60 second anomaly

dhg734

Hello everyone. This has been an ongoing problem for me since I started using utorrent and have finally decided to consult the professionals. When I have a torrent downloading or uploading the speed seems to take a complete nose dive every 60 seconds on the dot. I'm nearly 100% sure my connection settings are where they should be and I'm not quite sure what else would cause this.

Here are some screen caps of my current settings to help you help me...

60secondanomaly.png

bittorrentsettings.png

connectionsettings.png

connectionsettings2.png

Also some brief system information:

Windows Vista 64bit SP2

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz

4GB RAM

The torrent data is downloading to an external hard drive connected via USB 2.0

Any help in solving this irritation is GREATLY appreciated!

EDIT: Thanks, mods!

Thanks a ton for the links, Switeck. I read through them and some of them seemed unrelated while others were similar however I found that some of the fixes didn't apply to me (winxp fixes) and other solutions I've already tried. I appreciate the effort without a doubt, though!

I have a strange feeling that my ISP might be throttling since it seems like this is a problem no one can solve. lol.

Also, if anyone needs any further information regarding my settings or system please ask!

I think it's an obscure logic bug in uTorrent when it comes to choosing which peers to upload to. I know that the optimistic unchoke upload slot used to change which peer to upload to every 1 or 2 minutes -- but that happened to EVERY torrent at the same time so it can cause "ocean waves" as my link showed.

How many torrents do you have active?

Do they each have at least 10 peers?

Switeck, in the pictures show there are 2 active torrents. This occurs no matter the number of torrents whether it be 1 or 10. And yes I don't think I've ever downloaded anything with less than ten. Usually in the hundreds.

toser, I haven't tried to connect directly to the modem but I've been through several different manufacturers and models of routers and all with the same effect. I guess I should also mention that this is a wifi connection... though I'm not sure that would cause this?

Haha, sounds like quite a strange little bug. But again, I don't think I've ever had inactive torrents just sitting around. In the pictures there are 2 torrents active and that's it... no extras lingering around clutter up my view :P

Again thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

Greg, I disabled peer exchanged and restarted the program with no effect. Thanks for giving it a shot, though.

Switech, Yes this was occuring before 2.0 as well. You're going to have to explain to me a little more what uTP is as I couldn't find a setting for it? Sorry, bit of a noob when it comes to the more advanced settings. Also, I disabled tcp_rate_control and it seems like it helps... almost like it jumps back up to speed a little quicker but, unfortunately, the speed still nose dives every 60 seconds.

It could even be a very aggressive file indexer on your computer that goes nuts every 60 seconds. :(

(I've heard of viruses doing that anyway.)

advanced settings, bt.trans_disposition = 5 disables uTP.

In uT v2.0, uTP can also be disabled by unchecking Bandwidth Management in Preferences, BitTorrent.

That I have a list of examples like yours should tell you something -- I want to know what's causing the craziness, because I've seen it myself as a downloader but not had a clue what on the other end might be causing it. Your problems give me a rare chance to get to the bottom of what may be an issue for millions of people.

A more thorough check would be with HijackThis and Process Explorer (especially utorrent.exe's DLL list). I'm not really expecting to find a virus, but at this point I don't know what I'm looking for...just something "unusual".

That you had the problem with the ubuntu torrent means in your case the problem's either on your end (could still include a bug in uTorrent!) *OR* something your ISP is doing to your end. Neither seems very promising, but that's all I know at this time.

Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I went ahead and downloaded HijackThis and it spit out a list of things that I'm not quite sure what to do with... it is pretty long though. I also already have process explorer installed. I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for. Any hints?

Thanks, DreadWingKnight. Here are the results from hijack this

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 3:55:17 PM, on 2/19/2010

Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18882)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Sensible Vision\Fast Access\FATrayMon.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Sensible Vision\Fast Access\FATrayAlert.exe

C:\Users\Doug\AppData\Local\Google\Update\1.2.183.17\GoogleCrashHandler.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\AIM\aim.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Contacts\wlcomm.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe

C:\Users\Doug\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe

C:\Users\Doug\Documents\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://g.msn.com/USCON/1

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://g.msn.com/USCON/1

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer provided by Dell

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =

F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe

O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll

O2 - BHO: VIPTToolbarManager Class - {1A2641AE-2C42-4C51-A05F-8ECEC3FDC94D} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual IP Trace 2009\VisualIPTraceIE.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: Search Helper - {6EBF7485-159F-4bff-A14F-B9E3AAC4465B} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Search Helper\SEPsearchhelperie.dll

O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll

O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll

O2 - BHO: FAIESSO Helper Object - {A2F122DA-055F-4df7-8F24-7354DBDBA85B} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Sensible Vision\Fast Access\FAIESSO.dll

O2 - BHO: Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {E15A8DC0-8516-42A1-81EA-DC94EC1ACF10} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll

O2 - BHO: SMTTB2009 - {FCBCCB87-9224-4B8D-B117-F56D924BEB18} - C:\Program Files (x86)\SplitCam Toolbar\tbcore3.dll

O3 - Toolbar: &Windows Live Toolbar - {21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll

O3 - Toolbar: SplitCam Toolbar - {338B4DFE-2E2C-4338-9E41-E176D497299E} - C:\Program Files (x86)\SplitCam Toolbar\tbcore3.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Visual IP Trace - {E70C26AE-DFF1-40A8-8D37-19180F56F0AA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual IP Trace 2009\VisualIPTraceIE.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FATrayAlert] C:\Program Files (x86)\Sensible Vision\Fast Access\FATrayMon.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\Doug\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [iSUSPM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -scheduler

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [spybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

O4 - Startup: LimeWire On Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?

O4 - Global Startup: QuickSet.lnk = C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O8 - Extra context menu item: Send image to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: Send page to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm

O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll

O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: Send To Bluetooth - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Send to &Bluetooth Device... - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm

O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\hmipcore.dll

O13 - Gopher Prefix:

O16 - DPF: {254AA86E-5655-4518-AA87-185D7CC41801} (LogMeIn Rescue Technician Console) - https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/US/TechConsole/x86/RescueControl.cab

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{913A17FB-02FA-4695-B860-663B5D95A587}: NameServer = 192.168.1.1

O18 - Protocol: cozi - {5356518D-FE9C-4E08-9C1F-1E872ECD367F} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Cozi Express\CoziProtocolHandler.dll

O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll

O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL

O20 - Winlogon Notify: FastAccess - C:\Program Files (x86)\Sensible Vision\Fast Access\FALogNot.dll

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe

O23 - Service: CrossLoop Service (CrossLoopService) - CrossLoop Inc - C:\Users\Doug\AppData\Local\CrossLoop\CrossLoopService.exe

O23 - Service: @dfsrres.dll,-101 (DFSR) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\DFSR.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: FAService - Sensible Vision - C:\Program Files (x86)\Sensible Vision\Fast Access\FAService.exe

O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Acresso Software Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe

O23 - Service: GoToAssist - Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\GoToAssist\514\g2aservice.exe

O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe

O23 - Service: HideMyIpSRV - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hide My IP\HideMyIpSrv.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: LiveShare P2P Server 9 (RoxLiveShare9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxLiveShare9.exe

O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: SBSD Security Center Service (SBSDWSCService) - Safer Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\SLsvc.exe,-101 (slsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\SLsvc.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: uvnc_service - UltraVNC - C:\Users\Doug\AppData\Local\CrossLoop\winvnc.exe

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: wampapache - Apache Software Foundation - c:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.2.11\bin\httpd.exe

O23 - Service: wampmysqld - Unknown owner - c:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.1.36\bin\mysqld.exe

O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--

End of file - 12357 bytes

and since the Process Explorer log is so long I've uploaded it to google docs. The log file can be found here: http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ARUk95sA1ENQZGRkZHN4bXRfMTJna3gzc2tnYg&hl=en

I actually wasn't even aware there was any Roxio software on here. I'm not seeing anything in my Uninstall list... How can I go about disabling that or simply removing everything from Roxio? I wouldn't know how to go about it since it's not in the program list. :\ Thanks for the help, Firon.

Archived