What BT client did you switch from?

iceshake

I started out with...

Mainline (official)

Shadow's experimental

BitTornado: all the way up to 0.3.11 python 2.3 (the new versions were plagued by the undead process)

Getright!: never really new if it worked or not... just tested it because I have getright as the download manager and it just opened my Torrent file one day after I uninstalled BitTornado

BitComet kinda locked up resources so.. out it went

Utorrent: nothing better out there

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shareaza > Azureus > Bit Spirit > Utorrent

I really like Bit Spirit a lot, but Utorrent is what I am now using, due to lean and clean and small size. Bit Spirit actually gets me faster download on my ADSL with Anti-Freeze active, but Utorrent is just so cool I don't mind the moderately slower downloads.

Basically I tried them all, well most (except BitLord, Shareaza, BitSpirit)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_clients

Now I use these

BitTornado (good old workhorse, if DHT needs to be avoided at all cost the successor of old Shadows can be recommended)

Azureus (still my standard client, gives me full control, kick/ban IP function is very handy when I'm uploading), yup it uses more RAM/CPU...but I'm not a gamer so it runs fine even on my crappy Celeron 900

µTorrent (been using it for 2 weeks for up/downloading, still needs some tweaking (and kick/ban IP feature), has the potential of being my standard client

Also: you don't have to use 1 client, I'm not a "fanboy" of any client

BitTorrent >> BitTornado (nice name) >> Azureus >> BitComet (I really liked this one and used it for several months until I heard about its "statistics abuse") >> G3 Torrent >> uTorrent. I have only used it for 2 days but it looks very solid and fast. The interface is nice too. Actually I can't think och one single thing to complain about. Good job!

• 1 year later...

I used to use Bitlord until I found out that it was as someone else put it 'the bastard child of BitComet' am currently using BitComet and have just installed utorrent. Can I just ask what the hell distributed hash tables are all about cos people seem to dislike them and i dont understand why. As far as im concerned they speed up my download a lot. Also could you treat me as retarded (but not too retarded) in your explanation. Thanks

ps can someone explain to me what makes utorrent better than bitcomet. i want to weigh them both up before choosing one.

1. BitTornado

2. BitSpirit (don't agree, has nice gui, but needs to be setup properly)

3. Tomato torrent OsX(Orginal BitTorrent client for mac with native gui, nice but slow)

4. Transmission OsX Very nice, fast and reliable, dead unfortunetally.

5. ---> uTorrent <--- (back to Windooze)

Quick story about uTorrent: I didn't want to use it, have heard something about spyware or other crap, after quick search it turned out to be a pile bullshit. Downloaded, checked it out -> :) <- and IMHO the best Torrent client out there.

My client history goes...

BitTorrent

Azereus

BitTorrent

BitComet

BitTorrent

ABC

BitTorrent

BitTornado

BitTorrent

BitSpirit

BitTorrent

µTorrent

As you can see I always ended going back to the original, as it was the only client that wouldn't crash on me... until the wondorous µTorrent that is. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Archived