3.5.x Beta

TylerW

"Enable protocol enhancements" setting  causes settings variable "wallet_integration_enabled" to be  set to true,  which allows Tron and BitTorrent Token (BTT) to  use BitTorrent Speed, a monetized  exchange mechanism (you get "paid" for participating).    The "W" is for Wallet.   

Search for "BitTorrent Speed" and read all about it...

On 10/31/2020 at 2:44 AM, rafi said:

At 24G + LAA - it does not matter much .This is my recommended settings (as also in my linked settings.dat file) , since there is no point using a large cache IMHO, when eventually your HD performance and connection speed determines the download speed. For seeding - yes , it can help avoid some HD access activities.

Ah crap mine went down and would crash soon as it opened.  Strange I was not sure what caused the problem to come back, I realized it upgrade to v3.5.5  45838 even though I had auto updates turned off the app updated itself somehow? 

I managed to download your 3.5.5 45838 -LAA .exe ver and re-patched and I am back up and running over a day with no crashing.  Thanks :) 

I'm now running the LAA version of  3.5.5 Beta build 45842 - and everything looks perfect so far. 

I did not have any crashes with 45838, but I did have some "not responding" problems which forced me to shut down and re-start. 

Here's an idea... if Utorrent is not responding for something like 10 minutes.. or half an hour.. it should automatically shut down and re-start (after saving the dat files). 

A strange problem!

I've had this problem in the past, but it went away

I was running 45838 with no significant problems  but then updated to 45842...  THEN I had the problem where any torrent I load that has one or more spaces in the name of the torrent (such as  "Mary Poppins.torrent") gives me an error.  That error can be fixed by either moving that torrent to the "automatically load .torrents from" directory OR by removing all spaces from the name of the torrent (to make it "MaryPoppins.torrent") OR by replacing the spaces with another character such as an "_"  to make it "Mary_Poppins.torrent"

The weird part is.. I tried going back to build 45838... but the problem now affects THAT version as well!  So, I went back to 45842 again. 

So, I think something else is going on other than the EXE file itself that has caused this strange problem.  It does not matter what the file names are INSIDE the torrent.. it's just a problem with the name of the torrent itself!  WEIRD! 

6 hours ago, R2_D2 said:

Ah crap mine went down and would crash soon as it opened.  Strange I was not sure what caused the problem to come back, I realized it upgrade to v3.5.5  45838 even though I had auto updates turned off the app updated itself somehow? 

Auto-update will set it back to w/o  the LAA flag of course ... You should disable auto-update settings for both stable and betas (in this case).

Edited by rafi

I observed a possible issue resulting from  BEP-34 implementation (using alternative ports for UDP trackers) - ports are becoming in-accessible (and trackers show as down) due to mistakes registering correct port numbers in the tracker-site DNS TXT records. 

To workaround this - we need to set  preference ->advanced->bt.use_dns_tracker_prefs = False (will take effect only for newly added torrents).

Edited by rafi

3 hours ago, joshace said:

THEN I had the problem where any torrent I load that has one or more spaces in the name of the torrent (such as  "Mary Poppins.torrent") gives me an error

Can you share the link to that specific  torrent (with spaces)?

1 hour ago, joshace said:

This delightful video illustrates the problem of the "space" in a torrent filename causing errors.

Please comment on the video so other people can enjoy it.. I spent nearly an hour making it!

https://youtu.be/ZNnPOUwgBC4

22 hours ago, rafi said:

Can you share the link to that specific  torrent (with spaces)?

Not useful, you are not cooperating...

https://auimage.com/wi6zebr849hu  Likely corrupted torrent file where the space in the torrent NAME is not a space... Here is my test  .torrent file https://auimage.com/xczt6vo4r4vl

installing bittorrent, and then going back to utorrent fixed it.  

I don't notice that any changes have been made to the preferences, or advance preferences.

A weird thing is that it was working find with 45838, but then had the problem when replaced the utorrent.exe file with the 45842 build.. and continued to have the problem when I went back to the 45838 build.

I have a feeling that fixing it might be even easier than installing bittorrent (and then reverting to Utorrent).   I think it might be possible that if I just UNassociated Utorrent with torrent files, and then re-associated Utorrent with torrent files, that would have fixed it.  I think the fact that I installed bittorent was inconsequential. 

Anyway... I'm now running 45842 with the LAA flag set, and everything is working fine.   If this problem shows up again, I will try the "unassociate" and "re-associate" theory. 

Should I remove my comments about this problem, since apparently nobody else has the problem?  .. or maybe they do, but just don't comment about it? 

Bittorrent has some nasty problems of it's own.. that I don't want to be bothered with.. so I just stick with Utorrent. 

2 hours ago, ex58 said:

µTorrent 3.5.5.45852

File size: 4,91 MiB (5.152.472 bytes) / MD5: 67ea1e6af4eae6007c595f50216e4357
Digitally Signed: BitTorrent Inc. 10 December 2020

Updated by LAA links in my sig with this stable (minimal client version, ~2MB))

Edited by rafi

one more thing, not to be a nudge...

I have the tool to set the LAA flag [from ntcore named 4gb_patch.exe] and have used it before.  when I use it on the orig carrier file from ex58 I get a diff file than from you; the tool sets the LAA flag AND ALSO UPDATES THE CHECKSUM in the second optional header [according to PE Deconstructor and WinMerge], but yours only set the LAA flag in the first header, the checksum remains unchanged.  I'm not really sure what effect that actually has on the Windows loader, if it objects to the checksum missmatch or not; it clearly does launch the exe without an error dialog.  I'm not even sure the 2nd header checksum actually even covers the first header, but the tool does update it, and that tool has been around for years and years, they must have had a reason for doing it, perhaps wrongly!

Just thought I'd ask...

ALSO...  [ yeah, more ;) ]  both versions above do not verfy when examined by Process Explorer, which is expected since the image was changed and the bittorrent signature was not; totally expected...

Edited by javacatpaul

I am using another (newer) tool, that does not do that. No idea if that checksum you are talking about is needed. Maybe it is there for some compatibility with some older DOS loader?

As long as it does not seem to effect anything, I'm fine w/o using it... :)I guess it cannot hurt to change the checksum  too...

ALSO, any modified version(s) is likely to fail some A/V checks, because of signature mismatch.  Regardless of checksum validity...

Edited by rafi