"Get UseNeXT..."

Tich

While getting the latest beta of uTorrent (thanks for all your hard work ludde & beta testers) i noticed a big "Get UseNeXT - Download files without uploading" link directly below the installer download link.

Now i don't mind advertising because bills have to be paid for webspace, traffic and food, but by placing such a link directly below the "official" downloads ludde creates the impression that utorrent is somehow affiliated with UseNeXT which is not a good thing at all.

IMHO it could severely damage uTorrent's reputation (even more so that that infamous anti-p2p topic which had nothing to do with uTorrent), because UseNeXT is for filesharing what yamba is for MTV.

eagerly awaiting your opinions :)

Tich

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd have to be fairly computer illiterate to think that UseNeXt was part of uTorrent or something similar.

And if you are, then that's the whole point of such "ads". Ludde gets money for people signing up to such things, it's hardly a crime. If your like me, you don't even notice these "ads", and if you do, dismiss them without even thinking.

Theres my opinion :)

thats exactly my point... to me people using usenext are pretty much computer illiterate. placing ads for a "filesharing" service like this on the utorrent webpage makes perfect sense... placing a direct link below links to the programm you are distributing however creates the impression, that those two programms are somehow affiliated.

i dont care too much about ads either, i just don't want utorrents good and hard-earned reputation to be dragged down by another hundred speculations about ludde's business deals.

I agree.. This is shit. I feel sorry for the majority who aren't using an adblocker. I also feel sorry for the new users when they are welcomed to page that looks like one of the numerous scamsites out there. This definintly hurts µtorrents reputation.

It really looks like one of the official downloads, and it, indeed, looks BAD.

:-(

bleh, take a better look. i doubt your ad-blocker removes this one. look for "Get UseNeXT - Download files without uploading" text

I was being ironic of course, I see all ads ONCE, that's it.

And that's about it really, if Ludde wants to plaster the site with ads to make a buck, I'm not going to tell him he can't, or shouldn't for that matter.

The dude knows what he's doing.

And so do I *grins satanically and activates adblock again*

Have to say, exactly what I thought, too. The impression is that UseNext is a uTorrent-sanctioned download, rather than just a click-through ad.

Whilst I can see his motives, it strikes me as a little careless - given the stink that was kicked up regarding the alleged 'anti-P2P' links with uTorrent, I'd suggest that adding a link like that (without any indication that it's an affiliate or advert) is simply going to get the app a bad rep. Be a shame to put all that good work to shame just for the sake of a few click-through dollars.

What exactly is UseNext? Is it like Kazaa? I don't even want to look at the site or try the program. µTorrent is the only thing I need. But it does look bad… especially with that anti p2p issue awhile back. Now this "download anything you like and as much as you want" legal access UseNext program! Gives people the impression that Ludde frowns on peer 2 peer file sharing, unless you pay for it. And that makes people think back to that dll he made, which gave µTorrent a bad reputation, making people get Azureus or Bitcomet instead of µTorrent. UseNext might have the same negative effect on people. Why would he put it on the same page under µTorrent? I understand if he just used an advert only. But he used both an advert and a link to www.usenext.de site…

Sad Face =(

Ortiz

Usenext is a company that sells you an account for the UseNet. Many companies sell you such an account!

see wikipediaarticel what usenet is, if you do not know that right now.

Most people (computer geeks) do not like THIS company because of their kind of advertising. Its IMHO(!) aimed at computer newbies that have no clue about thinks. They advertise for example with the possiblility of legal downloading with an payed account from them.

The fine print is; with bittorrent your downloads are exactly the same kind of legal! And you do not have to pay for BT.

The fact is: Just because you pay this company for the account you have NOT the right to download copyrighted stuff (music/films/Games/TV-Shows). Their advertising "everything 100% legal downloading is true if you just download stuff that is legally in the usenetsystem. (And thats in their contract rules!!)

The newest TVepisode for example is not legaly in the usenet system! So downloading it from usenet with an payed UseNeXt account is the same as downloading it with µtorrent from other peoples computers with the help of the piratebay.

And because of their "D:zweifelhaften" advertisingmethodes aimed at computernewbies this company has a bad reputation with filesharing geeks and even longtime usenet users.

HTH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

Well, as I see it, the more I promote µTorrent, the more people will stumble and see whatever ads that Ludde has placed on the site, so that covers whatever ads I choose to not display.

It's all relative baby :D

Lol, a credit card number ?! When registring with a company that have a site that looks anywhere near to what usenext site looks like, requiring a simple email address would scare me away.

Hopefully ludde wont go any further than that with the ads crap.

For example, introducing a spyware into utorrent would instantly make me (and actually most of the ppl i personally know) stop using it. Hopefully this will never happen. But again, this kinda reminds me the edonkey history.

At least the Usenext download link it's too well integrated with the page design. Indeed, the newbies could assume Usenext is directly related with, or, even worse, developed by µtorrent team.

IMHO a good solution would be to create a separate page named Links or Advertisements, where those two (link +ad) could be posted.

Archived