Downloaded file won't play in Windows Media Player

ucfcasey

a) this is not an on-topic question, unless your download got corrupted by µTorrent. Please use tracker-forums for such question.

B) don't talk about what you downloaded, unless it is legal. (I'm not familiar with legaly downloading [details removed for content] episodes)

c) it is most likely a codec problem. Look in the filename of what you downloaded. Usually, the video-codec is mentioned (DIVX, XVID). Google for the codec or download something like the K-Lite-Codec-pack, which includes multiple codecs that should play nearly everything.

The K-Lite codec pack is a pile of steaming horse feces. You're MUCH better off using GSpot to find out what codec it uses and then installing the appropriate codec. In the case of XviD, go to here, and in the case of DivX, go here. For other codecs such as WMV9 or 3viX, searching on Google does a lot more good than getting a codec packs. Being a fansubber, I can attest that codec packs cause more playback issues than the convenience that they provide, simply because codec packs are not updated nearly as much as they should be, causing differences in decoding. This usually results in obvious visual artifacts such as severe blocking, distorted video, and occasionally causing the video to lag.

FFDShow, VLC, MPlayer, and other players built from the libavcodec library aren't as bad, but they still suffer a disadvantage. libavcodec usually isn't the library used to encode the video, which means when it's decoded, there may be slight artifacts. This difference is greatly amplified if you don't use an updated version of the program or codec pack (FFDShow/libavcodec is a codec pack in all respects that I care about, so please do not try to convince me otherwise. Many have tried and all have failed).

If despite all these major concerns you still wish to use a codec pack, please, PLEASE, PLEASE make sure it's fully updated. I've seen too many occurences of people complaining about video artifacts when they're using outdated codecs.

@Silverfire: K-Lite has been quite improved lately. Off all codecs-packs, it is one of the most mature and it is updated very regularly. Depending on what options you choose and which version you download, FFDShow (cvs-build), Windows Media Player Classic and GSpot are included.

For noobs, this is just one of the best options. Well, except the configuration at the install is quite confusing because of all of the options, though some default profiles exist.

Believe it or not, but the MAJORITY of people will never update codecs. Googling is already a lot to ask.

The K-Lite codec pack is a pile of steaming horse feces. You're MUCH better off using GSpot to find out what codec it uses and then installing the appropriate codec.

Agreed. Although if you haven't sorted out the problem yourself I assume you're not familiar with codecs... probably installing VLC is the way to go. It plays almost everything 'out-of-the-box', is free, and works on many operating systems.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

silverfire is right...basically every codec pack is overkill (unless you would selectively install...but then why would you need a "pack"?)

The less codecs you have istalled, the better for your system

Get GSpot or MediaInfo, check what you really need and get just that

This is the best advice I can give you

-DG

CCCP is a piece of shit. It has outdated everything and a bunch of crappy settings.

I still stand by using ffdshow, and silverfire's claim that using libavcodec will give you extra artifacts is just FUD. :P

MPC + ffdshow will play just 'bout everything. (ps: I HATE VLC)

ffdshow. Thread over.

1. Codec packs are horrible

2. VLC is a great way to open certain media without having to install additional codecs

3. QuickTime- and Real-Alternative are great... er... alternatives.

I've also heard some good things from the "minimalist" Defiler codec pack, though hearing the "pack" attatched to "codec" is enough to make me not bother.

CCCP is a piece of shit. It has outdated everything and a bunch of crappy settings.

I still stand by using ffdshow, and silverfire's claim that using libavcodec will give you extra artifacts is just FUD. :P

MPC + ffdshow will play just 'bout everything. (ps: I HATE VLC)

Maybe you should make another one then, and maybe I havn't ventured far enough into the video world, but everything I've ever tried to watch, anime & movie wise has played fine..

Looks good, sounds good, I don't even know what settings I'd need to mess with within it.

I am open for suggestion though, so I plan on trying FFDSHOW, or whatever it was called.

I just found a nice filter torrent:

http://www.rpguru.com/torrents/%5BAnimeSuki%5D_Anime_Playback_Components.torrent

It contains these filters:

# Haali's Matroska Splitter

# ffdshow (2005/11/09 build)

# ffdshow's Settings Registry File

# WMV9VCM

# CoreVorbis

# VSFilter

For information, go to AnimeSuki's playback page:

http://animesuki.com/doc.php/help/playback.html

Archived