[request] SSL

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
I would also like to see SSL support. It would instantly attract a higher userbase as a lot of new trackers are using ssl for obvious reasons ;)

Sorry, but I don't believe that it is obvious. By SSL you probably mean TLS pretty much the same thing. TLS= Transport Layer Security. IN other words someone can monitor your traffic but they can't see what you are sending. However, by the size of what you are sending it can be pretty easy to tell what you are sending. Nothing at the IP layer is protected so they know your address and any other vitals like that they want.

TLS is a good idea to impliment but don't start thinking it actually provides any real security.

Yeah well SSL 3.0 is pretty much TLS 1.0 and TLS is the standard these days although TLS and SSL are pretty much the same. I believe TLS is a comprimise of sorts, Netscape had SSL and M$ had some other implimentation so TLS has the best of both in a way. :)

Suffice to say, a lot of the time when people talk about SSL they mean TLS. :)

It is a good idea to include this feature as I am sure some trackers would require it, however I was just pointing out that it isn't as secure as some might think.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not that worried about the security of it, but there are quite a few secure trackers popping up now that use ssl, and I can only imagine it will become more common as another layer of protection. Consider this a vote for ssl :D. If this can be implemented, I can finally uninstall Azureus ;)

Add my vote for SSL/TSL

All it takes is them to compile 1 extra library in. It's not really that hard.

Wrong. They don't use external libraries if they can. They implement things from the base API's and build from there without any huge messy libraries, so it'll take more work than just adding it in.

• 1 month later...

Archived