µTorrent 2.0 released

Firon

When not activate - yes, it's using TCP only like 1.8.5. When activated (using TCP + uTP) - there is not enough experience with it to say. You just have to test it yourself.

Dynamic control of bandwidth per application (QoS) is not simple to do on a regular LAN. You need to have OoS support available in your router or buy a QoS software.

You can probably try setting a lower process priority in Windows for eMule.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do I get the old status icons back? Not liking the new ones, too difficult to quickly tell them apart, am very used to the old ones already.

EDIT: OK they're posted on page 2 of this thread, thanks emc! Not identical but good enough. Much easier to tell them apart from each other.

µTorrent 2.0 often hang (see example here). Is it normal?

what is your OS ? If the only thing is those messages - I think those are only for some performance related data messages for the devs. I'm sure they will delete them in one of the next releases.

Also I like old 1.8 Status Icons (like in #faq26). Where I can download it?

here:

http://www.utorrent.com/skins?order=newest&limit=20

http://www.utorrent.com/skins/index/category/status/order/newest/limit/20

and adding the RSS icons to the above faq 26 and the RSS guide will be nice too... :P

If the only thing is those messages - I think those are only for some performance related data messages for the devs. I'm sure they will delete themin one of the next releases.

Well, er, silently reporting statistics (anonymous or otherwise) wouldn't sit well with users, and would only give the tinfoil hatters one more (shallow) reason to shout "UT PHONE HOME". No reason not to just leave it there -- what needs fixing are the hangs, not the logger items. Ideally, if the hangs are fixed, the user wouldn't see the logger messages in the first place. And if the user feels like being more proactive about reporting the hangs (by reporting here or on IRC... or email), they have a bit of information to tie together with their report :)

@nemoW: I wouldn't say having that many logger messages about hangs is "normal", but it's to be expected if the UI really is hanging that often. Which it shouldn't be. If the reports are doing their job, then they should hopefully give the devs a bit of insight into what's causing the hangs in the first place (or where the hangs are occurring anyway).

If you wish to report the hangs more formally, you can create a separate bug report thread and explain what you were doing when you experienced the hang (if you actually observed it anyway). And process lists might also be helpful.

I agree, it would not sit well. And... there are "standard" ways to do reporting in an official release - with some dialog asking the user permission ;P

that being said, I rather see such messages than hide the fact... and surely - a proper place for such multiple info messages is in a alpha/beta/RC and not in a release at all since we assume such issues were surely ironed out ....

A majority of desktop users use windows yet that has Microsoft customer experience improvement program off by default. Microsoft doesn't seem to be getting people with pitchforks hunting them down. So why not have a similar thing off by default.

With utorrent 2.0 i'm now stuck @ 90% of my connection possibility.

With the old 1.8.5 version, I could have taken 1.3MB/s of download speed on a single torrent.

I'm now leeching @ 990kB/s at best.

Is that a known fact that 2.0 new uTP protocol reduce the effective bandwidth available to the user?

I suppose I should report back what happened after I tried the latest public (I guess) 2.0 build (well, it's the auto-update one).

So basically, what happened was the fact that while none of my torrents seemed to get to my top speed (100 kb/s - blame living on a small town in Brazil for that), but they got to an acceptable download speed really fast whenever I started them (unlike 1.85, where they usually take 10 or so second to connect to some seeds, and then slowly accelerate). The problem I had was the fact that it kinda constantly crashed my router (a poor little D-Link 500B), which required either a physical restart of it or waiting a random amount of time. That didn't happen with 1.8.5 (which also didn't have problems reaching and staying at my top download speed), so I went back. Seeing how lazy I am to mess around with the configuration of everything, I probably won't go back to 2.0 for some time, I guess.

By the way, thank you guys for the fast answers, but I believe I can keep using 1.8.5 a bit longer.

Archived