Average waste( kB/ MB ) per torrent?

Inacurate

Maybe I just didn't think about it all that much with BitTornado, or the number just "seems" like a lot more with µTorrent, but how much on average is waste here?

I got one torrent that is 1.66GB with 34MB waste, is that normal? I don't recall BitTornado ever being that high, though it does display it in kB and I might just be downplaying that number or something.

Just looking for what other people have noticed. :)

Inac

i have only ever had 2/3 hash fails and that was when i previewed a video fle with vlc and for some unknown reason caused the download to error. as for wasted data i never even look at it as it doesnt bother me. so long as i have the working file at the end im happy.

I think maybe VLC writes a header to the avi file so it can play it, but therefore making it different to what it is supposed to be? For example if you've downlaoded 5 mins of a 60 mins video, the header for the 5 mins "preview" would be different thatn the original header, because I think thats how AVI's work.

*THIS POST IS JUST SPECULATION :P*

• 1 month later...
I am downloading a 8.89Gb torrent on dialup. About 10% (give or take a %) ends up being wasted. I don't get hashfails. But it is a bit of a pain though. Is there anyway to reduce this amount?

You could probably reduce the max connections allowed and kick the 'bad' connections so you're getting each chunk typically from a single peer. It's only when multiple peers try to feed you the same chunk that you get duplicate parts. Fewer peers, fewer chances of that.

And on dial-up, just maintaining a connection with someone eats a bit of all your bandwidth -- so you might as well be connected only with the good peers+seeds!

Also, turn off DHT unless the torrent is poorly seeded or lacks peers. That too eats bandwidth for little return.

I think maybe VLC writes a header to the avi file so it can play it, but therefore making it different to what it is supposed to be? For example if you've downlaoded 5 mins of a 60 mins video, the header for the 5 mins "preview" would be different thatn the original header, because I think thats how AVI's work.

I'm pretty sure that VLC doesn't edit AVI files, but like you, I could be wrong. :) It just doesn't seem right to me that a video player would alter them. (It wouldn't surprise me if it was copying to a temp dir and editing that, though.)

AVI = Audio/Video Interleave. You can read more about the format's intricacies here, but basically VLC tries to play videos even without headers (which specify codec information), because libavcodec (the library VLC uses to play videos) is "smart". :P At least that's what I remember. :)

I am downloading a 8.89Gb torrent on dialup. About 10% (give or take a %) ends up being wasted. I don't get hashfails. But it is a bit of a pain though. Is there anyway to reduce this amount?

Given that you're on dialup, your problem could be inherent from dialup itself. You can't really upload or download at decent speeds, so a lot of clients might snub you without finishing the piece that it was sending. In the case of that happening, all the data it was sending you before it snubbed you might be wasted. As I've said time and again, dialup is the wrong connection to be using peer-to-peer protocols on, especially BitTorrent. They require that you give back when you take, and dialup bandwidth is so laughable that it can barely do one without even starting to mention doing both at the same time.

Average waste AND errors goes up for torrents with lots of BitComet and µTorrent clients on them that are configured more "leech-like" (ie: lots of uploads at once but only 1-5 KB/sec total upload bandwidth to share between them.)

Banning ips that appear to be doing this will no doubt reduce waste and errors.

• 2 years later...

Archived