Improve magnet handling.

mabsark

Developers' date='

I created this account specifically to post to this thread. [/quote']

+1

I hope an update is on the way, thepiratebay have stopped serving torrents as of yesterday and are only offering magnet links now.

http://thepiratebay.se/blog/208

I googled about the same problem today, followed the link here and I must say I absolutely agree - utorrent handles magnet links very badly. I sure hope you will fix it because otherwise I really like the program. It works perfectly and I'd be sad to have to change to something different because of this, but handling magnet links is pretty important since sites are switching to them....

After PirateBay dropped .torrent files, I decided to switch to another client. Here's example of proper .magnet links handling. I have a choice of either having links resolved to files, or not (if someone don't want/need to wait 15s for metadata search and download). Was it really so hard to implement something similar in µTorrent?

capture6757d6fg.jpg

Well the good thing it is being worked on and will be included as it is long overdue. Even if the "at dialog" takes a second or two before popping up (with another dialog saying "Please wait while we aquire the torrent file" so we know what is going on), it is needed.

Thank you.

Here to cast a vote more for this. I don't think anyone already mentioned this, even though files can be set not to download, the folder structure in the torrent is created which sucks.

I won't anymore use utorrent if there will be no solution to this issue - I would be so sad...

When using magnets I don't mind at all to use the files tab. The problem though is that I often have a long download queue. I set utorrent to only have 1 active download. I also like to "prioritize by file order" often but this is only possible when the full torrent has been downloaded. But this does not happen with a queued download until it becomes active. What I would like to see is the option to auto-start torrent download for all queued magnets even when they are not active yet. This way I don't have to keep monitoring them and I can select and prioritize way ahead and leave it alone until all downloads have finished. Of course I can force start the queued magnets and stop/restart them when the torrents are there but this is way too much of a hassle and it also can cause partial downloads when I don't want to have those yet.

I have a much better idea that may work out for everyone. When you start a magnet link, have the torrent dialog come, but have the option to enable or disable automatically obtaining the torrent's metadata from there. Or at least put a button in the dialog that says "Obtain info" so we can see the files. Really, the way its currently being done is next to useless. There are already a dozen torrent clients out there that have this feature yet uTorrent is still lagging behind in magnet link handling. This is a known problem webwide and most people want it fixed. I don't imagine its very hard to fix either. I find this basic feature very helpful, which is why I currently use Tixati.

• 2 weeks later...
I actually said we're planning on having the AT dialog refresh itself once it has the metadata. :)

I just wanted to add, that on my system, the Add Torrent dialog does not pop-up at all when I click on a magnet link; the magnet just gets added to uTorrent automatically. So changes to the AT dialog may not do much on this system...

However, I do run 2.0.4 (maybe that's the problem?) and I did have to edit the windoze registry to make magnets a filetype, so that I could add uTorrent as the handler in Firefox; maybe I screwed-up somewhere doing that?

Thank you.

Regards.

There are hundreds of people waiting for this feature: https://torrentfreak.com/torrent-less-pirate-bay-sees-massive-drop-in-bandwith-120308/. Please make it a priority. Thank you!

One of the most heard complaints is that it’s impossible to select individual files before starting a download. This can be problematic when people need only one single file from a huge archive. When downloading a .torrent people can select the file in question in a window before starting the download, but with magnets uTorrent users can’t (it it supported by BitComet and Vuze).

A possible fix for this can be to keep the detail window open until the full torrent has been downloaded. Obviously, these are issues for BitTorrent client developers and not The Pirate Bay.

Archived