Anyone still using other clients?

amai_heian

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have both BitComet and uTorrent installed and running . I try them both on similar files (about 4-6 months old, 40-60 seeds), and get faster downloads (~30% less time) with BitComet . I believe is has to do with:

* Some issues in V 1.2 (may be DHT related)

* More/better DHT sources in BitComet

* Inter- peer data exchange that is only in BitComet

So, for now - it is BitComet for me, but I keep monitoring uT progress.

When it will become more mature - feature wise and speed wise - I'll make the switch!

I love it, except for two details:

- It lacks proper disk-caching. This is a killer when downloading at 800+KB/s, I can't do anything hard drive intensive at the same time.

- The annoying creation of files marked as 'Don't download' (Yes, I know that by using sparse files this can be avoided. It's still a bug. BC does it correctly.)

Until this two issues are fixed, I'll stick with BitComet. (Will change in a heartbeat when they are.)

Bump up diskio.write_queue_size manually to solve the first. :P

i uninstalled Azureus a few days ago, µTorrent is now the only BT client on my PC.

It seems to be gaining a lot of popularity and respect, and i am sure that by the time it matures, it will defently become very popular.

i am a casual downloader, and features such as super-seeding mean nothing to me (i don't know what they are, nor do i care at this point)

It all depends on what im trying to do. If im seeding or i need to host something on a personal tracker for friends to dl from, then i tend to use azureus from linux, mainly because the features/options are there for doing that sort of stuff. Also resources aren't really an issue on any of my machines, as all are 2gb+ ram, and fast athlon cpus.

I use utorrent on this machine for the downloads. If i'm seeding offsite i use azureus.

Utorrent is good up to a point, but it still lacks a lot of the features i find useful that azureus has (usable dht, tracker web, etc). When those features become fully available and a linux port is introduced i will most likely switch over to it full time.

I love it' date=' except for two details:

- It lacks proper disk-caching. This is a killer when downloading at 800+KB/s, I can't do anything hard drive intensive at the same time.

- The annoying creation of files marked as 'Don't download' (Yes, I know that by using sparse files this can be avoided. It's still a bug. BC does it correctly.)

Until this two issues are fixed, I'll stick with BitComet. (Will change in a heartbeat when they are.)[/quote']

Though I don't quite understand why that's necessary, since the size of the cache is supposed to scale up automatically when the client sees high download activity. That apparently isn't happening. Or maybe it doesn't go high enough to make a difference for him? There are not enough details about it to form a conclusion. Also, it would be interesting to see what he thinks if he did do what you said and bumped the cache size up, even to 32MB. When I do the latter, the disk is still a chatterbox when doing several torrents on a relatively high-end PC. Is that just the cost of doing business with so much data going in and out? Again, I'm not sure. 32MB is a lot of cache though, so it seems to me the disk shouldn't need to be quite so busy.

The only thing holding me back from using it full time (above questions surrounding disk caching notwithstanding) is the lack of a Safepeer equivalent.

I just prefer to have an ipfilter in place only when running torrents, so don't want to use one of the resident programs that run 24x7 and affect everything. I also don't care for Blocklist Manager, which is both slow and yet another thing to think about. I like simply running the torrent program and having it take care of it in short order and automatically, as Safepeer does for AZ.

Here are some screen captures from windows performance manager, the single counter being writes/sec in my physical disk D: (not system disk, no other program accessing it), while downloading at a steady 750 KB/s:

BitComet, cache settings - 20 MB min, 164 MB max, using about 35 MB:

bc0xt.th.png

µTorrent, diskio.write_queue_size=-1, diskio.coalesce_writes=true:

ulm1ns.th.png

µTorrent, diskio.write_queue_size=65536, diskio.coalesce_writes=true:

uhm3jq.th.png

So while increasing the write queue size (and 64MB is generous) does alleviate the problem, it is still inferior to BC's caching system by a large margin. :( And this for a single torrent, when dealing with several it gets worse.

Here are some screen captures from windows performance manager' date=' the single counter being writes/sec in my physical disk D: (not system disk, no other program accessing it), while downloading at a steady 750 KB/s:

So while increasing the write queue size (and 64MB is generous) does alleviate the problem, it is still inferior to BC's caching system by a large margin. :( And this for a single torrent, when dealing with several it gets worse.[/quote']

I'm not sure where you're downloading to get such speeds, but have you tried comparing AZ as well? I'm curious to see how it compares.

And you show utorrent set at 64MB when the max is supposed to be 32MB. I'm not sure what you were really getting set at 64MB.

rseiler safepeer is no substitute for peer guardian 2 but you can load any ip filter data files into PG2 . At least this has been my experience.

The last thing I want to run is yet another kernel-level firewall type product. There are already too many of those. All I want is the latest version of the filter list to load.

I'm not sure where you're downloading to get such speeds, but have you tried comparing AZ as well? I'm curious to see how it compares.

A private tracker. Here's Azureus, 32 MB cache (the maximum they advise), downloading at a little over 600 KB/s:

azureus5th.th.png

(I find Azureus to be bad in about everything: high CPU/mem use, high disk usage, lower speeds)

And you show utorrent set at 64MB when the max is supposed to be 32MB. I'm not sure what you were really getting set at 64MB.

I didn't know of that maximum. The advanced settings accepted 65536 without any complaint.

Depending on what connection im using, i tend to change azureus settings a lot.

If im on an external seed and occasional download on the 5MB/sec, i use 128MB ram for caching. If im at home using my 2Mb/sec ADSL, i use 64MB ram for caching.

Same goes for utorrent though, i use 32MB of ram to cache stuff to avoid the disk going nuts problem. But at the end of the day, you may all dislike azureus, but it does certain things a hell of a lot better.

rseiler the filter list is far from a complete list.

peer guardian 2 lets you compile your own lists and and add custom lists

This is very nice for not having to re update the list all the time.

Far from complete? Safepeer can utilize any or all of the lists here:

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/sources.txt

Though I simply use the main one, Level 1, which blocks about 658 million IP's at the moment. If that's incomplete so be it.

Archived