A proposed new main-screen GUI for uT 1.6.x . What do YOU think ?

rafi

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@DonGato: The choice will be there to choose between the current and that new interface. Don't like it? Pick columns UI instead, you'll get all the information you want. You prefer more information. Other people prefer minimal information.

Are you sure ? I didn't here this from ludde, but the oposite...

it is difficult to help people with doing somethen when not everyone is using the same interface, people asking for alternate sorting for example, when it only works in the "classic" interface and are using the new one (if it becomes an option), and -1 to the design since it looks like the original bittorrent, and it sucks :P

sometimes u have to approve features that u wont use (i dont use RSS but it's good to be there, i didnt need encryption but it got there, consequently i got need of it.. i dont need a speed wizard but it's good to have one for the noobs..) i probably wont use that new interface so much but i'm sure there are people who will.. maybe i will use it from time to time for a change..

I prefer the current "quick overview" by a lot. I thought µTorrent was about non-bloating, and such a graphical interface is far in the land of bloatiness, IMO.

Simple, effective, test-based overview. It works, it's very easy to understand, and it takes practically no resources :)

Tomorrow will appear another feature, the day after tomorrow another one, and so on...

Let's vote for them all, guys, adding them (even as options) and bring this fantastic client down to it's knees by making it far bloated than Azureus.

Cool, isn't?

rafi, it was "nah fuck that, -1" before, that's the change:

Harry Poppins: I think it's a good idea, I wouldn't use that interface myself, but it would be great for newbies.

phaelox: I can see how a simpler interface would be useful for some people, I prefer copious information myself.

00: This would be useful for newbie users. All the info they need and nothing else. Good idea. (But I will still be using the old interface.)

and btw rafi, isn't this a discussion? i can post a couple of times :) that's not voting..

Tomorrow will appear another feature, the day after tomorrow another one, and so on...

Let's vote for them all, guys, adding them (even as options) and bring this fantastic client down to it's knees by making it far bloated than Azureus.

Cool, isn't?

QFT - what's wrong with a minimal client. Last I heard, how the progress is displayed doesn't affect the speed or the quality of the download/seeding, and AFAIK, µTorrent is quite usable.

But please, while you're at it at a MSO-clone ;)

Cool, isn't?

nah, utorrent will not become bloat that is almost granted, what i fear is it being so full with too many options that it will stop being the great and intuitive app it is today

Regardless of what I think of it's usefulness, here are some comments on the actual design of the GUI that might make it better:

1) 6-8 torrents per screen is too few. Make the fonts/spaces between lines - smaller (fit more items in one screen)

2) use smaller icons .

3) try use only two lines of text . status may be ON/near/under the "type" l icon, or just delete the status and replace the 'type' icon with status icon.

4) delete redundant data items (completed DLed size - is displayed twice)

5) avoid overlapping texts when resizing the window (or pane)

6) fix problems with strange scrolling behavior (probably already known )

7) think of a way to make it possible to sort somehow (right click, view->sort menu...)

good luck!

BTW - I like it that on this new interface the periodic refresh of the screen is much smoother and less jumpy (cannot see any wavy/scrolling like effect).

Archived