user mapped-section open???

crutchfiea1

Okay, I just found this thread buy googling "torrent error the requested operation cannot be performed". Due to the length of this thread, I think it should be restated in a sticky or something (at least, any confirmed solutions) so as to make it easier on the reader. I'm sure that there are many solutions for many similar problems in this thread that are only helpful if you are able to glean your personal solution from the proper page (at 7 pages right now) and have a little knowledge in the first place.

I glanced through and saw that a few people mentioned hitting the exceptions in AVG's resident shield, so I went about trying my own solution... not sure if it is mentioned in this way already. I apologize if I am adding to user confusion... but here is my solution:

1. Stopped and deleted the download. (I did this because I wanted to make sure I could do it from the beginning.)

2. Start a new download with the file changing directory after completion. (I did this to keep from accidentally using the file without it having some form of virus scan before opening.)

3. Pause or Stop the download before it pops the error.

4. Bring up AVG and go to Resident Shield --> Manage Exceptions --> Add Exception.

5. Browse to the folder of the downloading file (this might be problematic if the torrent isn't downloading a foldered structure, but in my case it is) and select that single download.

6. Clicked OK and exited the GUI for AVG.

I have not gotten another error on that file. So... in hind site, I realize that I should set all downloads to move on completion. In this way, I can add my downloading folder to the exceptions in full... then the downloaded files should get popped by resident shield upon moving to another folder that is not in the exceptions list... anybody see a problem with this or does it sound about right?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fix is a choice of 2 choices below and ends up being same process:

1. Go to uTorrent (1.8.5) Options, Preferences (Ctrl+P), under General TAB – go down to 4th window: "When downloading" and make sure there is a check mark in box before "Append .!ut to incomplete files", click OK. Go back to uTorrent (1.8.5), click on downloading, look for link(s) with red x, right click on red x, from drop down window, and choose start. OR Go back to uTorrent (1.8.5), left click on downloading, look for link(s) with red x, left click once on red x (this high lights torrent with red x), on tool bar, click start button/icon.

OR

2. Make a new file in file already used for download uTorrent (1.8.5) links. Then go to installed anti virus (AV), putt an exception into AV "not to" scan/check new download file, and save. Go to uTorrent (1.8.5) Options, Preferences (Ctrl+P), under Directories TAB – go down to 1ST window: "Location of Downloaded Files" and change "Put new downloads in:" [location of new down load file], and then change "Move completed downloads to:] location of (old) download file and "hope" when the file is moved your anti virus catches any errors (my AV did and/or does).

IS THIS CORRECT?

"I prefer not to mess with AV settings and exceptions".

Want to thank EVERYONE for providing help and following info in their threads:

hackhavn Thread #132 provides steps to disable the scanning of individual files using ThreatFire.

yoursavior Thread #157 provides steps to disable the scanning of individual files using AVG.

There were many suggestions attempting to resolve "user mapped-section open" predicament, and a "sum what" friendly exchange of ideas, in support of resolving "user mapped-section open" predicament. Thanks to all who attempted to provide "any reasonable" information (to them at least) in resolving "user mapped-section open" predicament. Thanks to all and to all "Happier Holidays".

I'M definitely in need of a "LIFE SOMEWHERE ELSE – 4 SURE".

• 2 weeks later...

I kept getting user mapped section opened error. After trying numerous thing posted on the net. I finally downloaded to a memory stick and I didn't have another problem. Then I transferred the downloaded file onto my hard drive. Worked for me. I'd still like to know what the problem was with the error but for now I'll take it.

If you are using AVG Anti-virus is causing the issue. Here is the solution:

1. Open AVG resident shield.

2. Choose manage exceptions.

3. Under Resident Shield Directory Excludes choose Add Path

4. Browse to your torrent download directory

5. Choose OK

But then again if you disable your av scanning the downloads folder you wont have much protection!!!

I am using utorrent etc years and have been messing with this problem about 2 days now and only sorted it by doing this for now as it cannot be real solution,might have get a different antivirus software.

So I've finally found a solution that ACTUALLY works.

The error is to do with your computer indexing and trying to index locations that utorrent is using. Here's the relevant section of uTorrent's Help :

"If you are using any desktop search or indexing software (whether or not it is known to cause file access issues), then you should either configure the application's indexing service to exclude any directory uTorrent is using from being indexed. Such directories include any directory uTorrent is downloading to or uploading from, and uTorrent's settings directory. "

So go to your control panel and select "Indexing options"

I'm using Windows 7 so not sure the layout on other OSs, but it's probably pretty similar. There should be an 'Advanced' option and then select the 'file types' tab. Uncheck the box for torrent files.

In the locations option uncheck the box for the folder you are downloading to

Someone mentioned about downloading straight to a flash drive - this would also work because it's not an indexed location.

No need to mess around with AVG exceptions, reinstalling Windows, etc. Hoorah!

• 4 weeks later...

After reading through three pages of this thread and then discovering there is a right-click menu for the downloading torrents (I'm still new to the program) I solved my issue by simply selecting 'Force Start' whenever the error occurred. The file I encountered the problem with completed fine and runs perfectly well.

I'm so glad I found a way around that doesn't involve messing with computer settings.

And for the record I am using a Windows 7 laptop with AVG security.

Alistu and others having the same problem with uTorrent and AVG or any other program that does active scanning of all incoming traffic. That is all downloaded software and images that what you need to do is setup a active download folder and a completed download folder for you downloaded files via uTorrent's preferences(directories). Then in AVG's Resident Shield make an exemption for the active download folder. You can also do this for other malware or anti virus software packages. This exemption is only for your Temporary uTorrent download directory. it is like Microsoft's temp folder that is used to download files through. You are still scanning the file product that is downloaded when your AV scanner runs its scheduled scans. I don't exempt it there.

My question to those that are using uTorrent and are not getting this problem every what are you using to protect your system that is not causing problems.....? are you really that protected? or does this just show that AVG is truly protecting the system by looking at ever thing that comes into the system. I feel the later. also as a rule of thumb I scan most downloads individually before I use them anyway no matter what it is.

example of the folder configuration: C:\Users\XXXXXXX\TransitTorrents (not Finished) for my temp folder and C:\Users\XXXXXXX\Torrents XXXXXXX=my user name

This is an example of a Windows 7 or vista setup. If WinXP I would put it in two different folders under C:\.

AVG is just doing its job. This scanning feature is built into the down-loader's in most browsers and is scanned after the download is complete and after it is copied from the temp folder to it's final folder.(where you tell to save the file) (watch it one time to see how the browsers get around this problem without asking the user)

To the forum admins and elites thanks for your help in this problem in the past.

Hackhavn

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am not a uTorrent user but I have to congratulate you on a fantastic forum topic. I had the same problem using Bittorrent (cured by the measures contained above - create a download directory specific for torrent files and exclude it in AVG Resident Shield; mark the files incomplete - they are .!bt over here) I ultimately came to you because I couldn't find any mention of this error message on the Bittorrent site or a similar bittorrent forum.

The other most noticeable effect with the Resident Shield exclusion was that the torrent download speed accelerated between three and four-fold over previous experiences

Once again - Many thanks

I have used uTorrent for a while now, it's good, but lately on downloads I get this message on my 1.8.5 version:

The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open.

What in the blue hell does this mean, & is it a common glitch in this version. I would use the latest version, but several places I download from ban it. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

• 2 weeks later...

i'm using uTorrent 2.0.1 (recently updated)

Windows 7

AVG 9.0

i got this error twice, first with uT 1.8, torrent Asterios_Polyp___David_Mazzucchelli___Graphic_Novel_cbz: i re-checked and force-started this torrent, i got the error a few more times, but it finally finished.

more recently, with uT 2.0.1, i got the error with torrent FL Studio XXL 9.0.0. i think the file FLengine.dll was causing the error (it was the only yet incomplete file in the list when the error appeared). tried rechecking and force-starting, but continued to get the error at 99.8%. ***i ended the AVG process in task manager, force-started the torrent, and it finished in a few seconds.

hope this helps.

(and does anyone know any easy way to configure AVG so this doesn't continue to happen. sorry, i haven't read the latest posts on the topic, and am not that tech-savvy.)

Archived