µTorrent 3.3.1 RC

TylerW

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bug is a regression, and needs to be fixed.

May be, even probably. Try and give repeatable repro-steps to recreate it, and there is a good chance it will be fixed. Unlike for the rest of the issues in my list - I couldn't.

The line dividing torrent job list and the sidebar cannot be moved further left from its default position so unless you have 20-letter labels you're gonna end up with a lot of white space there.

Furthermore, uTorrent no longer remembers whether it was minimized upon exiting or not. (i.e. It always starts popped-up)

The bug is a regression' date=' and needs to be fixed.[/quote']

May be, even probably. Try and give repeatable repro-steps to recreate it, and there is a good chance it will be fixed. Unlike for the rest of the issues in my list - I couldn't.

1) Set Remove to "Remove and delete .torrent" (gui.default.del.action = 1)

2) Download torrents as usual for a few days to 1 week.

3) Remove them while they are seeding/completed.

4) Check %AppData%/uTorrent; notice it's full of .torrent files it didn't delete.

As I've said previously, it doesn't happen every time, but it happens a lot, and it seems to be that uTorrent isn't releasing the file lease/lock quick enough for the delete call to work. I can even try and delete some of the leftovers manually and they are still locked until I exit uTorrent or force them unlocked with a program like Unlocker.

I also have gui.delete_to_trash = false, but I've tried this both ways and it doesn't seem to matter.

When do you try to delete them? The "delete " step is missing... So, yes, with this week-long-test, they should remain there... there is no auto-deletion by uT ... :)

BTW: I have just added & deleted ~500 .torrents, and seems they are all gone... (with delete data + torrent)

No. You're wrong. "Remove and delete .torrent" IS auto-deletion. That's how it always worked before and still works sometimes. It's a regression due to the file locks which continue long after the the download is removed from uTorrent, interfering with the delete call it's supposed to make at the same time.

Version 3.3.1 RC 1 (build 29704)

The default cache size is now 128MB

Not mentioning it in the changelog is not that nice' date=' tho ...

[/quote']

You need to deduce innuendo:

--2013-04-18: Version 3.3.1 (build 29569)

- Fix: Change default utorrent disk cache size to mitigate "Disk overload" condition

It's a regression due to the file locks which continue long after the the download is removed from uTorrent, interfering with the delete call it's supposed to make at the same time.

If you check the log after each deletion it alerts the errors. Occurs 20-25% on avg, some that were stopped > 24 hrs w/o restarting the client .

Version 3.3.1 RC 1 (build 29704)

The default cache size is now 128MB

Not mentioning it in the changelog is not that nice' date=' tho ...

[/quote']

You need to deduce innuendo:

--2013-04-18: Version 3.3.1 (build 29569)

- Fix: Change default utorrent disk cache size to mitigate "Disk overload" condition

Excuse me? ... Was it actually fixed @29569? No. Someone has screwed up. They've fixed his broken "fix" only @29704, so they should log it as: "29704: ... sorry. it's fixed now...." :P:)

No. You're wrong. "Remove and delete .torrent" IS auto-deletion. That's how it always worked before and still works sometimes. It's a regression due to the file locks which continue long after the the download is removed from uTorrent, interfering with the delete call it's supposed to make at the same time.

Am I missing your point of what "auto" means here? I thought it is a user action (delete key or delete button, or delete... + menu) when he removes a torrent job (that is not mentioned in your test sequence) .

Excuse me? ... Was it actually fixed @29569? No. Someone has screwed up. They've fixed his broken "fix" only @29704, so they should log it as: "29704: ... sorry. it's fixed now..

The default was changed to 128 on 29569 (Advanced > Disk Cache) except it never accurately reflected in Speed > Disk Statistics until 29704. Wasn't it caching 128 MB at that point? If not, technically you're correct (but picking nits) ;).

Auto-deletion upon removal. Amended. :rolleyes:

Ok, as I thought. So just specify exactly the timing I (/the devs) am expected to delete the jobs+torrents in your test above, for it to fail. After download completed/stopped, after seeding & stopped (before/after the goal) , during seeding??? If you do want people to do your test (and for a week...), make it precise as possible.

It's a regression due to the file locks which continue long after the the download is removed from uTorrent' date=' interfering with the delete call it's supposed to make at the same time.[/quote']

If you check the log after each deletion it alerts the errors. Occurs 20-25% on avg, some that were stopped > 24 hrs w/o restarting the client .

I've been following this discussion with some interest, as I asked about this several months ago here, and got no response until very recently. The previous comments in this thread reflect my experience exactly. The .torrent files are not being deleted, and the error is logged thusly:

[2013-05-18 13:50:14]  Warning: Delete to trash failed for D:\!Incomplete Downloads\Torrents\Random.Torrent.File.mp4.1.torrent. Error: 0. Deleting permanently.

I generally only delete torrents after the seeding goal has been reached (unless they're bad files) and they are in "Finished" status. My experience is that if the torrent has been active during the current uTorrent session, the .torrent file will not delete, regardless of how long it has been in Finished status. Attempting to manually delete the .torrent file through Explorer will result in the message "The action can't be completed because the file is open in uTorrent. Close the file and try again." Exiting uTorrent will unlock the file for deletion.

Unlike one of the comments in my previous thread linked above, I do not find that this occurs only with torrents obtained through magnet links. Unfortunately, I also find that the problem is not 100% repeatable. I would agree with CphD that it's around 25% failure rate.

[2013-05-18 13:50:14] Warning: Delete to trash failed for D:\!Incomp

That sounds as a good hint... Always?

@Osmosis: you have the same message? Every time?

I'm not sure I take the meaning of your question. If you mean does it get logged every time it fails? I don't know; I never looked for it before I saw CphD's comment about it logging, so I only know about the three that failed to delete today. I'm assuming it does, and I will watch for it in the future.

I forgot to add, I generally use the right-click menu to "remove and delete," but changed my default delete method from only "Remove" to "Remove and delete .torrent + data" per the instructions further up in this thread, and still had two files fail this morning.

I was editing my comment when you replied, but in case you're subscribing to replies, here it is with some expansion:

If you mean does it get logged every time it fails? I don't know; I never looked for it before I saw CphD's comment about it logging, so I only know about the three that failed to delete today and all were logged. I'm assuming it does, and I will watch for it in the future. Unfortunately I restarted my uTorrent as part of my testing within the last couple hours, so it may be a while until I get another error, since restarting clears all the existing file locks.

I was editing my comment when you replied, but in case you're subscribing to replies, here it is with some expansion:

If you mean does it get logged every time it fails? I don't know; I never looked for it before I saw CphD's comment about it logging, so I only know about the three that failed to delete today and all were logged. I'm assuming it does, and I will watch for it in the future. Unfortunately I restarted my uTorrent as part of my testing within the last couple hours, so it may be a while until I get another error, since restarting clears all the existing file locks.

If it's a file lock you can try with Unlocker and see which process that locks the file(s).

That sounds like a good hint... Always?

I always have delete to trash at false, so I don't see that error. Also I think we might be referring to something different, but perhaps related, since I don't keep things in incomplete and have it move or anything; I'm just referring to the copies uTorrent keeps in %AppData%/uTorrent to run from.

And I'd venture to guess that it's more likely to happen while seeding than when the torrent is marked "completed/finished" from reaching the seeding target, etc. But there still doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to that since I've had those ones be locked too.

That sounds like a good hint... Always?

I always have delete to trash at false' date=' so I don't see that error. Also I think we might be referring to something different, but perhaps related, since I don't keep things in incomplete and have it move or anything; I'm just referring to the copies uTorrent keeps in %AppData%/uTorrent to run from.

And I'd venture to guess that it's more likely to happen while seeding than when the torrent is marked "completed/finished" from reaching the seeding target, etc. But there still doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to that since I've had those ones be locked too.[/quote']

I think it's the same issue, we just have different configurations. I believe the default settings are for uTorrent to keep the .torrent files in %AppData%/uTorrent, but I didn't want them there, so I created a folder for them as D:\Incomplete Downloads\Torrents and used the configuration options at Preferences > Directories to put them there. My "Store .torrents in:" and "Move .torrents for finished jobs to:" settings both point to that folder. I'm guessing you just have those settings turned off so you're getting the default.

I'm going to change my "to trash" setting to false, and see what behavior that produces.

If it's a file lock you can try with Unlocker and see which process that locks the file(s).

I've downloaded that app and I will look at it the next time I have a failure to see if I can come up with any more diagnostic information.

Archived