Unable to save the resume file error......with system instability

hometownnerd

I have been using utorrent now for quite a while, and really like it, it does almost everything I need in a BT client. I have installed 1.22 now and now I get the unable to save the resume file error. My system also becomes very unstable and does not want to do much of anything until I have rebooted. Is there something that causes this issue? This is the first error I have received from utorrent and I am confused as to what causes this. I have XP SP2 with an Athlon 64 3200 and a gig of ram and three hard drives and all of them have plenty of space available. Please help.

Thanks for such a great app,

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

it has full access there. The problem remains...

The exact message is:

Unable to save the resume file. Some data may be lost. Another program may have the file open, or the disk is full. Please correct this and click retry. If you press cancel, the resume file will not be saved.

It does not have any effect when you click cancel or retry. In both cases the message returns. the torrent download goes on without any problems in both cases either.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Simply head to that location, an delete everything in that folder (%APPDATA%/uTorrent). Make sure you set everything to be visible (Tools > Folder Options > View > Show all hidden files and folders)

The error is known to occur (from what I've tested) due to insufficient space on the partition uTorrent is trying to save the torrent on. Or, if you have per say 2 HDDs, plus the 2nd in, and download on that one (let's say drive F) and remove it, then when trying to download a new torrent, some freaky stuff might happen...

Anyway, I removed all files from %APPDATA%/uTorrent, and it's all working fine now. You'll have to reconfigure uTorrent, but that's not a thing I can't live with :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Not to drag open this subject..

But i started having this problem... I use vista x86 and found that my UAC was causing this problem.. its funny why it will run, and download, but i think when the program exits its writes .dat to be .dat.old so maybe no permission is granted...

Next i am wondering why its not writing the files into the %AppData%\uTorrent folder anymore... its writing in the 'c:\program file\uttorent folder... a change? or is it because I am running the 1.8 beta version?

Thanks!

C

• 2 years later...

A simple and effective way I used to fix this problem was to go to %APPDATA%/ on your computer. Find the uTorrent folder, right-click -> Properties -> Uncheck "Read-Only". Once you press OK, if you go back into the Properties, it'll say "Read-Only" again but the error in uTorrent should disappear... well, it worked for me, plus, I'm using Windows XP, Service Pack 3 and using uTorrent v2.04.

Hope that helps :D

• 2 years later...

For me, there was a file in %AppData%\uTorrent called simply "resume", it is a VCD file that had become corrupted, I was unable to delete or remove the file, so I right clicked and pressed "restore previous versions" and restored the earliest version I could. The problem seems to have been resolved.

Archived