Share Ratio

jigz

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actually for me because of ratio buffers, anything over 15-20GB downloaded at a 1.25:1 will give you a buffer of 5 GB on up as long as you keep the ratio, it will grow as you dl/ul more, especially if you are doing extremely large (4GB+) files......knowhatimean? ;) being able to download 30-40GB in order to drop your ratio back to 1:1 IMO is quite the luxury :D

I know what u mean. One site I got:

622.15 GB upped

234.96 GB down

If I wanted to, I could turn into a real leecher and still be ok....lol (that is until the new site shows more detailed stats on torrent history (who snatched what and how long they seeded, etc.)

I am of the opinion that if a particular torrent has lots of seeds you can quit seeding it if you want/need to upload other stuff.

Just come back later -- maybe even a week later -- and get your ratio at least to 1.2:1. Make sure when you leave the 2nd time there's seeds left behind.

Everytime I read someone saying that anything under 1.0 is unacceptable I can't help but shudder a bit. I agree that the goal should be to get each torrent's share ratio to at least 1.0, but as a general, it's simply impossible. Sometimes you'll be a little under, sometimes a bit (or a lot) over.

Obviously, it's not even possible for everyone to get over 1.0 in ratio, since the average over-all ratio will always equal 1.0 (the same amount is downloaded as is uploaded). So saying anything below it is unacceptable is a bit harsh, IMO.

I don't want to turn people into leechers though, so I'll just say this: aim for at least 1.0, if it's not possible, follow Switeck's advice, come back a bit later and see if seeds are needed. If not, don't sweat it, you did your best.

Scumbag = ◀ 0.1:1

Leecher = 0.999:1

Minimum = 1:1

Good = 3:1

Great = 5:1

Awesome = 10:1

1337 = ▶ 100:1

IMHO. :)

Edit: happy now, Morpheus? :P

Yes I am now :P......

Is THIS 1337???

ratio.gif

I am of the opinion that if a particular torrent has lots of seeds you can quit seeding it if you want/need to upload other stuff.

Just come back later -- maybe even a week later -- and get your ratio at least to 1.2:1. Make sure when you leave the 2nd time there's seeds left behind.

Yep, after doing this for a good while now I find that 1.2:1 - 1.25:1 gives you the best cushion versus ability to upload, like I said after you use that ratio, especially if you do very large files it is not long before you have a NICE ratio buffer. And it dont hurt to go back to files you have done, maybe they DO need the help, and tho it dosent seem like much it DOES add up, quicker than I thought it would anyway.

My share ratios got quite a bit higher since I used uTorrent - I'm not making my computer crawl when I'm using it, and yet I don't want my computer pulling yet another all-nighter after the WEEK it took me to download the file. UTorrent, being nearly invisible, doesn't suffer this problem. Even when I am forced by the torrent to download using say BitComet, I always upload with uTorrent. Sometimes, it seems like they don't want to TAKE from uTorrent, let alone Give. In that case, I can only say, Tough.

Rather than think about share ratios, I prefer to think about how much extra time I allot the torrent beyond the time it takes to download. I'm, after all, not generous for my 12:1 share ratio because for some reason I'm getting 5K down for my 60K up - I'm forced to, and this (not quite as extreme) happens a lot to me.

If your torrent comes in an UNUSABLE form - for example, Zip/Rar/Iso, it gets no time. After downloading, I'd have to turn that stuff into something usable so I can begin using it. I don't want to waste my scarce disk space holding a useless archive and the file, so the guys are simply out of luck.

Generally, a lot of time is allocated to small files. I tend to leave those files sitting on my HDD for some time before a disk space shortage forces me to consider the problem of shifting them to DVD. If so, I don't mind benefitting a few other people with uTorrent.

I tend to be a lot less generous for big, multifile torrents. First, I tend to evacuate those torrents to DVD as they come in, so there's not much to seed with. Second, those torrents can take a week to download and while I might occasionally allow a Seeding All-Nighter, I'm not going to schedule one just after a week of downloading all nighters. The next day the last chunk of the huge file is on DVD...

Obviously, it's not even possible for everyone to get over 1.0 in ratio, since the average over-all ratio will always equal 1.0 (the same amount is downloaded as is uploaded). So saying anything below it is unacceptable is a bit harsh, IMO.

I'm glad someone knows what they are talking about. IMO, if you seed for a reasonable amount of time, thats good, no matter what your ratio. I'm not fussed about any ratio over 0.5, especially on private sites where everyone is trying to seed.

(Disclaimer: My ratio is ~1.5 on all torrent sites I use..)

I disagree. If more ppl created their own torrents, no one would be below 1. At so many sites, only a small group of folks create their own torrents. More ppl need to chip in with their own torrents.

Ex. I join a site today. I download a file with all seeders and no peers, Im below 1. Now I create my own torrent, (bigger than what I downloaded), and if just ONE person downloads it from me, im over 1. It seems simple to me.

splintax, you're right, most torrent users get very excited when talking about their 3 or 4:1 ratio's. A very tightly controlled private music tracker I frequent discourages ratio's of over 1:1 the accepted norm is .8, new members are even given 1gig credit.

How can 10:1=Awesome, it equalls selfish to me.

10:1=selfish? When was the last time seeding was considered selfish? We not supposed to give back? Selfish might be (emphasis on might) when Im at 1:1 or more on a torrent with 35+ seeders. Even still, I dont like disconnecting when I see ppl connected to me.

I guess its all in how we each see it.

Woah! :D You're 1337, Morpheus! But then again, you already knew that, didn't ya?! :P

LOL Not 1337, just never disconnected....

@Kazuaki Shimazaki.....there is a small proggie called Virtual Clone Drive, From Elaborate Bytes (CloneCD/DVD folks) that will allow you to make those .isos 'useable', running them from your HDD. Small and efficient, it worx as advertised, double click on an iso or right click on an iso and voila, you have you an iso accesible with a drive letter. Most of the other proggies that do that are bloated and give you too many options (more to mess up :D ) If you have the HDD space to use it its a nice addition.

@jroc....You see it like I do, good man, its all about the sharing, I hate it when seeders drop from a torrent i'm trying to grab, they may be legitimately shared but still.....

@Moody... i wasnt trying to do that, it just happened, it happens when you share ......It can ONLY happen when you share....... The only reason I even posted that pic is because of 1c3d0g, with whom I have had friendly back and forth banter since I registered on this forum, nothing more nothing less....... Most of my share ratios are between 1.2:1 and 1.25:1, a couple are at 1.5:1, not because im 'selfish', that is a personal opinion which you are entitled to, that is not valid logic, selfishness involves depriving someone of something but because the essence of bt IS sharing, some dont share enough, even on priv trackers and if I can afford the luxury of keeping my boxes on 24/7 why not? The better question is who would that be hurting? Certainly not the ppl that are downloading files from me and the others like me who happen to like to share. As I sit here typing I am seeding 11 torrents and dling one. The logic here is simple. I pay for the bandwidth and am allowed to do whatever I want with it (for now), so I seed when im not doing anything more important. Simple. The other thing is i usually dl large torrents so ppl are dling large torrents from me, so if im sharing im going to get a decent buffer, which is my goal. I may just want to do a hit-and-run (and I DO at times) and can do that and not hurt my ratio or the swarm. If im on a large and well-seeded torrent i can d/c and not feel bad about it be it a pub OR a priv tracker. How you feel about that on a personal level makes me no matter. Worx for me. You do what worx for you. Peace.

@BlackLion: I'm sorry if I offended you or any one for that matter, that was not my intention and I apologise. Selfish was wrong, unthoughtful would have been better.

On the private trackers I use, the forums are full of new members complaints about how hard it is to get their ratios up, 24, 16 hours delays etc. you know the score and I have some sympathy for them. Some of them get kicked for bad ratios. One particular tracker I have been on for a couple years there are members who have uploaded 10+ terabytes, they have 10/10meg or even larger links (often Swedish) almot impossible for them to avoid high ratios

New guys have to wait 24 hours, they get fantastic download speeds 500kB/s+ with 80, 90, 100+ seeds but no peers. How are they going to compete for the odd peer that comes along, these guys should just seed 1:1 and leave it to those that need it, after all there is only so much to go round. It is not so important on trackers that do not enforce the rules, plenty of leachers to up everyone's ratio. Some trackers, the trend is to encourage ratios below 1:1.

@Moody: not offended at all, like I said you are entitled to feel the way you do and I never said it was wrong, just your viewpoint which is different from mine. I know that of which you speak and where I have seen that happen is on priv trackers that dont allow free uploading (chosen uploaders, usually those that have huge pipes and access to 0-day). That creates the situation that you speak of rapidly. And yes I am on some trackers that are like that and its hard to get and keep ratios up. jroc has it right, by creating your own torrents you can get your ratios together but if the tracker wont allow you to upload then it is a struggle. For them all you can do is either seed and seed and seed (some cant and I understand that, but that is what I do) OR if you are fortunate enough to get in on a torrent early enough and large enough that you can get some uploading in on and stay on it a bit that will get you where you want to go. Other than that I would say that if you have ratio issues IF you can upload torrents to the tracker then do that. If you cant then you may not be on the tracker for you. The trackers that I AM on that are like that dont get much downloading from me for that reason. I cant up to them so I choose carefully what I download from them. If I cant get it anywhere else then I bite it and seed hard. If so then they dont get the benefit of my bandwidth (not that they needed it anyway). I tend to be loyal and contribute to the trackers that I use a lot so my ratios tend to go up there. That 100:1 was quite the accident and I can assure you that is not my norm, I dont have that kind of pipe. Like I said I will do the occasional hit and run and I pull lots of very large files so the buffer is a safety net for me. That is the long and the short of it. And if you want to know the truth about it, when suprnova and lokitorrent were booming what I seeded by time the torrent was done was what they got, never worried about it cuz there was so much traffic. Now that it matters on priv trackers I want the cushion to do that and not worry about my status. So if I do no big deal if there are more seeders. We survive any way we can in the bt world. That in a nutshell is how I do it. You may take a different route. we all get to the same place and its all good :D

P.S. 'unthoughtful' is still judgemental, bt is all about sharing, if the tracker discourages that that is their management decision but I see where you are coming from, not the first nor the last time I will be judged like that, just be as graceful when it is your turn :D

To me, the main point of uploading at least to 1:1 ratio is to prolong the availability of the file to others. Making it upload fast to others is only a minor secondary goal.

The BEST way to prolong the availability of a file is to start re-seeding it when few or no one else is.

I don't deal much with private sites. With anime torrents, I download from public sites -- yet many have very fast download/upload rates. Some ban BitComet and crew...which might be partly why that's the case. Another reason is the demand is so huge that the torrent never has a chance to go 'dead' no matter how many hit-and-runners come along.

Archived