"Get UseNeXT..."

Tich

@Ultima........{qoute}But personally, I have no opinion regarding the matter{qoute}.......OMG....Then why do you keep posting in a topic which is specifically about the Usenext ads....7 posts for something you have no opinion on.........LOL

@Firon....I understand that usenet is legal.......Pretty much all of the legal content on usenet can be achieved w/o paying another company to give you access to it........It's pretty much the same idea as the scammers that repackage P2P programs and then sell them for $20-30.......For Utorrent to add "advertisement" next to it and then take it down shows that Utorrent doesn't have a opinion because Ludde has to follow the rules to ensure he get's paid........

I'm not going keep argueing about the obvious......Usenext is crap and so either way it isn't going to help Ludde make money or make Utorrent any more popular.......Most likely it will do the oppoisite....

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The matter" being whether UseNeXT is a scam or not (did you bother reading in context?). I already stated my opinion about the linkage early in the game. Find that conclusive evidence for me, please?

That aside, nice attempt at trying to make my posts look worthless just because you thought I had no opinion on how UseNeXT was linked. Once again, that's not the crux of my argument against you, but whatever, no point in extending it.

I don't even see the UseNext link... Oh wait, I use Remove It Permanently FF extension :D

Ads: ok

Sneaky ads: not that ok

Preferred action: replace sneaky ads with less sneaky ads

Mitigating factor: the hamsters inside the servers are on the dollars-only diet

[useless quoting removed by moderator]

That's pretty dumb - and smacks of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

You're basically saying that because an ad appears on the download page which you don't like, you're not going to allow yourself to upgrade your (free) app, to the better (free) version. Well, hey - that's a pretty stong protest. Are you sure Ludde's going to be able to stand the pressure?

:rolleyes:

Get a life. Okay, most people agree that UseNext smells of 'scam'. Many people agree that putting a UseNext ad on the site might tarnish uTorrent's reputation. But who really cares? It's Ludde's site, Ludde's app, and he can (frankly) do what he wants. It's not like you've paid for uTorrent to be add-free, is it?

It's a free market - if you don't agree with it, go install BitComet or Az. But posting about it here and throwing your toys out of the pram clearly (after 5 pages of posts with no removal of the ad...) isn't going to change things, and a self-imposed arbitrary upgrade restriction certainly isn't going to adversely affect anyone but yourself.

Nothing to see here - move along....

I quit using the program altogether, that's my very determined way of saying that I don't like this ad partner he's affiliated with.

I'd make an educated guess that it's a requirement of their ad contract that the link is integrated into the site's that promote them, because if you take a look at all the other sites that promote usenext, their links are also embedded in a similar fashion.

http://blog.snarf-it.org/?p=13 <- here's a blog which reports on a list of sites that have decided to support usenext aswell, take a look at how the tags are INTEGRATED into the site structure, so it seems that they support usenext.

Making money is all good and dandy when you're offering something for free, however, when you're activly helping out known scammers, you can't expect people to trust you either.

I quit using the program altogether, that's my very determined way of saying that I don't like this ad partner he's affiliated with.

Firon's got then nail/head interface sorted. ;)

If uTorrent advertising UseNext was that much of an issue, everyone would stop using it. But most people who bittorrent have downloaded illegal stuff (hands up who hasn't....yeah, as I thought, nobody) so for people to then start hypocritically judging Ludde's ads based on some two-faced moralistic standpoint is, frankly, a little daft.

Fact is, if you don't like it, why bleat about it here? If you're not using it, why are you still posting on the BBS? The same thing happened with BitComet - there were people on the BitComet BBS who posted reams of stuff about how sh1t it was, and how they wouldn't use it if they were paid to. If that's the case, why bother posting or even reading the forum? It's just pious self-important nonsense.

Webreaper, it's interesting to see how you attack people directly instead of discussing the topic at hand, does that mean that you don't really have anything to refute those arguments with?

So what if you use said program to pirate things, doesn't that mean that you're investing MORE trust into the developer of said application then?

Anyhow, this topic isn't about double morals, it's about the usenext scandal, so I'll refrain from going offtopic about this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Thought y'all may be interested in this:

http://blog.snarf-it.org/?p=13

uTorrent are simply the latest in a long line of sites to place money above morals. I also do not accept the "well how will the place survive without ads" argument, plenty of other types of ads around that pay just fine without selling out your users. Enjoy the read.

Hey People...

I really REALLY dont like this kind of advertising. The UseNeXT link looks like a program produced by the makers of µTorrent. Its makes the µTorrent site look like a SCAM site. I have no apologies to make - I can just imagine how far this could go - Advertising in µTorrent? Tracking search queries in µTorrent?

This site is starting to look like Kazaa's back in the day. How long before µTorrent starts tracking my activities (like Kazaa)?

Looks like it's time for a trustworthy and transparent group (like Mozilla) to create a program like µTorrent thats open-source and does not try to dupe unwary users with concealed advertising.

This is very dissapointing to a long time µTorrent user. I got at least 7 friends to use µTorrent. Now I'll have to tell them to watch out.

Heres how it goes: Good Software -> Scamware -> Vaporware

@alangiv: http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=270004#270004

If you can't trust ludde's word for it, then I don't know what to say to you. Look where open-source has gotten Azureus -- to a place where cheating tactics can be added to it with minimal ability to detect it. By the way, something can't be vaporware if there already has been a release.

Ultima:

Just because a program is open-source does not mean it will be any good or successful. That is obvious. Ludde has no doubt created a winner (and I appreciate his exceptional work). What worries me is that he will give in to his secondary objective (making some money). Now there is *nothing* wrong with such an objective as long as it does not mean that µtorrent becomes some sort of ad delivery system/tracking software. At the very least Ludde should provide the sources - in this way he can *prove* that it is clean code. I've never met the guy, I don't know who he is - call me paranoid, but I prefer to be safe than sorry. I've learnt from experience that the Internet is a black box - nothing is as it seems, just ask the countless number of children getting into adult conversations through chat (and worse).

And you are correct that something cannot be vaporware after there has been a release - my bad. But it can lose support and disappear. There are plenty of examples out there. As a computer programmer myself (dev tools, components and in-house software), I know what a couple of lines of code can do to nullify my computer's security/integrity.

In the mean time I am not dropping µtorrent, but I will keep one wary eye open for reprorts of it going bad or suspicious activity within my network. Bottom line - barring a significant change of policy by it's author, my trust of this software has gone down the toilet - and everyone I know will receive the word to watch out.

[quote name=(don't delete this quote, mods, as it's a specific part of the post I'm replying to ;))]At the very least Ludde should provide the sources - in this way he can *prove* that it is clean code.

As soon as Ludde did that, there'd be a thousand hacked versions on the 'net all cheating like bitcomet. I, personally, think that Ludde is showing his responsible side by not releasing the source.

In the mean time I am not dropping µtorrent, but I will keep one wary eye open for reprorts of it going bad or suspicious activity within my network.

Any responsible user should keep an eye out that new releases of software don't include malware. But you don't have to upgrade.... ;)

Archived