Month 1 of using torrents, Statistics are in. This good?

shoover

I like this thread, lets keep it goin.

---------------------------

µTorrent

Total Uploaded: 55.6 GB

Total Downloaded: 265 GB

Total Ratio: 0.209

Total Running Time: 735:02:20

Number of files added: 639

Program started: 210 times

# incoming conns since start: 8091

# outgoing conns since start: 493

# handshake: 17670

# connections: 53

# half-open: 3

As you can see, i have a VERY bad ratio and i hate that. This is only because my max upload is 50KB/s, i cannot keep my PC on 24/7 and the network has the family using it so i cant upload because it slows them down. I am upgrading to 100KB/s upload soon with a new internet service and when i do that i'll limit my upload to 75KB/s while the torrent is downloading and keep it going till i get a good ratio, it would be easy that fast. Seeding ftw.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to post my stats:

Total Uploaded: 824 GB

Total Downloaded: 913 GB

Total Ratio: 0.902

Total Running Time: 4634:24:27

Number of files added: 950

Program started: 175 times

[edit]

I have been using Bittorrent for about 4 or 5 years (around the start of AnimeSuki) and these stats represent just the last 6 months (last fresh µtorrent install).

µTorrent

Total Uploaded: 1326 GB

Total Downloaded: 1032 GB

Total Ratio: 1.285

Total Running Time: 10419:31:24

Number of files added: 2519

Program started: 618 times

I always have had a 6Mbps/384kbps connection.

Total Uploaded: 1352 GB

Total Downloaded: 932 GB

Total Ratio: 1.449

Total Running Time: 9836:50:10

Number of files added: 4232

Program started: 421 times

# incoming conns since start: 26711

# outgoing conns since start: 283154

# handshake: 340549

# connections: 15

# half-open: 5

this is missing a lot of months though, as I was using it before stat tracking was added :D

@utorrent-Guest: Very good page that.

Many of you who actually used this thing will have come up with totals in four digits or higher. But do you actually HAVE that much money? Have you ever? And if you did have the money, would you have bought all that stuff legitimately? Even if it was a simple download? I doubt it.

The point I'm making is that only a small percentage of illegal downloads are in fact lost sales. And NO illegal download actually deprives the stores of physical product and hence potential sales. The actual CDs are still right there on the shelves to buy. Piracy isn't theft. It's piracy. There's a big difference.

I for one don't have € 50.000,- lying around :P

Total Uploaded: 154 GB

Total Downloaded: 87.9 GB

Total Ratio: 1.762

Total Running Time: 4899:06:43

Number of files added: 711

Program started: 751 times

This is after my previously posted statistics (~70GB uploaded, ~40GB downloaded) were cleared. My statistics pale in comparison with others' here, at least in terms of amount uploaded and amount downloaded :P

Total Uploaded: 435 GB
Total Downloaded: 81.0 GB
Total Running Time: 462:21:26
Number of files added: 61
Program started: 104 times

# Incoming conns since start: 10366
# outgoing conns since start: 240
# handshake: 10818
# connections: 54
# half-open: 0

Well, I'd guess I got a better time-traffic ratio than most if not all of you here :P Hehe...

Still, seing all those gigabytes upon terabytes of traffic here makes me wonder what part of the whole internetnet traffic torrents make up?

CableLabs, the research organization of the North American cable industry, estimates that BitTorrent represents 55% of the upstream traffic on cable companies' access network, and that some 18% of all broadband traffic carries torrent files needed to initiate BitTorrent downloads.[7] In 2004, CacheLogic put that number at roughly 35% of all traffic on the Internet.[8] The discrepancies in these numbers are caused by differences in the methodology used to measure P2P traffic on the Internet.[9]

BitTorrent is very transfer intensive and is intensive for long durations.

The most common internet activities for people are probably browsing, chatting, emailing.

Browsing for example can be transfer intensive (loading all the images on a page) but is only intensive for a very short duration (while the page is loading) and on top of that people don't browse all day.

Chatting traffic for example has long durations but is not transfer intensive (sending text messages over and back doesn't require much bandwith).

Email is not transfer intensive (unless large attachments are added) and has a short duration to top it off.

Bittorrent is almost exclusively used for spreading large amounts of data to multiple parties utilizing as much bandwidth of all parties as posible. So all in all its no wonder Bittorrent generates a lot of traffic even though only a small percentage of people uses it (compared to other traffic types).

Here are mine. Link speed is 100 mbps. Running since March 11th 2007.

Total Uploaded: 5205 GB

Total Downloaded: 442 GB

Total Running Time: 1101:24:51

Number of files added: 245

Program Started: 15 Times

#incoming conns since start: 3,434,919

#outgoing conns since start: 64,895

#handshake: 3,496,513

#connections: 123

#half-open: 0

Before someone accuses me of being a leecher, I might add that virtually all german connections are of the style that you have ~10x the downstream as upstream.

Mine for example is 3072kb/s down, 512kb/s up - and that 512 already costs me extra, normal was 384.

So a ratio of 2x as much downloaded as uploaded makes you a "seeder" by german line-standards. Or for anyone who has such a connection, I suppose.

Germany isn't the only country to serve connections like that -- most countries treat increased upload bandwidth as a premium.

Virtually all ISPs in the US do the same exact thing. For example, I've got 7.2mbit/s down with 384kbit/s up here; that's almost 20x down vs up, and yet, I still manage a 1.8 ratio. That's on top of the fact that I share my connection across 6 computers, meaning I have to throttle my upload rate to 15KiB/s most of the time. Effectively, that means I've got 7.2mbit/s down (same because download rate isn't really ever a problem here, only upload rate) with 128kbit/s up, or a 56.25 down:up speed ratio.

I have to say that having a high down:up max speed ratio really isn't much of an excuse to have a bad overall data transfer ratio (much less an excuse to set different standards for when someone is considered a leecher, and when that someone isn't).

µTorrent

Total Uploaded: 539 GB

Total Downloaded: 268 GB

Total Ratio: 2.013

Total Running Time: 5972:44:48

Number of files added: 561

Program started: 669 times

# incoming conns since start: 9938

# outgoing conns since start: 16714

# handshake: 31036

# connections: 381

# half-open: 5

OK :D

Old Bittorrent proverb: You can only leech as much as you can seed.

Or a more extensive one: You should only leech as much as you can seed back properly.

Aka even if you can download at 1GB a second if you can only upload at 30kb/s you shouldn't download more then 30kb/s although you can download in burst make sure you even it out over longer periods of time (days/weeks). Sometimes I download at 1MB/s for an hour or two but then I won't download anything for a day or two until I have my ratio back up.

Your internet connection has no influence whatsoever on whether you are a leech or not. And whether you have 100M/100M or 10M/512K you still get banned with a ratio of .1 at most closed trackers.

And pretty much all consumer internet connections on this planet have a faster download then upload.

• 2 weeks later...

µTorrent

Total Uploaded: 66.9 GB

Total Downloaded: 331 GB

Total Running Time: 886:02:20

Number of files added: 850

Program started: 272 times

# incoming conns since start: 5054

# outgoing conns since start: 699

# handshake: 6068