µTorrent 3.3 Stable

cmeisel

Download the new version here

µTorrent 3.3: Performance and streamlining headline list of improvements

µTorrent 3.3 gets a dramatic rewrite to its disk i/o, which means noticeable performance gains in multi-tasking. For example, you can delete files from a torrent or move torrents to a new location, but without the usual slow-down in torrent downloading. Or, download torrents to two different drives, but with the speed of downloading to a single drive. You'll notice gains at both low and high speeds, and whether you're writing to local disk, a RAID or a network drive. You'll also experience improvements to the disk subsystem and rate limiter.

Next, we streamlined µTorrent features by eliminating underused and non-core features, including Apps and Find Content, the dual list view and the "getting started" tab.

Finally, we made a few bug fixes including a fix that noticeably speeds up the rendering of magnet links.

Changelog:

--2013-5-10: Version 3.3 stable (build 29677)

- Fix: More installer stability issues

- Updated: Eula screens

--2013-04-30: Version 3.3 stable (build 29625)

- Fix: Crash when playing media files in BitTorrent Plus

- Fix: Hash failures when quickly writing to slow media

- Fix Installer crash

--2013-04-14: Version 3.3 stable (build 29544)

- Fix for Checked 0.0% regression

--2013-04-11: Version 3.3 stable (build 29533)

- Fix: Install fix

--2013-03-27: Version 3.3 stable (build 29462)

- Fix: Torrent added via magnet link could become stuck at "Checked 0.0%"

--2013-03-27: Version 3.3 stable (build 29420)

- Fix: Skipped file allocation

--2013-03-13: Version 3.3 stable (build 29333)

- Fix: Installer hanging while offline

- Fix: Delay in installer

- Fix: Client not starting after update

- Fix: Duplicate device names for android devices

- Fix: Torrent paused state was reset when restarting client

- Fix: PLUS: Post-expiration, playing a file pops up errors

--2013-02-15: Version 3.3 stable (build 29126)

- Fix: gdi leak in add torrent dialog and devices panel

- Fix: remove torrent dialog, default to 'ok'

- Fix: fix flushing of completed pieces immediately

- Fix: fix disk flushing not being triggered every time it should be

--2013-02-12: Version 3.3 (build 29111)

- Fix: Client crash

- Fix: gdi leak when resizing window

--2013-02-07: Version 3.3 stable (build 29082)

- Fix: Reduce installer size by 100kb

- Fix: DHT announce performance issue corrected

- Fix: don't warn about torrents not being done uploading when explicitly stopped

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon100 wrote:

MirceaForce wrote:

I have 1Gbs connection, my speed in utorrent is around 75MB/sec (600mbs).....but I have a big problem with disk overload (tried old versions of ut.2.0.4, 2.2.1)......and the new 3.3 rc1 but no improvements at all, try different settings for disk cache(disable,enable,set disk cache up to 1700MB) check the pre allocate file still nothing maybe you guys can fix this problem, if some one can help me this will be great

Thank you

I believe it is a hardware limitation... you have several options... use a SSD as the write drive, use one of those 10K SATA 3.0 drive (7.2K may work as well), and finally disk stripping 2 or more recycled/used drives will also work.... also some motherboard chipsets has sata controller bottlenecks, so a discrete pci-e x4/x8/x16 controller will also work... Best advice.. read alot of HDD & motherboard reviews concerning sustained speeds.. if your building a new system.... spend a few dollars extra on better hardware since you've got such high speeds... if your into d/l, reliability, build a server closet filled w/ SAS drives...

I don't have a SSD but a friend of mine has 4 @ 512GB each ocz indillix 4 last.........SABERTOOTH Z77 ....16gb ram intel i7......disable all prefetch, superfetch,disk cache from windows 8 and still the same

my configuration :

Amd quad core 9650

Asus M2N-E

4gb ddr2

hdd 1tb caviar black + 600 gb 10k

I had made transfer to disk over 100MB on my sistem.........but my friend spend a lot of bucks on his system and still the same problem DISK OVERLOAD.....we need a fix

do you guys test this version on gigabit speeds ?????

@MirceaForce

If it is a LARGE torrent, utorrent should be smart enough to throttle itself back during heavy disk activity/file "allocating as it downloads"... You must wait awhile for utorrent to generate/allocate the files... especially if each one is massively large...

Try this... enable pre-allocate all files, and then stop, then pause the download... watch disk activity... if it is 100GB or more, you'll have to wait about 15 minutes or more if drive is fragmented for it to pre-allocate all the files. once disk activity LED stops, now start the download.....

now watch the disk statistics in uTorrent under "Speed"....

@MirceaForce

If it is a LARGE torrent, utorrent should be smart enough to throttle itself back during heavy disk activity/file "allocating as it downloads"... You must wait awhile for utorrent to generate/allocate the files... especially if each one is massively large...

Try this... enable pre-allocate all files, and then stop, then pause the download... watch disk activity... if it is 100GB or more, you'll have to wait about 15 minutes or more if drive is fragmented for it to pre-allocate all the files. once disk activity LED stops, now start the download.....

now watch the disk statistics in uTorrent under "Speed"....

with this version --2013-01-29: Version 3.3 RC 1 (build 29010) disk overload with 5gb files.........to wait for 15 min, I wil try this but it's a crap..........already used pre-allocate all files, another friend told me that even on linux with ssd on server he get disk overload....solution switch to rtorrent.....maybe this last version µTorrent 3.3: Performance and streamlining headline list of improvements...... I will test and resume a feedback

Simon100 wrote:

MirceaForce wrote:

I have 1Gbs connection, my speed in utorrent is around 75MB/sec (600mbs).....but I have a big problem with disk overload (tried old versions of ut.2.0.4, 2.2.1)......and the new 3.3 rc1 but no improvements at all, try different settings for disk cache(disable,enable,set disk cache up to 1700MB) check the pre allocate file still nothing maybe you guys can fix this problem, if some one can help me this will be great

Thank you

I believe it is a hardware limitation... you have several options... use a SSD as the write drive, use one of those 10K SATA 3.0 drive (7.2K may work as well), and finally disk stripping 2 or more recycled/used drives will also work.... also some motherboard chipsets has sata controller bottlenecks, so a discrete pci-e x4/x8/x16 controller will also work... Best advice.. read alot of HDD & motherboard reviews concerning sustained speeds.. if your building a new system.... spend a few dollars extra on better hardware since you've got such high speeds... if your into d/l, reliability, build a server closet filled w/ SAS drives...

I don't have a SSD but a friend of mine has 4 @ 512GB each ocz indillix 4 last.........SABERTOOTH Z77 ....16gb ram intel i7......disable all prefetch, superfetch,disk cache from windows 8 and still the same

my configuration :

Amd quad core 9650

Asus M2N-E

4gb ddr2

hdd 1tb caviar black + 600 gb 10k

I had made transfer to disk over 100MB on my sistem.........but my friend spend a lot of bucks on his system and still the same problem DISK OVERLOAD.....we need a fix

BUY A FREAKING SSD AND CONNECT THEM INTO RAID! Prob. should dissapear

Its not the prog fault but on 1Gbps speeds it is just impossible for hard drive head 'shoot' over every block to manage write/read @ those mega speeds... So the disc comes overloaded... So no 'fix' for HDD's!

As for SSD's still there are still NO quality controllers made for sata3 for constant max and beyond speeds ;) So it also shiiiiiits up and disc comes overloaded.

Hell I dont know whats the point of the 1Gbps internet speed nowdays? WHATS THE POINT? To show that your e-wanker is larger?.... <- Congrats! Life complete! :D

Im on 100Mbps optical and it is freaking enough....I too get overloads especially on large 10gb+ files(Have WD caviar black's), but I dont see whats the point for the internet of speeds past 100Mbps(I also can buy 200 & 500Mbps connection) but the point is for those 'big' connections for household?... Just pay pay pay more monthly and you will get ''faster'' internet (Eventhou with 100 you cant get the full potential especially on HDD, so no magic will happen if you are on 500vs100 for example... You will acheve the same speeds!)

Of course im talking about a household.... If you are a buisness man and have a large buisness with many devices who has to be connected to the internet/network then yes 200, 500 and 1Gbps speeds are acceptable.... For household these large speeds is just cleaver marketing... ;)

:D And sorry if 30-35mb/s isnt enough max download speed(what im getting from my 100mbps optical) Then go and die.... :D

BUY A FREAKING SSD AND CONNECT THEM INTO RAID! Prob. should dissapear

Its not the prog fault but on 1Gbps speeds it is just impossible for hard drive head 'shoot' over every block to manage write/read @ those mega speeds... So the disc comes overloaded... So no 'fix' for HDD's!

As for SSD's still there are still NO quality controllers made for sata3 for constant max and beyond speeds ;) So it also shiiiiiits up and disc comes overloaded.

Hell I dont know whats the point of the 1Gbps internet speed nowdays? WHATS THE POINT? To show that your e-wanker is larger?.... <- Congrats! Life complete! :D

Im on 100Mbps optical and it is freaking enough....I too get overloads especially on large 10gb+ files(Have WD caviar black's), but I dont see whats the point for the internet of speeds past 100Mbps(I also can buy 200 & 500Mbps connection) but the point is for those 'big' connections for household?... Just pay pay pay more monthly and you will get ''faster'' internet (Eventhou with 100 you cant get the full potential especially on HDD, so no magic will happen if you are on 500vs100 for example... You will acheve the same speeds!)

Of course im talking about a household.... If you are a buisness man and have a large buisness with many devices who has to be connected to the internet/network then yes 200, 500 and 1Gbps speeds are acceptable.... For household these large speeds is just cleaver marketing... ;)

:D And sorry if 30-35mb/s isnt enough max download speed(what im getting from my 100mbps optical) Then go and die.... :D

If you cannot help me with this problem I don't now why do you post!!!!!

I have down throw firefox with very large speeds.....it's not the hardware, the software is the problem if you want disk overload keep it only for you......maybe there are other clients that could handle this speeds.......but they are not accepted on all trakers

strange, my system p-dual core e5400 cpu 2gig ram with windows xp prof sp3. i've tried numerous times installing v3.3.0.29038, it just not running. stuck n no go, i've to end process in task manager each time. reboot, shutdown still no go.

i tried install with other versions eg, v3.1.3, 3.2.0, 3.2.1, 3.2.3, they all installed without problem.

I think that was my last try with newer versions. Installed update and experienced 30-50% disk overload at 5 MB/s. Rolled back to 3.3 build 28830 with same settings - no overload at full speed 100 Mbps. Had the same issues with previous beta updates but hoped it will be fixed in stable release. Naaah. Didn't happen.:(

@MirceaForce

If it is a LARGE torrent' date=' utorrent should be smart enough to throttle itself back during heavy disk activity/file "allocating as it downloads"... You must wait awhile for utorrent to generate/allocate the files... especially if each one is massively large...

now watch the disk statistics in uTorrent under "Speed"....[/quote']

with this version --2013-01-29: Version 3.3 RC 1 (build 29010) disk overload with 5gb files.........to wait for 15 min, I wil try this but it's a crap..........already used pre-allocate all files, another friend told me that even on linux with ssd on server he get disk overload....solution switch to rtorrent.....maybe this last version µTorrent 3.3: Performance and streamlining headline list of improvements...... I will test and resume a feedback

MirceaForce,

To be honest, SSDs are still a bit too expensive for massive storage... with a 1Gigabit/sec connection, which is about 125 MEGABYTES/sec... very few if any single HDD can sustain such speeds.... A Windows Server 2008 R2 or Server 2012 system is best to fully utilize such speeds w/ utorrent 3.3.

Disk stripping would be required, where you can simultaneously write to more than one disk... Also a single 1Gigiabit/s NIC to your server is NOT enough... you should use dual port pci-e x4 Intel discrete NICs connected to a smart switch w/ support for Link Aggregation (10Gigiabit/s NICs/switches are still too expensive). HP smart switches use to be the best value & stability... Also Benchmark your motherboard SATA controllers.... I've noticed only more expensive server motherboardswhich has more than one discrete SATA 3.0 controllers can simultaneously write to several HDDs w/o slowing down.

Anyhow, to avoid bottlenecks, you REALLY need to build / rebuild a better computer server for your particular high I/O requirements... disk striping for storage and link aggregation for connectivity is the lowest cost way of getting around your problem....

Even if you change your bittorrent client, you'll still must deal w/ the bottlenecks in your computer system.

why utorrent install itself in %appdata% folder instead of normal %ProgramFiles(x86)%?

and installer don't support variable path, I try to install at "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\uTorrent", but it installed at current directory with subfolders "%ProgramFiles(x86)%" and "uTorrent".

sad :(

3.3 and 3.4 install into %appdata%/uTorrent/ to bypass the UAC (User Access Control) and allow "silent updates" to the client.
silent updates is evil.

and I can't see bypass of UAC when start setup — anyway installer asks admin rights.

result: just another stupid shit.

Archived