µTorrent 3.2.1 stable (build 28086)

AdamK

torrents have gone *POOF!* sad

Torrents are mostly files' date=' and do not go POOF from the HD. You can always try and auto-load them.[/quote']

Ugh, catching me out on my wording... You know what I mean.

The list of torrents have gone. Hopefully the torrent files are saved as to reload them back in.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After I uploaded to 3.2.1 build 27718' date=' there have been at least 2 times that uTorrent has run a re-check on all my not-finished torrents when I have turned on my pc and started uTorrent.[/quote']

Did you allow uTorrent to close and fully remove itself from memory before turning off the computer?

If the shutdown process interrupted uTorrent before it finished writing all changes to its configuration files, it's possible that resume.dat (not 100% sure which file controls this) was not updated properly, forcing uTorrent to recheck these torrents, ensuring that the pieces are actually where it thinks they are.

No, I did what I usually do, just clicked the "Shut down" button in Windows 7. I agree with you though, I think that this is the most likely reason it happened. Since I have some large torrents running a.t.m, I went back to stable uTorrent 3.2 build 27708 for now. However, later I will experiment with the 3.2.1 beta, trying both options

a) exit uTorrent, then "Shut down" Windows and

B) just "Shut down" Windows

Did you allow uTorrent to close and fully remove itself from memory before turning off the computer?

And how should he answer that? Is there a popup "uTorrent has shutdown successfully" ? ;)

Maybe that's a good idea? Well' date=' the opposite, that is..

uTorrent could open a popup (similar to Windows) if it discover that the last session did [b']not shutdown properly. Then we could get a choice between

[start uTorrent normally] - default choice, with a 10 sec time-out

and

[start uTorrent, but block re-checking of torrents (this session only)]

:cool:

torrents have gone *POOF!* sad

Torrents are mostly files' date=' and do not go POOF from the HD. You can always try and auto-load them.[/quote']

Ugh, catching me out on my wording... You know what I mean.

The list of torrents have gone. Hopefully the torrent files are saved as to reload them back in.

1. POOF is fine. I understood what you meant.

2. I have a resume.dat.old but it is 2 minutes older than resume.dat. I also have a resume.dat in a utorrent backup folder from 5/23/11. Is there a way to merge what is in those two files?

3. How would I go about "autoloading" old torrents? FYI, I have often saved them to locations other than the default location that is referenced in the Preferences-Directories.

4. I have a folder \utorrent\resume_dir with 763 *.dat files. A quick look at these files in wordpad seems to show they have torrent information in them. Can I use those to reload somehow?

1. Torrents are files saved for reloading back into the client. I was only referring to torrents only as what was listed in your client. The actual torrent files should still be there for you to reload back into your list.

2.For merging data you want to download BEncode via (Item > Merge With...).

Would pay to read up a bit on it before using it, as always back up what you already have before playing.

3.You'll need to move or copy all your torrents together under the one directory. (Preferences > Directories > Automatically load .torrents from) and select that directory.

4.You should be able to merge those in using BEncode.

@rafi: uchi seemed to understand what I was getting at, which is all that matters. ;)

I've seen behavior like that happen with other applications, where something got corrupted because Windows did not permit the program to exit gracefully and complete all the methods it goes through when the process ends. That's why I suggested it as a possible cause.

• 3 weeks later...
-- 2012-09-13: Version 3.2.1 Beta 3 (build 27941)

- Fix: don't execute commands on background/hidden torrents (for instance in the add torrent dialog)

- Fix: torrent order issue with magnet links

- Fix: multi-file magnet links are now correctly downloaded into a directory with the torrent's name

- Fix: "add at top of queue" checkbox now works for magnet links

- Feature: don't use a consistent peer-id (to mitigate tracking)

- Fix: On slow connections, the toolbar offer might arrive after the user had

checked or unchecked boxes on the offer page. That would cause the

checkboxes to be reset to the default state, incorrectly installing an

offer.

- Feature: never try a tracker again if it returns status code 410

- Change: add tracker.ccc.de as a default tracker

- Fix: don't write the block list in a part file in 4-byte increments

-- 2012-08-08: Version 3.2.1 Beta 2 (build 27718)

- New layout of the Add Torrent Dialog

- Feature: never try a tracker again if it returns status code 410

- Change: add tracker.ccc.de as a default tracker

- Fix: don't write the block list in a part file in 4-byte increments

? :/

Using win8, I am not sure if win7 also have this toggle issue or not

1.open utorrent and pinned this program to taskbar

2.Under UI setting, enable "always show tray icon"

3.then minimize utorrent using the "-"button, and then double clicks on tray icons and this will disable the pinned utorrent icon on the task bar

4.I can no longer use the pinned icon unless I double click the tray icon.

I've seen behavior like that happen with other applications, where something got corrupted because Windows did not permit the program to exit gracefully

I know, I've see it too. Just that it is up to the application to respond to Windows close signal. If it does not - Windows waits. You can *tell* it now to force it down... So, it is up to you / the app to behave as expected, not Windows (at least with Win7).

3.then minimize utorrent using the "-"button, and then double clicks on tray icons and this will disable the pinned utorrent icon on the task bar

Seems to work fine on Win7. I guess the devs should confirm it on Win8.

I should clarify 3 & 4 here.

3.minimize utorrent using the "-"button, and then double clicks on tray icons and this will deactivate the pinned utorrent icon on the task bar (when I double click on the pinned icon on taskbar, utorrent has no respond.)

4.I have to double click on the tray icon to "activate" the program.

btw, a typo in UI settings. Under "System tray" it has "minimize minimizes uT to tray"

bug #2 not fixed in µTorrent 3.2.1.27941 Beta 3... :mad:

but thank you for fixing bug #1 :cool:

not fixed in µTorrent 3.2.1.27718 Beta 1,
1. 'new' bug:

torrent downloaded from magnet won't get the "#" (order number) in torrent list,

restarting uTorrent fixes this,

it didn't occur when you won't wait for torrent information and manually start magnet,

it happens only when you wait for torrent information;

this can be fixed by simply adding "#" (order number) to all mangets

2. old bug:

adding magnet and not waiting for downloading torrent information,

next manually start magnet will download torrent,

when torrent will be downloaded, uT will automatically download all files in this torrent

occurring in latest stable µTorrent 3.2.27568

was fixed in µTorrent 3.2.1.27554 Beta 1

regressed in µTorrent 3.2.1.27605 Beta 1

FYI -

"Start torrent" under "Torrent Options" in "Add New Torrent" prompt is disabled

"Don't start the download automatically" under "UI Settings" in "Preferences" is enabled

I'm recommending for magnets:

-user won't wait for torrent information and want to add just only a magnet,

will result in adding only a magnet in stooped state,

when user will start this magnet, it will download torrent and prompt user with "Add New Torrent" window, like in Tixati and bloat Vuze

-user wait for torrent information - works good, nothing to change here,

but we need some more user attention there, so user will wait calmly for torrent info,

coloring and making bigger these animated arrows near "Waiting for Torrent Information" is a good idea, what you think?

I cant remember what build the last Beta was before this one, but for some reason my files are sent to the wrong directory?

I havent changed anything for years, the standard download dir is c:\downloads\temp downloads\

But the files end up in c:\downloads\..

I have not set a completed downloads directory.

Could it be that the new beta doesn't like the space in the name of the directory?

It makes no sense that its putting the files in a directory not specified anywhere in utorrent :)

bug #2 not fixed

I don't see much difference between waiting inside the Add dialogue, or wait till it'll pop-up this dialog later on when you want to skip files. The only use-case it does makes sense - is when you do not use the "Add" dialog at all. In this case I'd have done it differently:

1. if a user auto-start new magnet-torrents - all files will be downloaded

2. if the user add magnets in a "stopped" state - I should always auto-retrieve the meta-data (showing some "waiting" status/icon), and then auto-stop it. At this time the user can select files to skip, or press start .

And making the wait-animation more visible/bigger - is always good...

bug #2 not fixed

I don't see much difference between waiting inside the Add dialogue' date=' or wait till it'll pop-up this dialog later on when you want to skip files. The only use-case it does makes sense - is when you do not use the "Add" dialog at all. In this case I'd have done it differently:

1. if a user auto-start new magnet-torrents - all files will be downloaded

2. if the user add magnets in a "stopped" state - I should always auto-retrieve the meta-data (showing some "waiting" status/icon), and then auto-stop it. At this time the user can select files to skip, or press start .

And making the wait-animation more visible/bigger - is always good...[/quote']

The main reason is that this Add dialogue didn't pop-up later, so adding manget without waiting for µTorrent to download torrent will result in downloading all files in this torrent without any prompt or option to select files.

It's unacceptable. Every time you ended downloading a manget should result in pop-up'ing the Add dialogue to have chance to select files like in other clients fully supporting magnet.

That's some of the main reason I migrate to Tixati for example.

It's unacceptable.

And why didn't you use the "add" dialogue? As I said above there is only one use-case that I agree, justifies auto-stopping for selection . Using the "add" dialogue for it or just the files tab - doesn't matter much.

Oh btw, there is this Magrent add-on to FF that overcomes all of this... converts magnets to .torrents ...:P

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/magrent/?src=cb-dl-updated

So, are you coming back ?... :)

Using latest beta 27950. Clicked magnet link and waited for files to load into window so as to choose which files I wanted. This seemed to take much longer than it did on previous build, but may just have been that it was a fairly old file, however, I choose a magnet link for another file and it just kept going round, the files didn't come up in a window until my first file had fully downloaded, which was around 30mins later. I don't normally do more than I file at a time, so don't really know if this is an issue with utorrent or an issue with my comp or settings. Is anyone else getting this problem? Posted this here as felt relevant as using the latest beta, apologies if I should have posted elsewhere.

Thank you dev team for finally fixing this annoying issue :cool:

[FIXED] Deleting selected torrents moves highlight on random torrents

don't know in which build, but it not happens anymore. :P

It's unacceptable.

And why didn't you use the "add" dialogue? As I said above there is only one use-case that I agree' date=' justifies auto-stopping for selection . Using the "add" dialogue for it or just the files tab - doesn't matter much.[/quote']

I use "Add New Torrent" dialogue. It opens after Firefox lunch µTorrent to deal with magnet.

But why it matters so high for me.

Firstly, imagine the magnet have very few seeds and peers. This will result in very long torrent downloading. Not everyone will waste time looking on these spinning arrows and waiting for torrent download. So they click OK and they will be waiting for prompt and file selection, when download of the torrent will be complete. Too bad they won't see this...

Secondly, downloading magnets in most cases is slow compared to simple torrent downloading from the server. In this case ppl will also behave like in first one.

Thirdly, it's probably also a pain for users with slow network.

Fourthly, imagine that you want to add some amount of magnets in offline mode. Net go down for some minutes or hours, but you still have website open. You can add your magnets to µTorrent, because they are "cached" in some way in browser. OK, Looks good. You added about 10-20 magnets to µTorrent and in some time net goes up and it's fully operational, so µTorrent start working. It will download torrents, but it won't prompt you for file selection. It will download all files in torrent. People with enabled pre-allocated files (it's default setting, or at least it was) or with not too much free space on HDD/SSD/default selected download partition won't be happy...

Fifthly, because current behavior is unacceptable/bad/wrong/etc.

Sixthly, why not? :D

[Oh btw, there is this Magrent add-on to FF that overcomes all of this... converts magnets to .torrents ...:P

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/magrent/?src=cb-dl-updated

So, are you coming back ?... :)

It probably won't work when you're offline, so not if this won't be fixed. But I'm monitoring and still testing µTorrent ;)

Archived