Firefox RAM Problem Fİxed

webdr

The only thing I see that might help with the memory problem is the browser.cache.memory.capacity setting. Everything else seems to be "speed" tweaks (which not everybody might want enabled anyhow). If anything, it'd probably be easier to set browser.cache.memory.capacity to 65536 in about:config.

Hm... Opera did use less memory than Firefox 1.0.x, but when compared to Firefox 1.5 with the above tweaks, it's harder to recommend it... I used to use Opera too, but I found that it was using upwards of 100MB of RAM, and that usage didn't drop below 50-70MB until I restarted the browser. With the Firefox tweaks above, I can just minimize the browser and clear the RAM now xD

I tried Opera for a while as well ( following a recommendation in these forums), but decided to stick with firefox. I was impressed with the speed Opera offers but the lack of numerous extensions and the fact that it is not open source made me go back to FF.

opera uses a tiny amount of ram compared to ff but it's just a browser and nothing else..

with the many extensions of firefox it's not just a browser

adblock, remove it permanently.. u can cut off everything and see what u want to see with no external applications

the speed is almost the same.. opera looks a bit faster, but firefox just pwnz.. (yeah the memory usage pwnz too)

As much as I love Firefox, if Ludde made "µBrowser" I'd be the first to jump ship. Tried Opera many times, but no thanks. Tabbing doesn't work as it should and the position is awkward, to say the least. I just don't know what's wrong with it, but Opera just doesn't "feel" right. Hopefully when I fully switch to Linux I'll be able to use a slimmed-down Konqueror (if that's even possible), and if not, I guess I'll have to keep using Firefox. :)

@hofshi and @dAbReAkA i agree with you

you can manage .css,menus in opera but that is it,it is not totaly open source

on the other hand i should say that opera is really fast

in my opinion a browser should behave like a browser,it shouldnt contain mail,irc...etc

it is wrong to tell people 'look at me i have got a lot of things come and use me'

in this case extension is the keyword

in myopera forums you can see a lot of posts like 'why i use opera and why i dont use firefox'

at the end it is a choice

but folks i could buy extra 256 mb RAM for firefox :)

I find it interesting that a lot of the Firefox users are bashing Opera for not being open-source and not supporting extensions. These are two "features" that µTorrent has, and it's taken a bit of criticism from the Azureus team and others as a result of it, except you same people seem to be defending these choices for µT..

Tried Opera many times, but no thanks. Tabbing doesn't work as it should and the position is awkward, to say the least.

If you had looked into the settings you can set tabs to work the same as Firefox. (tools -> preferences -> advanced -> browsing -> cycle tabs -> cycle tabs without showing list) Having said that, the default behaviour is the same as windows' Alt+Tab and makes a lot more sense to me...

you can manage .css,menus in opera but that is it,it is not totaly open source

in my opinion a browser should behave like a browser,it shouldnt contain mail,irc...etc

it is wrong to tell people 'look at me i have got a lot of things come and use me'

in this case extension is the keyword

you can also use UserJS, which is similar to firefox extensions...

as for the mail and IRC, i like the IRC in opera since I'm not a big user of it, and I simply don't like mIRC.. but the mail, yeah, I would prefer it not to be in Opera (just as many would prefer the RSS reader not to be in µT). In the end, Opera is still a lot more resource-efficient than its competition (Firefox) even with these features built-in.

there are a lot of similarities between Opera and µTorrent, IMO.. similarly between Firefox and Azureus - but Azureus is like Firefox with a lot of extensions already installed. (Firefox gets really slow once you install a bunch of extensions..)

Nah, I want µBrowser...*hint*Ludde*hint*...the one browser to rule them all. :P

hey, I would try it.. :P but methinks that a browser is too much work for one man.. and even if/when ludde gets bored of writing it, he open-sources it, it would be difficult to find developers I think.. Firefox gets all the attention. :(

nope.. firefox!=azureus..

maybe memoryusage(firefox)==memoryusage(azureus)

Firefox is still more memory efficient than Azureus, IMO. The main similarity I was talking about was the fact that it has a crapload of extensions, and a lot of people use it just for that, slowing it down heaps...

Archived