uTorrent v2.x/3.x - Best Practice Tips

rafi

• 2 weeks later...
Which version - 3.01 or 3.1 ? on what OS ? And what is "A lot" ? :)

Utorrent 3.0 Build 25824

Windows XP

Whenever I download something the memory keeps increasing, and when it starts to upload it increases even faster. This happens whenever I download anything over 3gb or so. Yesterday I noticed it was using 1,544,000k of memory before it crashed.

I get that "Some software on your computer prevents utorrent from working properly. This is possibly caused by the following DLLs" error as well.

I made a thread about all this here here but to no avail.

Sorry to hear that. Did you remember to limit the cache size ? Actually, I am sure 3.x has a few issues with cache handling, including overflow, that are now being attended to in 3.1 (the GUI is not yet stable to say the least... ), but your issue sounds more like either GUI related memory leak, or bad interaction with some other program. Make sure you set an exception for uTorrent in all your firewalls/AVs including Windows'.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=622260#p622260

Edited by rafi

RAFI thank you so much dude! I have tried many solutions as seen in this forum and none worked! A deeper search took me to this topic and voilá! I just followed B[1,2,3] and it tottaly worked for me.

My problems started when i formated my pc. I was using win7 ultimate 32bits. New install with win 7 ultimate 32 bits, but slightly diferent version. I was having lots of peaks and oscillating speed. My web surfing was also very slow each time utorrent was dowloading (at very low speed).

Its all good now, downloading at 1000kb/s ! ; )

TY

Great! Thanks for sharing your experience. I just wonder why anything was change from the previous OS. uTorrent itself should not have been effected at all, since there is no need to even re-"install" it... Just run it as is.

Edited by rafi

You better make sure you test with both speedtest.net and a good test torrent like ubuntu - http://releases.ubuntu.com/11.10/ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso.torrent . There are many variables/factors that can effect you - yours, your ISP's and the Internet sources ...

Not all are in my tips-guide... :)

Edited by rafi

Dude rafi, you are a genius!! Ever since I upgraded to version 3 of utorrent, I was having problems with the speed fluctuating and my browsing speed being VERY slow. Once I applied your setting to version 3.1, it's been smooth sailing for the most part. A lot better than what it used to be. I had a few quick questions though: 1. Why is the bandwidth management enabled by default? Is that mostly used for improving the browsing speed while downloading with utorrent? 2. In the Global rate limit options, both 'apply rate limit to transport overhead' and 'apply rate limit to uTP connections' are checked. What are those intended to do? Thanks again for taking the time to put together this usefull guide, appreciate it.

Great, tho I should put a 3.1 specipic setting file...

1. That is just a funny name for enabling the faster uTP protocol, that is now used between most uTorrent clients

2. That means that the upload rate limit set in your pref.->bandwidth will be fully obeyed, and limit ALL upload traffic, so to have the most download speed

Edited by rafi

A. For fixing CPU-load/memory-issues/stability:

[3] Win7 users might experience uTorrent process not closing properly.

It is suspected to be caused by a Microsoft IPV6 issue. Those command lines can assist by disabling IPV6 in your system:

netsh int 6to4 set state disabled

netsh int teredo set state disabled

Can you explain further where this can be done? Is it just a run command?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I HAVE DOWNLOADED THE UTORRENT 3 VER. AND LOOKED IN THE DIR AND DONT SEE A DAT FILE TO REPLACE..JUST THE EXE FILE??? IAM ALSO NEW TO TORRENT DOWNLOADS AND RUNNING WIN7 WITH HUGHES NET ISP I DONT FULLY UNDERSTAND THE THROTTLING BUT WILL ASK IF YOU THINK HUGHES NET DOES THIS.I ALSO DONT FULLY UNDERSTAND HOW TO SET UP PROXY WITH PORTS.

thanx,

DOC:/

Hey Rafi, is it possible to post a changelog to what you added/removed or updated to your settings on the frontpage? That way people like myself can see if you maybe updated some settings in the 'settings.dat' file or changed something else within the program settings. I just always like knowing what new thinkgs were added/removed/changed. Thanks again for putting this guide together, helped me understand a lot of things and get my speed back up to where it was before! :)

I am running UT 3.1 and I read through the tips at the beginning of this sticky.

i can't find a settings.dat file anywhere on my computer.

The C:\program files(x86)\utorrent directory only contains utorrent.exe.

I searched for settings.dat and then I searched for utorrent but didn't turn up any new files or directories.