custom limit menu

Knight

Wow, never even saw that there. Not very intuitive, but helpful now that I know it exists.

Perhaps some entry to enter your amount would fix it, and could be quickly implemented...or just opens the configuration to that pane. Hm?

I know I wouldn't say no to it :rolleyes:

..if Knight mean that the menu (in status bar) should behave more like the azureus menu that changes when you choose the speed limit I agree. so when you choose 80 for example, the next values would be 70-75-85-90 or something like that.

Instead of a custom menu, the right click menu could be based on the existing global limit. For example, if you have it currently set to 20KB/s, the menu would show 10, 20, 30, 40. If you have it set to 50KB/s, it would show 30, 40, 50, 60, etc. Azureus does something similar.

Personally, I think this idea would best be served by an Automatic Speed Limiter that would adjust the upload speed automatically based on a PING. That way, you would never have to adjust your upload speed at all, except maybe to set it to "Automatic" or "Unlimited".

I really believe that MANUAL limiting is far less effective than AUTOMATIC limiting, especially for people less familiar with internet connection speeds.

There is no perfect way to adjust your upload limit. Using ping is about as good as it gets. It's definately more effective then adjusting your upload limit manually. It's better then using a schedule to set it. It's also better then to modify your upload cap based on your download speed. The only scenario I can see where it wouldn't be useful is if you have a full duplex connection, and either only use it by yourself or don't care about what upload speeds others sharing your connection gets.

The best way to adjust your limit is use the "golden number" of about 80% of your actual upload bandwidth when downloading.

And if you wanna be precise with your upload limitations, just do it in the configuration. Options -> Preferences -> Network Options. Takes all of 10 seconds to do. =P

Chaos, why do you think everyone is lazy? Most of us simply want to maximize the capabilities of utorrent. Wanting the right click menu on the status bar to change based on current limits it not because of laziness. You seem to think the worst of people and that everyone is lazy. The right click menu on the staus bar is convienient and effecient, and it should also adapt to the user's capabilities. This feaure would not be hard to implement and it would undoubtably save time for almost all users. Whether or not you want to admit it, you all know this would be a convienient feature that would be used on almost any machine.

Just started using this after a trial run of about a few days. I'll insert my comment on the speed adjustment suggestion.

I do would like to see a bit of more finer control over our bandwidth speed (be it upload or download). I do not mind the limits set now. And they are fine for the moment. But I maximize my upload to balance how I handle my connection (ie, gaming or file sends).

A custom listing of upload or download speed would be good to have, configured using the Preference dialog box. The dialog would give us a finite number of entries (say 10?) for both upload and download speeds. A blank entry or 0 would end the listing should we only desire less than the maximum number of user-defined limits. That way, we can have something say 20K/s for normal upload, 35K/s for max, 10K/s for file sending/uploading, 15K/s for gaming, or for those with faster upload speeds 50K/s.

I'm all for a user-defined list of speed limits. Things are fine right now. So it matters little to me either way if it gets implemented or not.

Im not thinking anything bad about anyone. Im tired of people asking that uTorrent do everything possible for them even if all it will do is spare them YET ANOTHER CLICK.

Please.. A feature to turn 3 clicks into one was already done, and now you want even a click to be somewhat automatic ? Why dont you hire a servent to to search for the torrents you want instead of you and be done with it.

Please.. A feature to turn 3 clicks into one was already done, and now you want even a click to be somewhat automatic ? Why dont you hire a servent to to search for the torrents you want instead of you and be done with it.

Is there any reason in particular that you enjoy the inconvience of going into the options menu in order to select the appropiate upload or download limit? It is not a matter of being lazy, you don't seem to understand this, chaos, we are not lazy bastards. We simply want utorrent to maximize its capabilites, and provide the best experience for all users. Tell me, chaos, would you use this feature? Would you find it convienient if it were implemented? I understand that you have a different opinion than some of us, but you really need to adjust your viewpoint on the proper reasons for implementing features. It gets annoying to read through the feature requests and have to put up with your posts on every topic citing how we are all lazy and utorrent should be as barbone as possible. Change is good, let it happen, you'll probably enjoy the end result anyways.

See, thats the funny thing about MY VIEWPOINT. It's mine. If i think some features' only addition is cutting down on the number of clicks, Thats my opinion to keep. I never did, nor will, consider anyone being a 'lazy bastard' because of it. I simply believe that the feature is useless, So im voicing my opinion. If you dont like it, im sorry, but thats too bad. Your entitled to your opinions and likes, as am i.

it would take what? like 10 lines of code, if that... we're just saying we'd apreciate it, sorry you dont feel the same way chaosblade. if you want a client that doesnt have simple features that take up miniscule amounts of code then write your own.

Simple features ? We've gone far beyond 'simple'. Why dont YOU go code your own SIMPLE-FEATURED client then ? Would satisfy both you and me, It seems.

Knight: I dont think most users need to change their limits 20 times a day unless they have this obsession to keep both BT, Emule, DC, FlashGet, FTP client, and 10 HTTP downloads all running at once.

Archived