4# Reasons to go back to BitComet and 2# reasons not to

akaidiot

Reasons to go back to BitComet:

1. BitComet has the File properties prompt which gives a quick overview of the torrent and quick possibility to skip unneccessary files that I don't want to download. Also, I often want to download a file(s) in a torrent directly to my download folder although the torrent was created with the file in a sub-directory. The File properties prompt allows me to grab only the file(s) I want in the sub-dir and download it directly to my dl folder. This is a feature I haven't seen in any other torrent client yet.

2. BC renames unfinished files. Since I download torrents into several different folders depending on what the torrent contains the "move completed torrents to a folder"-method doesn't work for me. If the unfinished files are renamed I can quickly see which files are finished and which are not.

3. BC sorts torrents chronologicly. Again, it gives overview

4. BC window actually activates when a new torrent is added.

Reasons not to go back to BitComet:

1. BC is banned on alot of trackers and supposably sends wrong data to tracker, although I've never experienced it

2. uTorrent systray icon can both maximize and minimize the program. When this is not the case it bugs me alot.

I think there are ∞ reasons to stay with µTorrent.

I'll list 4 of them:

1: µTorrent doesn't prompt you when you add a torrent. It puts them silently in the right directory.

2. µTorrent doesn't rename files, so you can easily see what filetype the downloading things have.

3. µTorrent has labels, so you can sort your torrent in any damn way you can think of.

4. µTorrent activates the window when you add a torrent only if you want it to do so. And if you do want that, check the "Activate window when adding file" option.

About the reasons to stick to BitComet...

1. This feature is redundant. You can just as easily add the torrent in stopped mode, select the files, and start it.

2. You can check which files are done on the files tab too O.o

3. No response (though I don't really see the need for such a sorting order, but oh well).

4. µTorrent does activate when I open new torrents. Even when it's minimized to tray.

Heh Animorc has a nice twist on it =P

1) BitComet hammers tracks badly, and basically DDoSes clients because of the rate of connection attempts it makes

2) BitComet abuses super-seeding, making it completely ineffective

3) BitComet disconnects and reconnects a lot, up to 5 times a second, in an attempt to get unchoked by your client

4) BitComet has no upload slot control and is often very bad at uploading

5) BitComet violates a lot of BT specs (makes improper torrents, abuses trackers, bad multi-tracker implementation, you name it)

I could probably keep going.

Did someone REALLY make this post? the Comet is the one that Breaks All The Rules, that is why it has had a history of being banned, this aint the first time and of pattern holds true it WONT be the last, anytime you have a client that brings down trackers and cheats.....O wait this is why everyone uses it right?? ATM the Comet's name is mud among the owners of trackers, that has to say something.

Well, in akaidiot's defense, I don't think this thread was started as a flamebait. It was simply a discussion of why one might or might not choose to BitComet over µTorrent. Granted, it's been discussed before in other threads (and should've continued that way), but I sense a little hostility toward him here for reasons other than that =T

BitComet also has the questionable-effectiveness proprietary encrypted header ability. Supposedly this bypasses SOME ISPs ability to throttle BitComet's speeds to oblivion. However it seems there's numerous ISP solutions to this which can even now detect BitComet's packets, even if of course it cannot read them. This is probably due to either a weakness of the encryption used or that the encryption ends up with an occassional signature/pattern, which although cannot be decrypted (easily at least) can at least be spotted.

So...if Azureus and µTorrent joint-collaborate to make a more open header encryption scheme (using some part of individual torrents as 'seed values' which the ISPs are very unlikely to have but all participants of a torrent would), then maybe BitComet wouldn't even be useful for that.

The main reason to not use Bitcomet today is the fact that the developer seems to be riding high on breaking rules, furthermore the client has had quite a bit of bad stigma sorrounding it lately.

(which means that it's now incompatible with most private trackers since it's banned by them)

But featurewise I'd say that for the newbie, the comet is the sure shot choice since it

gets average speeds with little or no configuration neccessary.

If you look at it in terms of performance, µTorrent definently kicks Bitcomets butt for sure since

it uses alot less memory and CPU resources.

So, really.. what client you choose is entierly up to your specific needs.

or.. the really really really condensed version of my post:

newbie? use the comet!

advanced person? ... use µTorrent!

inbetween? .. sucks to be you :P (because you probably can't choose)

Uhmm its banned by almost every famous private tracker, also previous releases. They first want a official announcement by the designers before they take the ban away. They even hunt down those who hack the identification to the tracker. So sorry bitcomet you are finished. Power to utorrent.

Amen

Peer exchange barely makes a difference.

on it's own it might not... but combined with other featurs... like for example 'DHT' it might have a huge impact when trackers are no longer available, cause when a tracker is no longer available no peers can be found in the normal way (and even more..... when using multiple trackers PeX might have a dramatical increase in sources to download from (or at least to upload too))....

btw... if it is not 'that' important (or it doesn't makes a lot of differece).. why is it that allmost all most favorite BT clients support it ?

The hostility and pretty much total disagreement comes to me as no suprise. But when it all comes down to it. BitComet has some features that I haven't seen in any other bittorrent client. And these features are laid out in my first post, especially the underlined sentence.

I'm running BC (or uTorrent) on a 1.86GHZ Pentium M with 1GB of ram so the CPU or RAM usage isn't a real issue, atleast not for me if I way the feature gain against it. And my guess is that you guys use a system in the same range or porhaps leaps faster. So really the resource BC takes isn't that much of a problem, and lets not mention the A-word.

PS. 5. uTorrent doesn't delete a folder if windows has created a thumbs.db file in it, which is just a cachefile.

The hostility and pretty much total disagreement comes to me as no suprise.

no hostility intended.... and disagreement is probably unavoidable... but imho with such an attitude on your part ... why don't you just stick to what you have used before instead of uTorrent and leave this community alone ???????? my best guess: you are not satisfied... so don't pretend to be ... ok ?

Try to make uTorrent better... not to bring it down.....

@DutchDude: There's no reason to tell akaidiot to leave the community alone... he's making suggestions, and although most of them have already been suggested/discussed before, they're suggestions nonetheless. He's not trying to force anything upon anyone, so I'm not sure where this outcry is coming from... People, chill!

Ultima, with the topic of this thread, he does kind of make a statement that

he thinks BitComet is better .

And he never use the word 'suggestion' or did he say he wants those features to be

added to µTorrent, with the topic of the thread, its reason to why use BitComet instead.

It wasn't purely a thread about reasons to go back to BitComet though. It was an objective post, not subjective. So he's looking at both sides. People seem to be ignoring that part. Sure, it's lopsided (2 for µTorrent vs 4 for BitComet), but that's not the point.

By trying to "throw" akaidiot out just because of a perfectly valid thread as this just makes the µTorrent community look bad.

BitComet is like a runner who trips all the other runners.

So that makes it the fastest runner.

...But not the best.

ROTFL w0w nicely put but wherever you stand the reality is this.....the Comet does have some features that are unique to it and in the client race it stands to reason that to distance yourself from the competition you have to have that....that is a huge plus and I enjoyed the 'advantages' that the Comet gave to you for as long as it was tolerated, having switched between it and the Phrogg thru two previous waves of Comet bannings until µTorrent matured to the point where I now use it exclusively....now frankly once you get used to the way a certain piece of software works you get comfortable with it and I understand that completely. But if the people that run the large private trackers are nearly in consensus about not allowing your client there HAS to be something amiss. And this is not the first time. Before we can really talk about going back to anything FIRST the immediate issue needs to be fixed. If the Comet developer(s) dont really DO anything other than revert to a previous build (Which im my mind is an admission of guilt *why not a new version that plays fair?? ESPECIALLY if you KNOW why you are being banned???*) Then there is really no need to discuss this any further. If ppl are on Pub trackers exclusively its a moot point for them and they can use whatever client they want to. For those on private trackers its not really worth getting banned (at least in my mind) over something as SMALL as what client you happen to be using to grab files. 'nuff said.

that really is a nice analogy Switeck :D

Archived