3.5.x Beta

TylerW

So I have the GDI limit set to 20k, deleted 2400 stopped torrents from the program, so now I have 2831 torrents in the program, of which only 1129 are seeding.  With this orientation, I get the GDI crash in around 14-16 hours.  Is there any way to stop this without bringing the whole system down?  I've been hesitiant to update my  sytem to win10 because when I updated a laptop to win 10 it basically broke the thing, camera and mic stopped working.  I'll update to win10 later this year (hopefully) when I replace the machine.   

Edited by icebox

[2021-01-31 17:55:19]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:20]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:23]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:24]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:25]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:26]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:27]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:28]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:30]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:31]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:34]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:38]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:40]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:43]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:45]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:46]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:47]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:49]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:52]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:53]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:55]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:57]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:55:59]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:56:02]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:56:05]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:56:07]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:56:08]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:56:10]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:56:12]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:56:13]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 
[2021-01-31 17:56:15]  Failed to post GUI Update message: Non c'è abbastanza disponibilità per elaborare il comando. 

I found that in the Logger tab after a restart (I killed uT because it didn't response for a long time).

uT 3.5.5 45852 LAA

GDI limit 30000, GDI value before kill 941

Win10 Home, i7 4790, 16GB (9 free)

cpu used by uT 12.5% (1 of 8 core)

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, joshace said:

Isn't a new Beta due?

I'm having one big problem with 45852 - it randomly loses the links between the *.torrent files and the downloaded files associated with them, and it is a major pain in my ass to rebuild those links.

Sadly, it looks to me like the product is abandoned. There's no sight of development, in terms of beta versions of otherwise. I opened a support ticket couple weeks ago and did not even receive a formal initial response.

5 hours ago, joshace said:

I'm having one big problem with 45852 - it randomly loses the links between the *.torrent files and the downloaded files associated with them, and it is a major pain in my ass to rebuild those links.

I don't see anything like that here. The only time there is some sync issue - is if the program is not closed properly (like during PC shutdown).

On 2/22/2021 at 7:11 PM, Bacc said:

Sadly, it looks to me like the product is abandoned. There's no sight of development, in terms of beta versions of otherwise. I opened a support ticket couple weeks ago and did not even receive a formal initial response.

On 2/23/2021 at 1:37 AM, gjm said:

@mike20021969 has done a lot of work on the solution, but I have seen some very negative feedback directed in that direction. As a user I consider this unfair; it has to be demoralising for the author/developer.

Constructive criticism may be well. Attacks on credibility are not.

I would not say it is "abandoned" but it would be nice if the developers / programmers would acknowledge the problems.. and ask for more details about the problem so they can fix it.  I used to be a super programmer myself (I gave it up because I got very little appreciation for my efforts financially or otherwise).  It is extremely difficult to fix bugs in software, especially if the code was written in a cryptic coding language such as C++.  It is usually easier to write new code from scratch rather than try to debug existing code.  This is not only true about trying to debug someone ELSE'S code, but even trying to debug one's OWN code (probably because one is not likely to find their OWN mistakes). 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 12:16 AM, rafi said:

I don't see anything like that here. The only time there is some sync issue - is if the program is not closed properly (like during PC shutdown).

I find it very odd that when crashing.. or even exiting the program.. torrents that were ACTIVE in being UPLOADED are automatically re-checked when utorrent starts up again..  That makes no sense to me.  If a torrent is ACTIVE in downloading, it makes sense that the incomplete torrent would need to be re-checked, but it makes no sense why torrents that are uploading (which are already complete) need to be re-checked.  When I have torrents that are 20GB.. re-checking can take a considerable time.

Another thing is.. if a torrent has not yet begun to download when utorrent is shut down.. it seems to get lost completely, and needs to be re-loaded from scratch when Utorrent restarts. 

BUG ALERT!!!

build 45852 has a nasty bug - in which some files become dissociated with their torrents - and the association is very difficult, and sometimes impossible to fix.

out of desperation, I reverted to build 45828 - which fixed the problem

I just upgraded to 45842 - and I will be watching to see if the problem is still gone. 

But the bottom line is.. Build 45852 (or earlier) has a nasty bug

6 hours later, and 45842 is still working fine... so it seems that 45852 is the one with the problem.

I take that back... 45842 locked up a few hours later, and when I restarted it, it had some problems.  However, instead of going back to 45828, I am going FORWARD with the brand new 45926 that Rafi just posted.

Edited by joshace
update on stability of 45842

9 hours ago, joshace said:

BUG ALERT!!!

build 45852 has a nasty bug - in which some files become dissociated with their torrents - and the association is very difficult, and sometimes impossible to fix.

out of desperation, I reverted to build 45828 - which fixed the problem

I just upgraded to 45842 - and I will be watching to see if the problem is still gone. 

But the bottom line is.. Build 45852 (or earlier) has a nasty bug

6 hours later, and 45842 is still working fine... so it seems that 45852 is the one with the problem.

Bittorrent which is same as utorrent is updated to Stable Build 45857 on 18 feb which is newer build.You can try it.

9 hours ago, rafi said:

New beta build -  45916 , with LAA flag (updated in my sig-links).

Supposedly - should be including a new A/V for the Pro version..

Can someone please post a link to the original, signed file? Thank y

3 minutes ago, rafi said:

It's the official beta link from utorrent.com->products->Windows beta...

Thanks! I should have checked again before posting :) I tried yesterday, and it only gave me 3.5.5.45842. But today it does download 3.5.5.45916.

I have tested all the versions...

45828 - seems to work fine and allows the errors of later versions to be fixed

45838 - won't run - shows up as malware

45842 - occasional errors with associating files to their torrent files

45852 - occasional errors with associating files to their torrent files - sometimes can't be fixed

45816 - occasional errors with associating files to their torrent files - sometimes can't be fixed

45826 - ??? when I downloaded this, I got 45816

I would recommend that the programmers / coders burn all versions of Utorrent after 45828... and go to work on that version's code as the starting point.  While they are at it.. they should turn on the LAA bit so that Rafi doesn't have to take care of that for us.

If you have problems going back to a previous version.. you may have to delete or rename the .exe files of your newer versions.  It is quite sneaky, you have to shut down utorrent completely, and also be in administrator mode and then replace your current utorrent.exe with the version you want AND you might also however you might have to also delete the "backup" copy.  For instance, with version 45916, you must not only replace utorrent.exe but also in a subdirectory - delete  3.5.5_45916.exe  

I'm eagerly awaiting news about whether the GDI crash is fixed in the new beta.

The file association issue that joshace identified does happen occasionally for me, but I don't find that as annoying because it's only a couple of torrents at a time, Also it fixes itself on the next restart, and because I have to restart at least once a day because of the GDI crash, well, they aren't there to taunt me long. 

2 hours ago, icebox said:

I'm eagerly awaiting news about whether the GDI crash is fixed in the new beta.

The file association issue that joshace identified does happen occasionally for me, but I don't find that as annoying because it's only a couple of torrents at a time, Also it fixes itself on the next restart, and because I have to restart at least once a day because of the GDI crash, well, they aren't there to taunt me long. 

The fact that it happens at all is annoying.  On my computer.. it doesn't fix itself on rebooting.. I first have to rename the torrent extension to TORR (or something other than torrent) and also rename the associated file or directory, then reboot then rename them back.. and then recheck them.  That works over 90% of the time.  I had a few in the past 2 days where NOTHING brought them back to life.. the only fix I found was to go back to built 45828

1 hour ago, Bacc said:

Can someone please explain what's this torrent dissociation problem? I cannot tell from the description, and it does not seem like I have one. Maybe a screenshot or two could help. Thanks everyone! 

It's easier to describe than it is to show.  Basically, it is when you have torrents (even completed ones) in your main list, but when you click on them, nothing is shown under FILES INFO PEERS TRACKERS PIECES GRAPHS LOGGER.  Also, you cannot change the status nor stop the those torrents.  They are frozen.   There is an easy trick to see which, if any, of your torrents are affected.  Tag several, or all of the torrents in your main screen.  Do that by highlighting several of them by holding down CTRL and clicking on them  OR highlight one, and then hold shift and click on another one to highlight an entire range.  THEN right click on the range and click on LABEL.  Make up any label you want.. such as TEST.   Each torrent should then have the label of TEST.  Any that do not, have lost their association.    I currently have 7588 torrents loaded, so I probably see problems that most of you don't encounter because you don't overload your utorrent the way I do.  I like software to work no matter if I load 3 files into it.. or a billion.   For those who are hesitant to upgrade.. forget that idea.  About 8 years ago, when Utorrent would crash on me, it would take several WEEKS for it to recheck everything.  That no longer happens.  The worst crashes I've had this year took at most 2 days to clear up.  About 2 years ago, Utorrent was crashing on me every hour or so.. which was driving me mad.  At one point, it got so bad that I ditched utorrent and used other torrent clients.  I also tried Bittorrent which looks and functions exactly like Utorrent, but it is coded differently, and doesn't upload nor download nearly as fast.  If you are not using Rafi's LAA builds, you should!  Having access to more memory greatly improves performance and reduces the problems considerably.  Ideally, you should have a computer that is dedicated to torrenting, so you are not interfering with other things that are memory hogs such as Photoshop, editing multimedia, or anything to do with sound and motion video.   Most people who use computers do nothing more than send and receive text messages.   That is like owning an Indy Race Car.. and only using it to pick up groceries at the supermarket 1/4 mile away. 

I found 3 dis-associated torrents that I can't fix even with built 45828 running. 

I have run out of ideas..  other than to go back even further.  I will try that in a few hours. 

Might try installing Bittorrent.. and try to delete the 3 torrents, and re-load them.