For the future ......

DutchDude

As torrents grow and a torrent mich consist of more and more files..... would it be a good idea to support .torrent files that are zipped ? I have noticed some .torrent file are 2.5+ MB..... Preferably you could have the client look at the first bytes to detect wether or not the .torrent file was zipped, instead of relying on the extension. This would also mean that a .torrent file that was zipped but not named .torrent.zip could be loaded.....

I do think this is something for the future though..... at this moment in time i haven't seen enough .torrent files around that would justify this support..... besides that it may also be the case that bandwidth's may increase in such a way that no one would worry about 10+ MB .torrent files :D

Sorry i see i made a slight mistake.... i mixed up mame 0.101 with Tosec Atari ST torrent.....

Tosec Atari ST Torrent has 26135 torrent-zipped files totalling 12250823477 bytes (11.4 GB) with a .torrent filesize of 2635905 bytes (2575 KB / 2.51 MB)... the Mame roms 101 torrent has 5842 files totalling 12882537507 bytes (11.9 GB) with a .torrent filesize of 355667 bytes (347 KB).....

I stand corrected (actually had a few beers).... but still this may become an issue in the future.....

Anyone can download the torrent file from pelasuredome to check this out...... no misleading intended.... just a slightly faulty brain-cell :D

I dunno. 11.4GB is a whole lot for a HD, correct? Imagine downloading the .rar that's like 7.6GB and extracting the files, which end up as 11.4GB? Now that's 19GB killed on the spot! Yes, you then delete the rar. Of course, this is a non issue with people who have like 200GB HD's. I'm running out of space quick, so i'm saying I'd rather go with the massive .torrent file. In any case, you're still correct that RAR'ing the file is much more efficient. I just think that maybe the person who made the .torrent probably thought along the same lines as me. So, yeah, this could be a valid issue, IMO.

That's my take on it, at least. It all depends on the needs. I need a bigger HD. :rolleyes:

NiteShdw, they use TorrentZip on each individual romset so people can update their sets without having to re-download everything. I have to admit, it actually works, and very well at that. I only have to get about 80-100MB every time they update MAME, instead of the entire 11GB :)

If they rared the entire thing, it'd completely destroy that purpose. That, and the emulators tend to not support anything besides zip anyway.

Just to help you understand NiteShdw:

Every rom (1 or more files) is zipped.... after zipping it is tagged with a CRC to identify the roms as it sits in the zip (This is the job of torrentzip, so torrentzip does not actually zip anything, just adds a CRC in the comment of the archive).

This principle helps to identify 'corresponding roms', and if a rom does not match it can easily be deleted. Then the user rejoins the updated .torrent, and completes the set with minimal data-exchange. So nothing is lost.... but a whole lot is gained.

Imagine, as Firon has explained, having evrytime to download the entire 11.9+ GB of a romset, just to have those few updated/changed roms.... it would ruine your ratio :P

Archived