µTorrent 1.7.7 released

Firon

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just baffled My Utorrent 1.7.7 just does not work any more. My choosen torrents just sit in ut & nothing works no availablity, trackers are shown, say's it is updating, peers & seeds shown in swarm but does not come on board. I had this problem about a week ago then all of a sudden it worked up until 2 days ago now it is the same I have tried everything. Would it be best to delete Ut & re-install? I have had Ut for a couple of years now & have upgraded when required but this I don't know I am not a hot shot computer geek I just feel my way through things so can you help or what should I do?

If it's intermittent it sounds like your ISP has come down hard on your connection. Have you tested out one of http://www.slackware.com/torrents/ to see if even that has no errors or anything but it just doesn't transfer?

Have you checked out your modem or router ("Default Gateway" when you type start->run->cmd /k ipconfig) to make sure you still have an internet address? Sometimes to cut down on bandwidth ISPs put you behind a transparent proxy for things like HTTP but putting you behind a proxy when talking about filesharing means your transfer would definitely go down. They might also have blocked all traffic on your inbound port.

Thanks for the swift reply. I tried slackware & nothing happened on my UT it would not DL. I am told I do not have a modem nor a router as I live in a rural area & have a wireless dish on my roof. I checked my net work connections in my control panel say I have an ip & I am connected. I also use IDM & have had no problems there I use it for rapid share torrents. But I do love my Ut as it is the best thing going. My server (at least the people I pay for internet service every moth) knows I DL (small town Canada) & there has never been any repremands. So I just dont know what to do. Do I re-instal as perhaps my Ut is corrupted or is it this new 1.7.7? any suggestions.

Hmmm yeah then it sounds like some local outage. Reinstalling uT won't likely change anything. I understand you've got satellite due to your location; I'm amazed it works at all :P I know some people have no choices, and it's very cool how uT allows such dynamic range of utilizing connections from low-bandwidth like dialup to high bandwidth, and high-latency low-reliability connections like cellular and satellite.

IDM afaik is only a HTTP/FTP downloader, so that kind of speed is really unrelated to bittorrent performance.

If you WANT to try resetting uT, you should understand what you need to do first, and in-fact all you have to do is rename/backup http://utorrent.com/faq.php#Where_are_the_settings_and_.torrent_files_stored.3F and load uT. Understand you'll have lost your loaded torrents, since that's stored in resume.dat Alternatively just do what http://utorrent.com/faq.php#How_can_I_share_my_torrents_between_user_profiles.3F says and rename your settings.dat and settings.dat.old files and then laod uT up and that'll keep the loaded torrents and only reset the Preferences. REMEMBER though, backup to be safe :D

actually I don't know if it is satalite. I live on a lake & they have some kind of tower at the end of it & if my home is within view of this tower I can get connected it is supposed to be a high speed connection. Now if I re set Ut will I lose my stats & user name at Ut.com. I dont have any loaded torrents at the monment as I deleted them in frustration as nothing was happening anyways & the ones I DL I delete after I have seeded a good 1.2 or more. I am just nervous that I am really going to screw things up & never get my Ut back.

Thanks for your help much appreciated

I am downloading a discography with 15 albums and EPs, I downloaded the first to the seven, then I selected to download the others, everything was going fine, I was almost there, till today, after I do a reboot on my system (Windows XP), the albums from first to four was all with incomplete pieces, I stop the torrent and do a recheck and yes is this, I need to download them again. What could happen? If I am listen to them could that uTorrent couldn't write or read, or something like this? Or the player (Winamp) eats them?

No, there is no thumbs.db in the torrent and I have disabled this service in my windows.

Edit: Now I noticed something that I didn't tried, I can play this files, I can see the *.jpgs, so they are there but uTorrent didn't see them, or for uTorrent they are changed.

A bug?

What happened to "granny" ? Is he fixed his connection ? I was thinking that he may try to change port, force the encryption and probably try some of the 1.8 beta ver. to use the IPv6, but i don't know i'm not a big fan of MS advanced networking pack, so probably another version with another tunnel should be done. Anyway if granny still have problems, write a line, let's try to help.

The problem is that I use foobar2000 to listen to music and it have a plugin called "Playback Statistics" that tag my played songs. So the problem wasn't with µTorrent. Sorry, my fault. :/

I changed the plugin settings and remade/reuploaded the torrent. :(

Archived