Alternating row color

metzeltiger

Hi,

First of all I want to say that uTorrent is a really great programm. I used to manage my torrents with Azureus but I had always been annoyed by the large amount of memory it needs.

At the moment there's onyl one little thing I miss quite much, and that is a slightly different background color (ie light grey) for every second row in the torrent list. Especially when you have quite a lot torrents at the same time this would make the interface much clearer.

And maybe the Uploads / Downloads should be displayed in different sectiosn as Azurues does. But that isn't really THAT necessary ;)

Agreed. But what would be even better (IMHO) would be if the rows' color would match what the torrent is doing. So, if for instance a particular torrent is paused, the whole row could be yellow/amber, if it's seeding only it could be green, downloading could be blue etc. etc. Of course the colors should be pastel (very light), as not to obstruct the text. :)

Agreed. But what would be even better (IMHO) would be if the rows' color would match what the torrent is doing. So, if for instance a particular torrent is paused, the whole row could be yellow/amber, if it's seeding only it could be green, downloading could be blue etc. etc. Of course the clors should be pastel (very light), as not to obstruct the text. :)

I suggeested this a while back in this post. But it hasn't gotten enough attention so the devs haven't included it. Or there is too much dissent to actually add it. Either way it isn't there. Maybe I will make a better mockup so people see that it can be tastefully done and yet display useful info.

Cheers

Agreed. But what would be even better (IMHO) would be if the rows' color would match what the torrent is doing. So, if for instance a particular torrent is paused, the whole row could be yellow/amber, if it's seeding only it could be green, downloading could be blue etc. etc. Of course the colors should be pastel (very light), as not to obstruct the text. :)

I think this would result in a too colerful interface. Even if it were only very light colours. And since the icons already display those information you mentioned I don't think this is necessary. But maybe it could be selectable whether the rows should only be colored to clear the layout or to give some information with more colors as well.

Agreed. But what would be even better (IMHO) would be if the rows' color would match what the torrent is doing. So, if for instance a particular torrent is paused, the whole row could be yellow/amber, if it's seeding only it could be green, downloading could be blue etc. etc. Of course the clors should be pastel (very light), as not to obstruct the text. :)

I suggeested this a while back in this post. But it hasn't gotten enough attention so the devs haven't included it. Or there is too much dissent to actually add it. Either way it isn't there. Maybe I will make a better mockup so people see that it can be tastefully done and yet display useful info.

Cheers

Yeah, the mock-up was a little bit too bright for comfort. :P That's why most didn't want it. But at least you get what I mean...now it only has to be implemented the right way. And then I'm sure many will like it. :)

I'm not trying to dis people with this comment. But why is it that no-one ever reads a post when a picture is included.

When I made that post I said the picture was aligned with my idea "EXCEPT" the text would be coloured and the background would be white. Which is the exact inverse of the picture that is displayed. Just like how it is done in Bittornado variants. Like has been said in this post it increases the torrents visibility and information capabilities in one fale swoop.

I hope this time around this idea gets some attention and can be implemented My appologizies for sounding rude or abrasive, in advance.

I'm not trying to dis people with this comment. But why is it that no-one ever reads a post when a picture is included.

When I made that post I said the picture was aligned with my idea "EXCEPT" the text would be coloured and the background would be white. Which is the exact inverse of the picture that is displayed. Just like how it is done in Bittornado variants. Like has been said in this post it increases the torrents visibility and information capabilities in one fale swoop.

I hope this time around this idea gets some attention and can be implemented My appologizies for sounding rude or abrasive, in advance.

Because in your post you talk about colored text and in the picture its the whole line thats colored and the text is white.

About making the text or lines colored, you can't impose something on a user, you have to let them have a choice, the interface is crucial, i've stopped using clients because of the interface and im sure others have too. There is already an icon for the status of the torrent, there is no need to make any additional information about the torrent status.

Sure eXtr4ktor, it'll be user-selectable. Some people will want it for sure, others won't. But just because you don't want something, doesn't mean we can't have it. It's completely optional, meaning you can turn it off if you don't like it. :)

Now, this is my rough mock-up. Please don't laugh as my graphix skillz are severely lacking. But this is what I thought would be cool for µTorrent to have:

utorrentmockup1gu.th.png

As always, feel free to comment on it. :)

Sure eXtr4ktor, it'll be user-selectable. Some people will want it for sure, others won't. But just because you don't want something, doesn't mean we can't have it. It's completely optional, meaning you can turn it off if you don't like it. :)

Now, this is my rough mock-up. Please don't laugh as my graphix skillz are severely lacking. But this is what I thought would be cool for µTorrent to have:

utorrentmockup1gu.th.png

Something like that would do. :)

dear god no. maybe if they were simple light grey lines going across maybe but all those multicoloured lines would not be helpful in the slightest.

if it does get built in i hope its optional. also if your going to make them colourful then do the colours by status. or in the properties u can define your own colours for the status of each torrents. personally though this feature is useless to me.

dear god no. maybe if they were simple light grey lines going across maybe but all those multicoloured lines would not be helpful in the slightest.

if it does get built in i hope its optional. also if your going to make them colourful then do the colours by status. or in the properties u can define your own colours for the status of each torrents. personally though this feature is useless to me.

Did you read the whole thread? I don't think so, as I clearly stated multiple times that this feature should be OPTIONAL. Thanks for understanding. :)

utorrentmockup1gu.th.png

That's all fine and what not, but what happens when all your torrents are downloading or the tracker dies? They'd all be the same color. Not any better for readability than it is now.

I think a single alternating color would be more helpful than different color backgrounds depending on torrent status.

Did you read the whole thread? I don't think so, as I clearly stated multiple times that this feature should be OPTIONAL. Thanks for understanding. :)

obviously you dont read to well. i was saying dear god no to those awful colours you put in that image you posted. im not against a light shade of grey on alternating lines.

i was also stating my opinion that if it does get built in it should be optional as some ppl may not want it.

read the post abit more thoroughly before posting comments like that in future please.

Archived