So, what's next for µTorrent?

eisa01

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kurahashi, if you have your upload slots capped at 8, and you run 10 torrents, that means that doing things your way would make you not upload *at all* on at least 2 of the torrents. That's pure leeching, and it'll not only hurt your speeds on those torrents, but it's just plain wrong.

Once again I'm pointing at my original feature request post http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=6446

Quote from it: "with one restriction though - number of global upload slots must not be lesser than max number of active torrents"

So as you can see, I thought about it too.

You shouldn't need to tweak the number of upload slots at all after you decide on an initial setting is the point. You set don't count slow uploads/downloads and set the max number of active torrents; that's all. That effectively does set a cap on global upload slots. Your problem seems to be that you simply have your max active torrents set too high and want uTorrent to work around you doing things wrong.

No, it's not solution.

I'd ask you an example question: let's say I have 32kB available upload, I'd like to effectively upload average 3-4kB/s per slot - because lower generates too big overhead (and I suppose is not too welcomed by remote peers - do you like transfers lower than 3-4 kB/s per connection when you're downloading something? because I don't) on the other hand higher gives me lower download rates (less upload slots)

Can I achieve such config on uTorrent now? Sadly, the answer is no.

What you proposing me is workaround, which doesn't solve the problem. What is the exact speed when uTorrent qualifies it as slow and consequently discards then? Its hardcoded, right? But even if it would be allowed for users to tweak it, why going in roundabout way and simply not implement global upload slots?

BitComet's upload slot control doesn't really work fyi

If you say so. In that case it is another area where uTorrent has great chance to better than Bitcomet :)

One click peer blocking. Or "click and send IP" to PeerGuardian for blocking.

I have read a few threads here but didn't see any technical reasons for not having this feature. Can someone PM me a link please so as not to clutter this thread. Thanks

- Optional columns for all commonly used settings, like Bandwidth Allocation (as requested by some members)

I have thought about that one more than once, also perhaps columns for number of slots and seeding goal. Also, it'd be nice if you could select properties for multiple items, obviously certian fields like tracker would be greyed out, but, if I could modify properties and change the seeding properties to 1:1 instead of 2:1(my default) or turn on/off DHT/PEX for multiple items instead of having to choose item after item and modify them separately. :) I guess i've given up hope on Az DHT. Whats the problem with UDP and SSL tracker support though?

-Mag

I really hope the next step is to fix the superseeding bug and along with that, make it more robust like Bittornado's algorithm. I'm an uploader for many sites and superseeding is a necessity. Unfortunately, I have to go with ABC if I want to upload.

I agree, super-seeding needs an overhaul.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I would like to see µtorrent to Linux and I do not think that the Linux community are against closed source software, as long as it sticks to standards (what I think µtorrent does).

So the only problem is if someone in the µtorrent develop team has the time to make a Linux/*nix client, and maybe it would be a good idea if they was running Linux :)

PS Transmission is an OK client, but is still in early development and lack a lot of features

I think porting over to the Mac should be next' date=' since I've already moved everything else over to my new Mac :)[/quote']

Yes, this would be great, as there exist no proper BT client for macs.

You can say the same thing for Linux... the only decent thing is Azureus, which as everyone knows, is not the ideal solution.

I think that Mac has better alternatives than Linux does since I can't even find a bittorrent client that has queues apart from Azureus :S Transmission and Tomato do, and they look a lot better too ;)

WINE doesn't seem to work well, but bootcamp will work great as a temporary solution so... I vote Linux getting priority in that department ;)

Archived