3.4.x Beta

AdamK

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems to work now in 3.4.6.41268

Nice. You see, someone is listening to the crowd... :) And if they'll also post release notes and direct link for it - this would be even nicer...
And it's finally on the release notes page:

-- 2015-10-20: Version 3.4.6 Beta (build 41268)

- Fix potential bug when launching web helper on Vista and above.

However, the release notes now no longer include download links for specific builds. Also, the former "Beta" builds 41212, 41236, 41238, 41224, and 41264 are now labelled as "Alpha"

However, the release notes now no longer include download links for specific builds.

Most of the links were de-activated anyway - it was usually only the latest 4 or 5 that would work.

The latest beta is linked though: http://download-new.utorrent.com/uuid/1e54e02e-0933-4c88-b810-f890b1e26771.

But if there is only going to be one beta available to download from now on, then surely it should just be put on the usual beta download link?

I wonder, how do one manages that with a single link...

God alone knows how the uT's team mind works.

I mean, how do you accidentally insert a new single download link and also delete numerous working previous build download links in one go?

That's a mystery indeed. We'll probably never find out...

uTorrent is in Alpha state since long time - no matter which build you choose.

.01 releases should never be alpha.. defeats the whole point of a .01 release.

If you're going to call something alpha, it'll be 3.5, the reasoning behind that is obvious.

.01 releases should never be alpha.. defeats the whole point of a .01 release.
If you're going to call something alpha, it'll be 3.5, the reasoning behind that is obvious.

-- 2015-10-27: Version 3.4.6 Alpha (build 41288)

- All changes from 41224 and 41280

Please uTorrent team, do not have alpha's and beta's of the same version. Alpha's are for larger changes..(3.5)  although I think some of these bug fix releases shouldn't even be beta builds..

and pushed directly to a new .1 release. The changes are so small that any potential muck ups could be easily fixed in another .1 release. I feel many of these should be limited to internal testing

and when a few builds have been made then merge them into a single beta build and link it here for testing.

Managed to get 41280 BTW.

3.4.6.41288 now available*

-- 2015-10-27: Version 3.4.6 Alpha (build 41288)

- All changes from 41224 and 41280

*unfortunately, there's no link to it at present so that's really awesome(!)

Just run the 41280 and accept the offered update to the "alpha"!

Just run the 41280 and accept the offered update to the "alpha"!

I don't get offered the update.

Behold the madness.

41182 -> Beta (All previous builds are beta)

41224 -> Alpha Includes 41182 which is beta (also based upon previous betas)

41288 -> Alpha Includes previous "Alpha" build 41224 (beta based) and another beta build 41280

WTF..

VQmC3YBm.jpg

Also, considering how many builds there have been of 3.4.6 shouldn't be released by now?

Things like 

Better use of resources, improvements to stability

Improvements to internal collection classes

etc should've been saved for a 3.5 release. Personally I feel 3.4.6 should've been released after build 41122 dealt to that "long standing memory leak"

Why are you guys dragging this out longer than it has to be? You just keep adding shit to 3.4.6.. WHY? It should've been released a month ago.

You've just gone and fallen back into the old ways Talkingprawn.. it's like typical software development processes are completely lost on you guys.

Our development team grew recently.  Some of us new team members are working on some larger efforts that will help us analyze and maintain our code base.  These efforts seem better done all at once rather than doing a small part at a time.  We want to make progress on these initiatives while still making progress on releasing other desirable changes.  So, as some of you have noticed, we have taken the approach of multiple alpha/beta releases.  Due to the pervasive nature of these larger projects, we wanted to have a greater likelihood of associating with new code any new bugs that may be observed.  Putting all these changes into a single beta could make achieving this goal more difficult.  My guess is that the team will return to a practice of having fewer betas once we've integrated these large efforts.

I'm working on supporting Linux builds using the 3.4 code base - something we could do with the 3.3 code base, but other efforts became higher priority in 3.4 so that Linux builds weren't done then.  That's what 41224 and 41288 are largely about.  The benefits include:

• being able to run a system test suite made for the Linux builds that tests largely generic code, to add to our set of automated test cases
  • using valgrind on generic code to look for leaks, some fixes for which are in 41224/41288

Once this code is merged into our beta branch, we will have an additional beta with the combined changes.  Eventually I expect to have another release of uTorrent Server for Linux once this code reaches a stable release.

Another engineer is making some changes to remove some technical debt in the entire code base, again making it much easier for us to analyze and maintain our code base.  That code is also in a (different) beta release.

The simple question here is - do you want beta-users to try/access those builds you post on the release notes? And if you do - how (aka - no download links)?

The Linux code has been merged into our beta branch, so 41288 (which gave us enough information to support merging the code) will be removed from the beta program soon, probably when the new beta (currently being prepared) goes out.

I'd like to see beta users have access to whatever current alpha or beta they want, since most beta users will be automatically updated to give us our numbers, and the relatively small number of beta users willing to test a specific alpha/beta won't affect those numbers.

This change happened as part of a recent effort to further automate generation of release notes.  I created a story to track this issue and added it to the top of our backlog.

Archived