Browsers all suck.

silverfire

Hmm when I boot up Mozilla it uses 15.5mb without any pages loaded while IE7-beta 2 uses 24.4mb. Mozilla starts up to around 25mb after some web surfing while IE7 goes to 31mb. I have a gig of memory with 2gigs on the way so those amounts are fine for me. FF, it would always freeze everything up so I can never tell how much memory it used on average. When it was running with only ad block I would get 100+mb after an hour of surfing. So I don't bother with it. Opera, I use it sparingly now that I have IE7. No major use issues, I just don't care much for the preference set up.

I like a few of the new options that IE7 has more than Mozilla. So I use IE7 with little problems and have used IE for years with little security issues.

I have the following security protections:

McAfee Anti-Virus set to scan all incoming files, including temp internet files.

Spybot Immunizing IE & Opera.

Spyware Blaster protects IE & Mozilla

McAfee Personal Firewall running

Windows XP-SP2 Firewall running (yes it helps I've run tests)

And my Linksys Firewall NAT router

Edit for Typos.

EDIT #2: Ok, this is weird IE7 dropped down to 2.8 megs on me for a little while. Now is back upto 20.8 after I opened a second tab. :/

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, IE. I sympathise with what you're saying, silverfire, and understand where you're coming from. It's more of a moral issue for me - I know that it effectively supports all sites, but I understand the hoops that web designers have to run through to get shit to work in it, so I don't use it. (Also, I like Opera. :P)

Whoa, I was thinking about a µBrowser just yesterday. It would be awesome if Ludde ever got into that

To be honest, I don't want µBrowser. A browser is just so much more complicated than a BitTorrent client. The web and web standards are continually improving. I just think that one man will never be able to keep up with web standards and have a browser that could replace Opera for me, no matter how awesome his coding skills are. :( µFTP I would like to see, however. FileZilla, SmartFTP, CuteFTP, FireFTP.. they all suck for me. :(

fr-08 will live in infamy :P can't forget the day I saw it, back on my old crappy pc

Me too. I watched it like, 15 times or so. Just couldn't get my head around it. o_O <3 demoscene

• 1 month later...

opera-this, firefox-that..ie7-whatever..? lol

so, what about kmelon? I've used it before and with a little work, it could replace tham all imo. faster than anything else I've used so far

I'll look at maxthon. sounds like a decent browser

Try Slim brower thats just like all other browsers and you can make autologin files and add sites to black list of white list and make alias definitions

Theres a program and you can make Internet Explorer 6 have tabs like a add on i couldnt find the link sry

Archived