new UI is UGLY!

XmDXtReMeK

I also registered just to complain about the UI. I do have to thank you for at least providing a decent "fallback" alternative with the old skin. Using the 2.0.4 skin and turning off the progress bar colors did bring back some semblance of the old skin, but it still bothers me that this is what the devs from this point forward are thinking is a good UI.

The app now looks to try to be a Web 2.0 app, which I don't like. I thought utorrent's old minimalistic look was the appealing thing about the application. It fit in with the whole "tiny and lightweight" thing that the app is still very good at doing. The UI gives it a sense that it's trying to be something different than it's not. It's a VERY solid BitTorrent client, nothing more, nothing less.

As another poster has mentioned, there's now way too much wasted white space, and the colors look very gaudy. The icons look too "flashy", which contrasts with the minimalistic and straightforward approach of the client. The "New Apps!" and Search categories are an eyesore, but I'm glad you gave the option to turn it off.

Ultimately however, I do think the UI should be reverted back to its pre 2.2 state. As someone said, I hate the whole "if you don't like it, well, fix it yourself" response that was given earlier in thread that is reminiscent of a lot of FOSS projects, I think the devs need to shift their focus on trying to create a UI to other parts of the client (though I already think the client is extremely solid in its current state).

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, while registering for the same reason as many in this thread, I think they go too far. Just by reading an announcement of new release and looking through updated menus and preferences you can revert almost everything to how it was, and you need to do it just ONCE, so does it really matter how many clicks away it is? It doesn't take more than 5 minutes.

There are two things you cannot revert back (or maybe I just didn't find a way to) - left pane and tray icon. Well, new icon is a matter of getting used to it (it'd be nice to have an option to place an image somewhere to make it utorrent icon, though), but I think that left pane should really have an option - whether view it as a tree or as simple list, as it was. Tree is useful when you have many elements in it, but if there're too few of them (for example I have just 1 feed and 3 labels), it just takes extra space and makes navigation less comfortable (as you have to move your focus not just up-down, but left-right as well)

I also don't really like web-like interaction, but oh well, it's just me. Links feel a bit strange to be used this way.

UPD: lol, just run uT 2.0.4 for a minute, then run 2.2 again - tray icon reverted back o-O Or is it just windows caching tray icons?

It is super ugly! The left pane is HORRID! I reverted back to 2.0.4 when uTorrent was usable and not the ugly UI it is now with the horribly retarded looking left pane! The left pane should NOT be so retarded as to extend up past the toolbar! The UI needs to remain uniform the new one is ugly and unbalanced! Looks aweful. Than it has the stupid apps garbage showing in the left pane and a useless search in the left pane for find contents! You want to include a find put it in the toolbar where it belongs. The new UI looks like it was designed by a child! The window is not balanced at all and the left pane extending past the toolbar and having a useless app button is aweful. Well I went back to 2.04 again when the UI was what it should be a useable balanced non ugly UI that is functional not ugly eye candy.

Not only that the damn skin browser is a damn joke.. try to do a search for btskin and it gives google links and other links to everything but a damn skin! can't even search the skins in the skin browser.. aweful!

IThe left pane should NOT be so retarded as to extend up past the toolbar! Than it has the stupid apps garbage showing in the left pane and a useless search in the left pane for find contents!

Seriously, did you try to search 2 seconds the display options in 2.2 to revert back to 2.0.4 display?

Because it asks just one click in Options menu. Sometimes the most retarded thing is the CTKI, you know.

First of all, I haven't read the whole thread and I registered solely to post in this thread. I was quite fond of the old UI and do not like the new UI in 2.2. But what bothers me more is that uTorrent more and more starts to feel like bloatware now. The flashy button icons, the App section (what the hell?), the new search functions.. it's just not the same lightweight torrent client it used to be. For now I will be reverting back to the old version. If nothing is being done about it I will be searching for a new torrent client, because frankly, this is unacceptable.

First of all, I haven't read the whole thread and I registered solely to post in this thread. I was quite fond of the old UI and do not like the new UI in 2.2. But what bothers me more is that uTorrent more and more starts to feel like bloatware now. The flashy button icons, the App section (what the hell?), the new search functions.. it's just not the same lightweight torrent client it used to be. For now I will be reverting back to the old version. If nothing is being done about it I will be searching for a new torrent client, because frankly, this is unacceptable.

My thoughts exactly. It's like Azureus all over again. Thankfully using the old skin and various tweaks it can be made to look 99% like the old one.. hopefully it stays that way in future releases as well.

I'm another person who registered an account just to say something about the new UI.

First off, I want to say that µTorrent is the best torrent application I have ever had the pleasure of using, and it always gets the job done while staying out of the way and looking great; until now...

The new UI is horrible, right off the bat. My first issue is the button icons. Right when I opened after updating, I did not know what I was looking at. The buttons are just I can't even discribe. A person has to see for themselves. However, this can be fixed with a quick reskin (which I already did, thanks to this thread), but that goes against the whole minimalist look and point of µTorrent.

Now, things that can't be as readily changed. For example, the tree-like layout in the category list. This just is inconvinient and makes it unable to be read smoothly. This I could not find an option to change. Second, the reordering of all the tabs. This is something that has happened many times before, and like staff members in this thread said, it happens every time a new tab option gets added, so that isn't too bad. Third, the icon. The sideways µ looks fucking rediculous and was almost the last straw before I just said "I'm done with µTorrent" and moved on. While I was able to find older quick launch icons (old circle http://user.utorrent.com/skins/download/id/79 , square http://user.utorrent.com/skins/download/id/1232 ), the title icon and taskbar icon I cannot change from the rediculous slant circle µ (if there is some way to do this, I would be more than happy if someone shared it).

Overall, this build is, UI-wise, looking like a piece of crap. Please make the DEFAULT UI the good and simple one. The people that like things like this one can always download it as a skin later. I have never had to have a forum account here before, and am disappointed I needed to make one now just to complain about something like the UI.

Another vote for ugly UI. I have reskined back to 2.0.4 but the tray icon is still that hideous slanted u in a circle.

The square u of 2.0.4 looked as though it was designed by a professional grahics artist; the new one by my pet goldfish Ralph after adding a shot of tequila to his bowl. How do you change the programs core icon????

Another one here who thinks that this UI looks like a mix of XP, crap and LEGO. The second I saw it, I thought it was awful and my opinion hasn't changed since. How someone has looked at it and thought "hmm, that's a lovely UI!" is beyond me. Having skins is good but the slanted icon is something that I just can't take. Reverting to 2.0.4

Thanks devs! Maybe that before making this one the default, you could have opened a poll on the forum here? Then people like me would have been forced to shut up. Frankly, I would have preferred being forced to shut the f*** up. Or was there a "consultation" that I didn't know of?

IThe left pane should NOT be so retarded as to extend up past the toolbar! Than it has the stupid apps garbage showing in the left pane and a useless search in the left pane for find contents!

Seriously' date=' did you try to search 2 seconds the display options in 2.2 to revert back to 2.0.4 display?

Because it asks just one click in Options menu. Sometimes the most retarded thing is the CTKI, you know.[/quote']

Yeah I finally figured it out but the functional icons showing seeding, uploading, ect are still ugly. Them icons did not change at all.. and it was a pain in the arse to find the skin app since it did not show in the apps folder at all to figure out how to use Btskin. So no it's not the 2.0.4 look that I like still. And I see nothing new that did not work good in 2.0.4 just a new ugly skin nothing functionality that really changed to even make me want to upgrade to this ugly version that requires quite the headache to semi revert back to the uTorrent classic look that is best. And I also hate the tree in the left.. totally useless and uneeded for the left pane.

OMG... it is ugly.... I hope I'll find the old version and downgrade imediately... I don't care about any new features...

Also I don't need 2 search buttons, old icon was nicer, labels were better... % bars had better colors... and update f****d up my columns.

Also I did a feature request, to split the "completed" into "finished" and "seeding" also a category for "error" torrents...

tx, for the 2.04 skin... helped a bit...

Me too; just registered to rant.

ugly colours - ugly buttons - ugly labels - ugly everything!

WHY was this necessary? Did you guys think µTorrent had to 'modernise'? Let me tell you, if there's one thing I hate, it's hopeless attempts to make something 'ready for the future'. It's like a bad 80's sf movie... Just leave it at the simple, straight-to-it, convenient layout! If people want weird skins, they can turn to the skins page..

I'll just stick with 2.0.4, works fine, and by the time the skin update has been reversed, I'll update...

Just joined up to comment on this also.

I lasted about 8 seconds in the new uTorrent before I googled and found this thread.

I've thankfully down-graded to v2.0.4. (Phew!) It was as easy and painless as replacing the exe.

This backlash is greater than any previous ones so uTorrent will respond in a timely manner I believe.

Users may have asked for status bars that change color - and what a great idea! And if it was done with taste and care by a talented graphic designer, I believe this feature would be a success.

However that shade of green is downright unsettling for me.

I agree with all other comments re: bad graphic and UI design, including those on layout.

I request that you change the color and icons back and introduce the new theme as an 'option', turned off by default.

Also registered just for the ugly UI, and as the re-skin didn't change it all back, I'm switching back to 2.04 and disabling auto-updating.

Will use 2.04 as long as possible and gonna try to forget this hideous UI. I'ts going to be hard to forget, sadly :)

my immediate reaction on seeing the new ui was to uninstall and reinstall the older version.

instead of using words like "ugly", i would say what happened is that when i see such a departure

from the core principles of this program represented in its ui design - then i automatically lose trust

in its inner workings.

utorrent - don't take the backlash the wrong way and think this is just some users who dont want progress.

you are lucky to have such a passionate and loyal user base that they take this so personally. keep up the great work, take the feedback, learn and move forward.

The main problems for me are that the GUI is lagging, it doesn't react as fast as you click (???) Someone knows why??

And the other problem is that the tree view takes too much space, the left column has to be widen in order to see the labels, which shrinkens the main column.

µTorrent 2.0.4's UI was more stylish, faster, more compact and more effective.

I'll try the skin but I doubt it will solve slow GUI and tree view problems.

I re-downloaded v2.0.4 but what is the procedure to safely revert it ?

BTW, I re-created a GUI suggestion in uservoice http://utorrentideas.uservoice.com/forums/47263/suggestions/1338571

While it may not be a big deal to restore the old icons, I was pretty shocked initially, I had never imagined that sort of stuff could happen to uTorrent of all possible applications. Admittedly more because of the new search homepage and the toolbar than because of the icons.

Now I still tried the 2.0.4 skin to get rid of those alienating icons, only to find it look like this:

uT_2.2_w_2.0.4_skinhttp://www.steg0.eu/resources/web/2010/12.utorrent/bt22ui_204skin.png

I can't remember it being like that before. I mean it doesn't even have alpha. (I'm running on Windows 2000 Server, 1680x1050x32.)

Try the 2.0.4 skin. http://download.utorrent.com/utorrent.2.0.4-v2.btskin Or even the skins app.

We've actually found that a lot of people did like the 2.2 skin. Kind of mixed feelings across the board on it, really.

Let me get this right...

125 people have posted to this thread and so far I only counted 4 people that liked the new UI...

That means that 96.8% DOES NOT LIKE the new UI, but you are telling us that quite a few people like the new UI and that you are getting mixed feelings???

Also, why have you admins deleted ALL ideas that have been posted to go back to the old UI on the user voice? Sounds like the developers and admins are being very dictatorship about this matter....

Archived