Question about the planned DHT

tkout

- Optional DHT Support: decentralized trackers (Mainline and BitComet compatible)

Does this mean that the only clients we will be able to do DHT with are Mainline and BC? If I'm not wrong isn't Azureus one of the most widely used clients?

Or am I just misunderstanding what you're trying to say?

I'm somewhat crossed on this issue.

I dont like DHT at all, But thats a different issue.

If DHT is implemented, one would get better performance from the azureus DHT system, but thats supporting a non-standard feature being forced by one client. I'd rather have MainlineBitComet which use the same system more or less and keep things on the standarts.

I'm somewhat crossed on this issue.

I dont like DHT at all, But thats a different issue.

If DHT is implemented, one would get better performance from the azureus DHT system, but thats supporting a non-standard feature being forced by one client. I'd rather have MainlineBitComet which use the same system more or less and keep things on the standarts.

same here... and don't forget Utorrent'll soon become one of the most widely used clients, so long for awkward Azureus DHT . Just take the right train ;)

if youve already connected to the tracker once and obtained the peer list then even if the tracker dies your downloads will still continue. its only really useful if the tracker is dead in the first place. although azureus doesnt use the standard way its still huge compared to the other amount of clients using dht. the fact that its java based means anyone can use it. the linux and mac os version of µTorrent are along way from working. so i think it would be a good idea to use azureus way of doing things.

although azureus doesnt use the standard way its still huge compared to the other amount of clients using dht. the fact that its java based means anyone can use it. the linux and mac os version of µTorrent are along way from working. so i think it would be a good idea to use azureus way of doing things.

yeah, and don't use firefox too because internet explorer is widely implemented ;)

i dont use firefox thanks. too slow, resource hogging, exploited.

Opera, then? :P

I'd prefer sticking with the Mainline, since it's the "official" implementation. It's easy to draw an analogy between Azureus and IE (in which I side against IE), though the cases may not be exactly the same.

yes i have been using opera since v7 and couldnt be happier. its just that the sheer popularity and flexability of azureus that enables ppl to use it not only on just windows that makes it so damn popular and even ppl on windows systems would choose azureus over the other mainstream clients such as BitComent. Thats why it would benefit greatly from using the azureus DHT atleast "aswell as" the mainstream way of doing things.

You know, it would be a strategic blow to Azureus if uTorrent adopted the official standard. It isolates Azureus with a proprietary solution giving its user base another reason to switch (if there weren't enough already :).

Not that I have anything against Azureus but uTorrents ultimate goal is to be the most popular client. By siding with Mainline/BC it would draw users that value DHT out of Azureus. And being the strongest client among those two it would capture the majority of the switchers.

Obviously, DHT alone isn't the killer feature but this is a long game where every play is like chess moves. Check for uTorrent!

yeah, and don't use firefox too because internet explorer is widely implemented ;)

Now that's just a bad analogy! The speed with which you load a website doesn't depend on that, because apache (or whatever webserver is used) doesn't really care what client (=browser) yuo use. There might be issues and webdesigners can (sometimes have to) make different pages but that's a different thing. If you have a 200 MB video file (let's say a game trailer or something) hosted on some webserver somewhere, it makes no mentionable difference in speed when you download it whatsoever.

This is a bit different here so the decision isn't so easy, but I assume it has already been made by vurlix and ludde. It would be nice to hear what the official verdict is so far :)

If it makes any difference I would vote for the official standard, even if it's not used by Azureus. If beeing Azureus-compatible is a must implementing both would be the best way, though it's possible that it's just impossible due to the probably huge amount of work that would have to go into maintaining that (or writing it in the first place).

Just keep in mind that uTorrent is quickly growing to be one of the most popular (windows-)clients, so there can be a clear signal to the azureus people to change THEIR implementation (I know it's a bit unlikely, but after all possible...)

bye

Creat

i dont use firefox thanks. too slow, resource hogging, exploited.

wtf? firefox is not slow one bit. its one of the fastest web browsers. as for resource hogging...you might be right on that, im not gonna argue with that one. also firefox is NOT exploited, it is very well updated, doesn't use active x, also not to many people use firefox compared to IE. IE is exploited. a bunch of people use it, so more than likely people would try to exploit IE not firefox.

anyways nice project you guys got going. i cant wait for the DHT feature, there's a torrent i want to get but you have to register on the site, and its not in english...

Edit: im not saying browsers like opera are bad. but me, i prefer firefox.

You know, it would be a strategic blow to Azureus if uTorrent adopted the official standard. It isolates Azureus with a proprietary solution giving its user base another reason to switch (if there weren't enough already :)

True, but if both versions of DHT are implemented, there's the reason that former Azureus users switching to uTorrent would not only get all the Azureus peers, but also more from the other clients. I would think, that reason is a bigger reason to switch. That's just my opinion...

If it is just a choice between implementing a standards-compliant DHT, and a non-standards-complaint DHT, I'd vote for the standards-compliant one every single time...

I'm so fed up with being stuck with proprietary crap... If Az wants to use a non-standard system, fine, let them, but lets keep µTorrent with established open standards.

Just because Az has a lot of people who already use their own DHT system is not reason enough to go that route, and if µTorrent adopts Az's method, it takes µTorrent that much further away from the standards that have already been established.

I don't know of one single reason that makes Az's method, superior, or even preferable, to the established standard. Lets avoid it.

-- Smoovious

well said smoov but lets face it there are a LOT of ppl that use AZ and that is the only reason their system is even being discussed, its about the peers, obviously the best route is both, that may be asking quite a bit, at this stage either one is viable but you are correct in the standards issue.

I agree with smoovious. Stick to the standard. With uTorrent gaining popularity, and knowing the mainline way is also used in BitComet, I believe we can out-drive the AZ userbase in pure numbers. Lets force THEM to support the standart (IE vs world xD)
In the long run that is the way to go, in the short term with the Az userbase, either one is a winner IMO. But that may just be the last nail in the coffin as well as the first Chaos ;)

Archived