose.

UPC was iirc, the first affected by the workaround, and the first thereafter to get people who run unencrypted. Ask around, it may be you can't get full linespeed anymore because they decided to run full DPI hardware. Just be happy they don't shape all encrypted traffic like Bell in .ca :(

Which of these sections are you having trouble with?

For these features in Azureus:

Do this in uTorrent:

These Azureus features don't have direct equivalents in uTorrent:

but...A semi-close equivalent for "not announcing the listening port to the tracker"

And more follows.

OK, so to make thing clear. These are the settings I have active:

Protocol Encryption

Outgoing: Forced;

Allow incoming legacy connections: Disabled;

DHT: Enabled (same for Deluge).

The rest of the settings like number of peers to connect, upload slots, etc. are the same in all programs and I don't see how that's relevant to the problem here anyway, as in theory my connection isn't slow (10 Mbps).

Now what I want is someone to tell me where the difference lies between Deluge and uTorrent, so I can make uTorrent download at the same speed and not be throttled by my ISP. What other settings do I need to enable or disable to achieve this? Don't tell me anything related to the number of connections, as there are the same settings in both programs and I use them in the same way. Deluge can work with 32 peers per torrent with 4 upload slots and about 3 torrents running at the same time with a total speed of around 1 MB/s in download and uTorrent fails to even download one single torrent at more than 400 KB/s. That's a lot slower in my mind.

Wireshark both if you want to know.

But you'll never know for certain if whatever throttling method your ISP is using cannot see the BitTorrent traffic or is willingly allowing it.

I have my own theories, but since I've not put them through thorough testing, I shall not say them.

Your link was not too hard to follow at all. However, in my mind I fail to understand where the difference lies between uTorrent and Deluge. What are you implying actually?

I don't mean to sound rude, but every time a member of a board with a low post count or whatever posts a topic and someone fails to give a direct answer or a solution other members assume that the given answer is correct and that it's a right one. However, sometimes they fail to understand that maybe they're wrong.

Is this the case or should I give up, because I don't see how any of your posts have helped me? I am sorry to say it, but I had faith in someone giving me a way to maybe help the developers if they would be interested (or needed) to solve this problem.

I don't see how DHT has any effect on uTorrent or Deluge, whether it's turned on or off. I don't see how a low number of connections would do me any good as, again, I don't have a problem with Deluge, even though it kind of sucks.

When you test two programs you test them using the same possible settings. I have done that. Now help me understand.

Archived