Very slow download speed, even after changes from Speed Issues guide

dlzmu5

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@rafi

I have checked for that torrent but "it can not be found on server" :P. That is no problem, because i tried several torrents with Linux distributions, and all of them have more seeds than peers, so in my case they run without any problem:

...But i have found some overseeded torrent (2x more seeds than peers) and i have got approx 500kB/s on download (and 30kB/s on upload, normally i have 20kB/s down., 1kB/s up)!...

...EDIT:

Just checked next overseeded torrent (something like 15x more seeds than peers!), and got approx 350kB/s on download, but now upload was very low, 0,5kB/s.

These torrents were Slackware distribution and some GTA San Andreas copy, so i think Your torrent is also overseeded and it would run very good :).

I will try to do things You mentioned in Your Migration topic, maybe these will help...

@Switeck

I have never save or even run Utorrent's log, because there are many thing to log and i do not know which of them are usefull and which are useless, maybe You could tell me which information is nessecery for logging?

EDIT:

Oh, i forgot to tell You one important thing... I play MMO game called Wolfteam and it uses BitTorrent DNA protocol to share data with other users when they download the game for the first time. I am giving You link to downloader, so You can see what i am talking about:

Downloader

http://download.aeriagames.com/files/games/us/wolfteam/csd/Wolfteam_Downloader_20100804.exe

BTDNA website:

http://www.bittorrent.com/dna

The btdna.exe proccess starts with my system, but i do not know if it is connecting with BitTorrent only when someone download the game, or even if i PLAY the game. Even if i downloaded updated version of Woflteam through HTTP protocol (directly from website), BTDNA has been installed on my computer (btdna.exe has been found in game's folder).

Another thing that could be connected with my problem is that i found installed on my PC something called Akamai Netsession Interface. I think it have not been installed with Wolfteam, because i have not found it on second computer with Wolfteam installed, but i am not 100% sure to that. I have never installed something like that but Revo Uninstaller has shown me date: 06.07.2010, and three days after that BTDNA has been installed. Also huge size of this file was strange for me (630MB when BTDNA has something like 0,5 MB :o). These two things are connected with Wolfteam because it has been installed somewhen around that date and the installer's size is similar with Akamai, so i decided to check Akamai's folder, and in it i found... Wolfteam's installer :P. Even after that invention i do not know how that thing has been installed on my PC... I went to Control Panel and found something like this about Akamai:

NetSession interface improves the quality of services through the use of limit further transmission of the files that were recently downloaded to your computer. This file sharing has little impact or no impact on computer performance degradation. Transfer function can be disabled or enabled at any time. ***TRANSLATED WITH GOOGLE TRANSLATE***

Maybe these information will tell You more about my problem.

Best regards, dlzmu5

In my router's Device Info tab i have found something like that:

LAN IP Address: 192.168.1.1

Default Gateway: 213.25.2.118

Primary DNS Server: 194.204.152.34

Secondary DNS Server: 194.204.159.1

That LAN IP Address is for router... my IP over the LAN is 192.168.1.2 and for second computer it is 192.168.1.3

In my log i found WAN IP which was active when i had made that log: 83.7.121.29 (i have dynamic IP), but i do not know what is remote IP.

From now, i will start logging Utorrent

Your modem log shows some entries that are produced by its firewall, showing remote ip's("SRC") that were trying to enter your network ("DST", you) (212.244.16.241, 219.139.33.67, 89.0.162.250, etc).

What I think Switeck is trying to do - by matching your modem log against utorrent log - is make sure that those blocked ip's do not correspond to peer ip's trying to connect to your utorrent client.

Here i am giving You link to new router's log and Utorrent's log:

http://rapidshare.com/files/417429318/logview2.zip

http://pastebin.com/Q2qmmyss

Download speed of that torrent was approx 500 kB/s (torrent was NOT overseeded), but in Utorrent's log i found something strange... When i do not download any torrent my router (192.168.1.1) tries to connect with Utorrent huge amount of times and then Utorrent tells him that he "can not find such a torrent". Is it normal? You can see that clearly at the end of Utorrent's log

Best regards, dlzmu5

BTW, did You read my EDIT in previous post? I want to be sure if that processes do not interfere with Utorrent.

By "remote ips", I meant ips elsewhere on the internet that your uTorrent is either trying to connect outgoing to...or they're trying to connect as an incoming connection to your computer.

One thing seems obvious, you have severe loopback issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loopback

...But your computer probably isn't using the classic 127.0.0.1 IPv4 address to do loopbacks.

Instead uTorrent "sees" your computer's LAN, gateway, and WAN IPv4 and possibly even Teredo/native IPv6 addresses as both possible peers/seeds to connect to and also possible outgoing routes to connect through to reach those ips. With the myriad of possible routes to connect to/from any of these ips, uTorrent attempts basically all the ips at regular intervals for basically every torrent running.

Worse, your uTorrent logger is showing connection attempts "from" 192.168.1.1 for torrents that uTorrent doesn't even seem to have! This means either mangled data packets (unlikely, as they'd fail crc and/or likely be junk/jibberish) or these are really peers/seeds on the internet that get "rebranded" as coming from 192.168.1.1 possibly due to deliberate iptable mangling or as a side-effect of...

"dnsprobe[597]: dns query failed", "kernel: dst cache overflow", "kernel: MASQUERADE: No route: Rusty's brain broke!"

Hopefully a partial workaround for this is to simply block all of the computer's "self" addresses.

Try blocking both the computer's LAN and WAN ips as well as the gateway LAN ip in uTorrent using ipfilter.dat

Best guess from your posts are you need these ips blocked on your 192.168.1.2 computer:

192.168.1.1 (gateway - from the router)

192.168.1.2 (computer #1's LAN ip)

83.7.92.200 (computer's and router's WAN/internet ip, which may often change!)

you need these ips blocked on your 192.168.1.3 computer:

192.168.1.1 (gateway - from the router)

192.168.1.3 (computer #2's LAN ip)

83.7.92.200 (computer's and router's WAN/internet ip, which may often change!)

Notice that computer #1 and #2 has to block their OWN LAN ip address but *NOT* the other computer's LAN ip address...or they could not connect to each other.

I don't know if you have any Teredo/native IPv6 addresses, but those can be blocked as well by ipfilter.dat though their text format is special.

I'm interested in the results of pinging your internet default gateway (the 213.25.x.x one, not to be confused with the router's LAN gateway) and pinging your internet Primary DNS Server. Did those time out or have a really high ping time?

I did read your EDIT in your previous post. Those processes (Wolfteam, BitTorrent DNA protocol, and Akamai Netsession Interface) probably do or at least can interfere with uTorrent at least under worst-case scenarios. Shut them down if you can and maybe even reboot before testing uTorrent.

I posted a link to this message thread in uTorrent's IRC channel, in the hopes a uTorrent developer would look at this...but they're very busy right now with the monumental changes going from uTorrent v2.0.x to v3.0.

I tried to find that ipfilter.dat but without any results, so i decided to search for it over Internet. I found some topic about Utorrent IP Filter updater.

Link: http://digiex.net/computing-section/guides-tutorials/937-enable-update-ip-filter-block-list-utorrent-ipfilter-dat.html

I installed it and updated Filter's list but, when i opened ipfilter.dat, i did not know what to do to block IPs You gave me. Could You tell me what i should enter into that file?

BTW, do You think that Updater will be usefull?

EDIT:

Just have checked those pings You were talking about:

Default Gateway: 27ms (without any changes)

Primary DNS Server: approx 37ms (with small changes like +5ms, but for ONE packet i received 106ms)

6hneat.png

Both of them tested with 50 packets

Best regards, dlzmu5

I have just blocked only two of IPs You provided, because i can not block my WAN IP due to that, it changes every 24h, so my question is, have i to change that ip every time i want to download torrents? I will see if these changes helped.

EDIT:

Blocked third IP also, and checked results, but nothing helped...

Best regards, dlzmu5

Have you shut down those processes - Wolfteam, BitTorrent DNA protocol, and Akamai Netsession Interface - like Switek suggested before re-testing utorrent?

Also, have you upgraded to your latest modem/router system version?

Your dst cache overflow messages are puzzling me, aren't they a signal that either you're trying to get too many simultaneously connections, or have a faulty modem software? As far as my little experience with all this stuff indicates - and a couple of googles on that - those messages relate to simultaneous connections.

"have i to change that ip every time i want to download torrents?"

You will have to replace the WAN IP in ipfilter.dat every time it changes.

I didn't catch whether you had native IPv6 or Teredo/IPv6 present, as that could be a problem as well.

If you have a wireless card on the computer, you may need to block its ip address(es) as well!

"Your dst cache overflow messages are puzzling me"

If uTorrent is making loopbacks through the router trying to contact itself 4+ different ways, it may contribute significantly to filling up the router's destination cache once it runs for hours.

"If uTorrent is making loopbacks through the router trying to contact itself 4+ different ways, it may contribute significantly to filling up the router's destination cache once it runs for hours"

I see...that would explain why those dst messages showed up (in dizmu's first modem log) only after he started utorrent.

But why would utorrent try to contact itself by making loopbacks throuhg the router?

Sorry if I intrude myself on other's issues, but my only intention is to help and learn more, and I hope my intrusions don't blur the focus on dizmu's issues and Switek's suggestions.

"Instead uTorrent "sees" your computer's LAN, gateway, and WAN IPv4 and possibly even Teredo/native IPv6 addresses as both possible peers/seeds to connect to and also possible outgoing routes to connect through to reach those ips."

uTorrent has limited awareness of its own ip -- often learned through UPnP. But often UPnP is disabled or doesn't work right, as most routers suck at UPnP. uTorrent accepts ips from other seeds/peers via DHT/LPD/PEX, including possibly its own WAN/LAN/other ips. These duplicate/self ips are considered different peers/seeds until tested.

Any connecting ip with the same peer id and/or some other self-matching criteria is supposed to be (silently?) blocked.

If that fails the retry rate remains high, because the tested ip shows up as "online".

So if the WAN ip is repeatedly tried, the computer sees "incoming connections" potentially coming from localhost, the router's LAN gateway ip (often 192.168.1.1), or even the last hop ip of the modem! (Some/many use LAN ips internally in their network, as seen by traceroutes.) This can occur because the router remaps the source ip via NAT. Blocking those does not block the connection attempt, since it's blocking the wrong ip/s.

...Which is why ipfilter.dat has to include the real WAN and LAN ips, to prevent loopback connection attempts to them.

OK, i have entered these addresses to ipfilter.dat :

Should i enter something more?

Also try adding the router's gateway LAN ip to the list in ipfilter.dat.

I have only found something like Default Gateway but i do not know if that is the same You mean.

Best regards, dlzmu5

Have just tested again, but that did not help... I saw that torrents which have about same seeds and peers quantity also work as overseeded ones but download speed is only approx 250 kB/s (same with upload - about 5 kB/s).

Maybe You could find something on my PC via "remote desktop", because i do not know if i had given You all important things.

Best regards, dlzmu5

Archived