3.5.x Beta

TylerW

Yeah, that's why you want to use the 2 mb size version without the wrapper-installer.  Just rename the small guy to utorrent.exe and overwrite the old with the new and launch it directly from its normal location [%appdata%\utorrent], it'll self-update with no fuss at all.

If you launch the  small guy from another location it will redo its [minimal] install , asking a few questions before overwriting itself, and you might loose a few settings but not many, it preserves your setup.  But it's easiest to just overwrite it yourself and avoiding any sort of install at all.

BTW, to find the small guy inside of large one, open the large one with 7zip; you'll see within a file called "carrier.exe", that's the small guy, everything else is "the installer" crap, which often offers up shareware...just extract carrier.exe, rename to utorrent.exe and do the overwrite - voila...you're updated...with all your settings intact [important if you turned off all the ads.]

I've been overwritting for years and never once seen an ad or any shareware... 

Always look for the 2 mb size, or extract it yourself from the 4mb wrapper...

• Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 9:17 AM, javacatpaul said:

I have the tool to set the LAA flag [from ntcore named 4gb_patch.exe  

I don't use any tool other than a hex editor.. I was trying to figure out how to change the checksum, but was not able to.   I assume that if the checksum is not matched, the file is often rejected as being "malware".   I just downloaded that 4gb_patch  tool.. thanks.  One thing about Checksums though.. I could be wrong, but I think there are many different ways of calculating checksums.  How does a checksum checker determine if the checksum is correct.. if calculated in a different way?

Edited by joshace
updated information

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 3:48 PM, MillerHeavy said:

Does not want to Install, and is full of shareware!

I think what you are referring to is that if you use the INSTALLER, it OFFERS you a load of shareware, all of which you can decline.   You can avoid the offers of shareware entirely by replacing just the utorrent.exe file.  I am using the LAA version of 3.5.5 build 45832 - and this is the first version that I have had NO problems with at all!  I should also mention that I have 7044 Torrents loaded into my Utorrent...

Im still running win 7 64bit, and I've had an interface crash going back several versions, still present in latest stable, I tried the LAA versions for the last two stables and problem persists.  What happens is this, after starting the program, the program loads torrents, and slowly starts them.  About 24 hours later, the interface hangs.  I say the interface, because the program is still working underneath.  I see stats change on sites every day even if I let this program to itself for 2 weeks after hanging.  I can't manage torrents, but the program still makes new connections and works in the background.  This instance of the program has about 4600 torrents, only about 1/2 of which are active, that number of torrents I've had running long before this error started. 

No clue why this is. 

1 hour ago, icebox said:

Im still running win 7 64bit, and I've had an interface crash going back several versions, still present in latest stable, I tried the LAA versions for the last two stables and problem persists.  What happens is this, after starting the program, the program loads torrents, and slowly starts them.  About 24 hours later, the interface hangs.  I say the interface, because the program is still working underneath.  I see stats change on sites every day even if I let this program to itself for 2 weeks after hanging.  I can't manage torrents, but the program still makes new connections and works in the background.  This instance of the program has about 4600 torrents, only about 1/2 of which are active, that number of torrents I've had running long before this error started. 

No clue why this is. 

Try changing / increasing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\GDIProcessHandleQuota
like to 30000.

The current version - 45852 - is the first version I can recall that has no problems at all. 

I have ONE wish though.  It would be nice if the DURATION off all videos would be revealed.  Some of them are.

I often have multiple copies of the same video in different sizes and/or different names which are the same video other than their codec / quality / name.   Revealing the DURATION of every video would go a long way to assisting me in deleting duplicates, deleting poor quality versions of videos, and deleting excessively large copies of videos. 

1 hour ago, joshace said:

I have ONE wish though.  It would be nice if the DURATION off all videos would be revealed.  Some of them are.

Enable details tabs->files->duration column ...

Also, there is no such thing as "no problems" in uTorrent...  ;)

Edited by rafi

18 hours ago, rafi said:

I do have  the duration column.. but quite often, that entry is blank. 

18 hours ago, rafi said:

I mentioned a few hours ago that I had a torrent that was showing as an error which I could not remove. 

I was finally able to remove it.. here is what I did...

I moved all the files in the folder to another location.  (This step might not have been necessary)

THEN I found the torrent file, and renamed it to have an extension of .ERROR instead of .TORRENT

Then I shut Utorrent down and started it up again.  Now it was complaining that it could not find the torrent...

I then renamed the torrent back to it's original name, shut down Utorrent, started it up again.. and everything was back to normal other than the files were gone.  I moved the files back, and did a re-check.. and everything is perfect. 

If this happens again, I will try skipping the step of moving the files to another location.

4 hours ago, joshace said:

I do have  the duration column.. but quite often, that entry is blank.

It should be fine should the duration after completion. To speed up the ability to calculate the duration, you can enable advanced->bt.prio_first_last_piece

Edited by rafi

Just noticed something in 45852...

the add torrent dialog "torrent content" area [right-side] has a "size" line that says torrent's dl size and then "(disk space:xxx)".  xxx is always 1.25 TB .  Thats a bug!  it even says 1.25 TB when it doesn't have the .torrent file yet...

just spotted that, probably been there for years, not important really but amusing...

8 hours ago, javacatpaul said:

Just noticed something in 45852...

the add torrent dialog "torrent content" area [right-side] has a "size" line that says torrent's dl size and then "(disk space:xxx)".  xxx is always 1.25 TB .  Thats a bug!  it even says 1.25 TB when it doesn't have the .torrent file yet...

just spotted that, probably been there for years, not important really but amusing...

No, it doesn't... Maybe it has "difficulties" to check your free disk size, if you are using a special network drive?

40ca9c1367391695.jpg

Edited by rafi

OK, I get it now,  it's telling me how much SPARE [FREE] SPACE is avail on that drive!  I thought it was telling me how much
space the torrent would take up in disk-space [multiples of clusters/stripes vs raw byte size].  Duh!   Maybe the caption should be "Available Disk Space"?    

Yeah, I assumed WAY too much, sorry...

On 1/10/2021 at 12:51 AM, rafi said:

Try changing / increasing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\GDIProcessHandleQuota
like to 30000.

Thanks Rafi, I wasn't able to reboot until last weekend, then went out of town for a couple of days, and it's still working now that I'm back.  So that was the solution!  Very happy to have a working current version of the program. 

7 hours ago, icebox said:

Thanks Rafi, I wasn't able to reboot until last weekend, then went out of town for a couple of days, and it's still working now that I'm back.  So that was the solution!  Very happy to have a working current version of the program. 

Good to hear. Still, it might be good to fine and fix that leak, but I guess that with that many torrents active in your client, you are just getting closer to this limit than the average user, and have triggered it sooner...

On 1/20/2021 at 11:33 PM, rafi said:

Good to hear. Still, it might be good to fine and fix that leak, but I guess that with that many torrents active in your client, you are just getting closer to this limit than the average user, and have triggered it sooner...

Update: this change solves the problem, but around 24-36 hours after a reboot, the system goes absolutely nuts its hard to describe, sometimes I can get to the task manager and kill the mozilla process (usually the largest memory user), and even if I leave utorrent active, the mania calms down.  Strange, because I've been sitting at the computer when this happens and the system is not low on memory (and there's a mozilla memory leak that does use all memory from time to time, and what happens with this crash isn't the same thing as a typical out of memory situation.  The screen flashes, the tray goes to the top of the screen (but is still clickable at the bottom), screen looses desktop background and has icons over a black background, utorrent flashes full screen even though it was windowed, and sometimes I can bring task manager to the front, and use it. Last night, it must have happened while I was asleep, as the system crashed sometime after I was last on.  So I'm going to drop the number from 30k to 20k and see what happens.  The utorrent semi-crash I had at the start was much less disruptive than the whole system crashing.  This system is rock solid otherwise,

On 1/23/2021 at 1:06 AM, rafi said:

For how many continuous hours ? What is your GDI count  ( in task manager -> details - > GDI column )

I often have my utorrent open for several days at a time.   Before LAA my utorrent was crashing every half hour. 

I currently have 7127 Torrents loaded.  downloading 80  seeding 3900   completed 7047  active 8

I'm not sure if this is what you meant..  I couldn't find a GDI column in my task manager / details

I installed a 64 bit version of a free program called GDIview and got these results.

gdi-small.jpg