3.4.x Beta

AdamK

As for the broken link, they just typoed the URL.

You're Hired!

The lack of or carelessness of details no matter how minor they are have been going on for many years now! This is not an attribute a multi-million dollar company should have... Mistakes will be made but repeating the same old ones over and over does lack professional prowess.

You may not care but this has an indirect affect on everyone that uses Bittorrent Inc. products whether present or many moons down the road!

The only reason millions of users use their product is there are not many clients to choose from that performs equal or better...If there was oodles of users would abandon ship.

I often wonder where Bittorrent Inc would be now if they indeed started this software from the very beginning without a pre 3.0 head starts!!!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're Hired!

there are not many clients to choose from that performs equal or better...

This says something too (and not only that they are lucky to have us, beta testers, around... ;) )  ... it is not *all* inheritance.

Actually, yes, it is - again, and how many times does it have to be repeated?  If they can't get get the SIMPLE things right ............

Stop making excuses for SLOPPY work, plain & simple.

What makes you so sure this was a mistake? Putting build dates in the change log would be useless. Release dates are all that matters, and build 31947 was quite obviously released later than 31962. They've even explained that the beta versions are from different branches, and the changelog clearly says that build 31962 is not based on build 31947.

Yes, BitTorrent do make a lot of unnecessary mistakes (and yes, they keep repeating old ones), I'd guess that this is because a lot of the developers are only working there for a short time before moving on to something else. Maybe they've got a lot of internships for computer science students. In any event, the 3.4 series has in my opinion been a massive improvement over the previous 3.x versions and if the new installer can fix the issues with standalone/portable installations there aren't all that many critical problems left (for my use case of course).

Anyway, I found a bug that doesn't seem to have been reported before. After hiding the sidebar and minimizing the details pane, the µTorrent Plus upgrade button, while invisible, is positioned on top of the minimized details pane and can be clicked by accident. Happens in builds 31947 and 31962. I took some screenshots and combined them to hopefully give a better picture of the problem:

post-368258-0-97941600-1403781565_thumb.

Just because a member of the Bittorrent staff has made a few replies in somewhat a human manner here doesn't mean things are going to change...I hope talkingprawn didn't get your hopes up too high!

Guys.  Please have some understanding of the fact that nothing is perfect.  We're developing cutting edge technology here and you folks here in the forum are on the bleeding edge of that.  I apologize for whatever imperfections we have in our release system.

To explain the build numbers... that is literally the order of the build.  If I went back and build a copy of 3.4.1 right now the build number would be higher than all previous builds even though it would be a backwards copy.  We use this to identify different builds, and in the case of stables yes a higher build number means a more advanced copy.  But in the beta system we have several betas out at a time and they don't necessarily have a direct relation to each other since they can be tests of different things.  For instance the new installer betas have the latest stable at all times, but they don't necessarily contain the changes being verified in other concurrent betas.

This allows us to move more quickly.  I'm sure that comment will generate a lot of snark about our definition of quickly, but if you think you can do better I encourage you to apply for a job here and help us do better.

We could do better in noting the relative features included (or not included) in our betas, in the change log.  Thanks for helping us understand that.  For now, please assume that all betas have the latest stable but otherwise have no relation to each other unless it's an update to an earlier beta in the same thread.

And yes, I do care and am doing my best to move things forward in respect of the time and energy you are giving us.  The new version of the new installer beta will be coming out in the next few days, and it fixes EVERY problem you have mentioned here in the forums.  Including standalone mode, which we pushed up in our list based on your feedback.

Be human.  And thank you!

Don't take it the wrong way and I'm sure many here appreciate what is being done but after yrs. of empty promises the natives tend to get restless and lose faith...We will push you to excellence as long as you are straight-forward with us and if there is a delay in a promise then let us know....It's easy as long as we all communicate!

Guys.  Please have some understanding of the fact that nothing is perfect.  We're developing cutting edge technology here and you folks here in the forum are on the bleeding edge of that.  I apologize for whatever imperfections we have in our release system.

To explain the build numbers... that is literally the order of the build.  If I went back and build a copy of 3.4.1 right now the build number would be higher than all previous builds even though it would be a backwards copy.  We use this to identify different builds, and in the case of stables yes a higher build number means a more advanced copy.  But in the beta system we have several betas out at a time and they don't necessarily have a direct relation to each other since they can be tests of different things.  For instance the new installer betas have the latest stable at all times, but they don't necessarily contain the changes being verified in other concurrent betas.

This allows us to move more quickly.  I'm sure that comment will generate a lot of snark about our definition of quickly, but if you think you can do better I encourage you to apply for a job here and help us do better.

We could do better in noting the relative features included (or not included) in our betas, in the change log.  Thanks for helping us understand that.  For now, please assume that all betas have the latest stable but otherwise have no relation to each other unless it's an update to an earlier beta in the same thread.

And yes, I do care and am doing my best to move things forward in respect of the time and energy you are giving us.  The new version of the new installer beta will be coming out in the next few days, and it fixes EVERY problem you have mentioned here in the forums.  Including standalone mode, which we pushed up in our list based on your feedback.

Most of the promises has been made by you people.No one promises has been completed. Even though you have destroyed most of the features which were implemented uTorrent 3.0. Most of the fixes has been seen regarding ads.I believe most of the people don't know how to disable adds.From that adds you must have been getting revenue till now. Even though your uTorrent 3.4 is one of most worst bulid have ever seen. You cannot stop the torrent when you are not connected to internet. User interface is very bad as compare to uTorrent 3.3.2. upto utorrent 3.3.2 everything was good. I don't know whoever made this worst build uTorrent 3.4. You people are expecting us to test your every build  and report to your errors. But what about those features which had been working fine for many years .Example stop button and rating system and much more. 

What abut idea bank which is available in your system. Why don't you remove that. If you are fail to implement.Now build number system is joke for these people.

From where they hired those people to develop this 3.4 series. I am sure after reading this my post. admin will remove my post or i will be banned. because they have nothing to answer. Now a days what they are doing. First they implemented nightly build and then stopped. They stopped writing changelog before.I don't know what is going on here. I hope there there will be strong competitor for the uTorrent client so that we can move to another better client. Now this company mind has changed about how to make more money $$$$$$. At the end i will say. I am not going to post here any more unless they stop concentrate on how to make money and focus on fixes properly

@talkingprawn - since you are new, I think we will all (try) to give you the benefit of the doubt in that you *do* believe what you post.  Whether you (personally) actually have any control over what the devs fix/break/post, is another matter.

I *do* understand Agile and SCRUM project methodologies, and the reasons you are releasing builds the way they are (though I don't necessarily agree with the number vs date issue).

What I haven't yet seen, is the incorporation of any "successful" beta builds onto other "successful" beta builds - only the effect that what one fixes, another breaks.  And while you *started* to have a "proper" release posting with changelog, it seems to have become broken, again.  So it would seem that someone, or multiple someones, are not following your "new" process correctly - they should be re-instructed on the correct procedures.

What do you think would happen if a car manufacturer used this sort of developmental/release mentality?  (I'm guessing no one at BT has even heard of SixSigma or Best Practices)

Build 3.4.2 32080  Stable is out, with the uT Plus ad - removable again  :)

http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/88607-34x-stable/

b82efb335422435.jpg

Also:  Version 3.4.2 Beta build 32099

http://utclient.utorrent.com/offers/beta_release_notes/release_notes.html

- Includes all fixes from the (latest stable build 32080)
- Fixed: Crash when dispatching/enumerating torrent labels
- Fixed: Bug that would make IPBlock fail when merging some ranges
- Fixed: Bug returning the PeerID string for some web requests
- Fixed: Deleting a tracker would sometimes not disconnect necessary peers
- Fixed: Pieces tab sorting bugs
- Fixed: Single dialog to delete multiple RSS feeds
- Fixed: Crash when using web pairing

-- 2014-06-27: Version 3.4.2 Beta (build 32081)
- Fixed: crash UI main thread post message to IEThread when IEFrameThread is not ready

-- 2014-06-26: Version 3.4.2 Beta (build 32099 (replaces 31927))
- Fixed: Crash when dispatching/enumerating torrent labels
- Fixed: Bug that would make IPBlock fail when merging some ranges
- Fixed: Bug returning the PeerID string for some web requests
- Fixed: Deleting a tracker would sometimes not disconnect necessary peers
- Fixed: Pieces tab sorting bugs
- Fixed: Single dialog to delete multiple RSS feeds
- Fixed: Crash when using web pairing

-- 2014-06-26: Version 3.4.2 Beta (build 32088)
- Fixed: crash UI main thread post message to IEThread when IEFrameThread is not ready

Somehow the build reverted to 32081

Archived