uTorrent v2.x/3.x - Best Practice Tips

rafi

• 2 months later...

New RSS related tip - added:

M. Smartly using of the RSS auto-downloader - avoid rar-fake torrents

You will, however, disable downloads of all torrents including rar files!!

Edited by rafi

[4] Win7 users might experience uTorrent process not closing properly.

It is suspected to be caused by a Microsoft IPV6 issue. Those command lines can assist by disabling IPV6 in your system:

In Windows - go Start->run->cmd, and enter those two commands:

netsh int 6to4 set state disabled

netsh int teredo set state disabled

ATTENTION: these commands will disable IPV6/teredo. You might need it for other applications.

Hi. There are no open issues needing to be resolved with IPv6 on Microsoft's end. I just wanted to mention this because Homegroup sharing depends on IPv6 in Windows 7 and Windows 8. It is true however, that certain routers do not handle it very well. For that, it is always advisable to install the latest firmware to the router.

It seems like a good idea to add a mention of Homegroup to the "other applications" comment above, as it is fairly prevalent amongst non-skilled Windows users.

Hi Rafi. Your example settings.dat file link is not working. Kindly update it. Thank you so much!

Works for me. What link do you see and what error message do you get ? Maybe some browser cache issues.

All links are on Google Drive.

Edited by rafi

Hi Rafi. Your example settings.dat file link is not working. Kindly update it. Thank you so much!

Works for me. What link do you see and what error message do you get ? Maybe some browser cache issues.

All links are on Google Drive.

When I click on the link a new page opens, with gibberish on it.

You might have better results if you disabled TCP, since TCP is regulated based on uTP data but not perfectly compared to letting uTP streams regulate themselves. I had very good results running in uTP only mode in the 1.9 days.

Hmm if only uTP would you set the bt.transp_disposition to 26 opposed to the default of 31?

Seem like bt.transp_disposition 29 is the best option for throttled connections...

My university throttles uTorrent, with bt.transp_disposition 31, I cant even connect to peers

I set it to 29 or 5 and everything works well...

Also disabling bt.tcp_rate_control bump my download speed up to 50%