PunBB

Loatroll

When you finish reading what you want to read, do you log out right away? If not, I suspect that this is the reason. It seems like PunBB measures a thread's "newness" based on when you log out (or when your session times out) and the time you log in. So if you never log out of the forum, and your session times out, new threads are considered new threads from that point on (not from the last thread you read). Kinda annoying, IMO.

that's not the problem he's having. he's saying that when he goes into a forum that is marked as having new messages - no new messages are showing up. sounds like an opera cookie/session issue.

and yes, as I and others have said, when you come to the site and there are new messages, they will stay marked until you close the session/logout, regardless of if you've read them or not.

and as someone pointed out, there is a mod that will mark topics you've read as actually being read - if they have not been posted in since being read.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@lament: Yeah... I didn't see the second half ScubaSteve's post (the edit), so I misunderstood him =P

Oh, I know about the new topics being marked until you logout/end session (and the workaround mod for it), since I was the first to report it =D

Edit: Wow, I'm trying Opera 9.0 right now, and it seems like the cache is working a lot more strongly in this version. I actually have to refresh the page before I see my updated post. Maybe it's Opera 9.0's cache that's at fault here (since I've never had this problem with Opera 8.5).

im using opera 9 and ive not had a problem with any other forum. it is only this one and this is the only forum i post on that uses punbb. so its not a problem with the browser but with the forum itself.

umm.. the forum is fine.

and before blaming the software' date=' you might want to 1) try another browser and 2) try another forum running punBB.

nobody else running Firefox or IE are having any problems, it appears..[/quote']

ive been using opera 9 since it was released and have never had a problem with any other forum software, whether it be phpbb, invision, vbulletin. so i can assure u its not the browser.

just been browsing forums abit more, and noticed that its marking this topic as having new posts even when the post was made by me. that is very unusual as ive never had the others do that either. theres definately somethin mysterious about this punbb.

just been browsing forums abit more, and noticed that its marking this topic as having new posts even when the post was made by me. that is very unusual as ive never had the others do that either. theres definately somethin mysterious about this punbb.

that's the way punBB works. you responded with a new reply to a topic, so naturally that topic would be marked as new, whether you made it or Joe Blow made it. it's still new. it's not going to differentiate who made it. and obviously you know that it was you who made it, because on the right, it shows who posted last in that topic.

what i do is what others have suggested: when you click "Show new posts since last visit", open each topic's "new posts" link in a separate tab and tackle each post that way..

seems like alot of hassle just to workaround a problem due to the board not operating as it should. its rather annoying sometimes seeing the forums being highlighted as having new posts in them on the forum index only to find that its not highlighting which actual topics have had posts when u enter that forum.

@lament: You can grab Opera 9 here. It's still a Technology Preview.

@ScubaSteve: I agree, but the reason this wasn't added was because PunBB's dev(s) didn't want to add "bloat" to the board (I don't see how something like this would be bloat -- it's almost a necessity if they're going to add a "Show new posts since last visit" feature). They're adding it to the next minor version bump (from 1.2.x to 1.3.x). I've never encountered such a problem with Opera 8.5, and from my very limited testing with Opera 9, the cache is a tad too active. I've mentioned this before, but I had to refresh the page before any of my edits show up on Opera 9, whereas with Opera 8.5, the changes show up immediately. I think at least part of the problem lies with Opera 9 (and the other part probably being, indeed, PunBB).

seems like alot of hassle just to workaround a problem due to the board not operating as it should. its rather annoying sometimes seeing the forums being highlighted as having new posts in them on the forum index only to find that its not highlighting which actual topics have had posts when u enter that forum.

I have used more than one system that includes this feature. Its using logic.

If you post in a topic - there is a new post...no matter who posted it.

And the topics aren't 'read/unread', they are 'new post/no new post'.

Its logic.

However, due to users complaining - this is getting changed as of 1.3 to 'read/unread'. So it can be just like your phpBB/IPB/whatever other crap there is.

Ultima - It wasn't a bloat issue, it was a logic issue. It actually doesn't really add that much bloat at all. You are correct on that point.

either way the current system of new post/no new post is pretty bad because even now that ive disaled my browsers cache it has still done it to me. its ok though punbb is still new and will develop in time. hopefully one day it will get as good as invision, then i can save some money and switch over.

either way the current system of new post/no new post is pretty bad because even now that ive disaled my browsers cache it has still done it to me. its ok though punbb is still new and will develop in time. hopefully one day it will get as good as invision, then i can save some money and switch over.

lol steve you're in denial.

it's an issue with Opera 9, not punBB. have you even tried it in Firefox or IE?

well thats funny since ive been using opera since about v7 and no other forum software has done this before. ive tried it now on phpbb, invision, vbulletin and smf. and they all work as expected. ive also disabled the cache on opera so it cant be that.

ill try it on IE for abit and see what happens.

PunBB is great! I didn't know it before. The only thing that bugs me about PunBB is that I can't view my own profile :/. But that's minor.

click your name on the left.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant I can't view my profile the way everyone views it. When I click on my name, I get the page to edit my profile.

The biggest problem with the conversion is your forums have essentially become a lonely island of your website. There is no linking back to your homepage and that can be disorienting and even infuriating to users. I would take time to properly edit some of the PunBB skin files to get links back and forth.

As much as well all love your opinion, please don't quote yourself. ~Sanchez

PunBB is great! I didn't know it before. The only thing that bugs me about PunBB is that I can't view my own profile :/. But that's minor.

click your name on the left.

Sorry' date=' I wasn't clear, I meant I can't view my prifle the way everyone views it. When I click on my name, I get the page to edit my profile.[/quote']

oh.. well that's because punBB assumes you already know everything about yourself.. :)

Archived