New version - 1.2.1 Beta 3 - is it faster ?

rafi

I tested uTorrent 1.2.1 b3 and i found that it has better download speed than the version 1.2 but the beta version doesnt have a good upload speed.

Well..I have set my U/ L to 30...and µtorrent gives 30 here from the moment a new torrent hits 1% (ok...it swings back and forth between 29.8 and 30.3 ;)

So no complaint from my side

-DG

Agreed with Animorc. There are no speed problems for most people, and the devs have not confirmed the speed problems, nor have they indicated that they know how to fix it. If there was a solvable issue, the devs would have noted it in the threads complaining about the problems.

Next time, read the changelog which is posted and linked right next to the download. There's nothing to do with speeds listed there.

Next time, read the changelog which is posted and linked right next to the download. There's nothing to do with speeds listed there.

these two fixes could possibly effect speed ;) =

- Fix: DHT announce port wasn't quite right

- Fix: If zeros are entered in seed settings, the seed is unprioritized.

I've been reading a lot of posts of people who "complain" about speed, even though they haven't considered number of seeds/leechers on the torrent, how many of the peers are connectable to you or if their ports are properly opened.

Anyway the point is that the software (µTorrent) is awesome, "speed" issues is due to your own computer, configuration (inside & outside of µTorrent), and most likely internet line.

Here's one thing I noticed with my speeds (again it's not proven could just be coincidence), those of you out there who use PeerGuardian2, NOD32, or anything kind of blocking like that, it could be that those programs are slowing down the download speed. I noticed a huge increase in my DL speeds when I turned off my PeerGuardian2 but the trade off was that I was bombarded by IPs that are supposed to be blocked. So that's what I observed, could be one of the factors or not.

Anyway the point is that the software (µTorrent) is awesome, "speed" issues is due to your own computer, configuration (inside & outside of µTorrent), and most likely internet line.

This has already been discussed, and it is much more than the torrent/user computer problem.

Correct! Finding the required seeds/peers is the key issue here. Features such as Exchanging peer info, and a good DHT network access, are essential in getting this good speed.

And I'm not talking about torrents such as this one (legal OpenOffice) that you can easily reach the speed of your full bandwidth with all BT clients ...

712KB/sec download rate @.@

Animorc = g0d!

I see you have particuarly on the 2nd from last torrent got 245 connections to seeds, on a LOT of my torrents i don't connect to more than 40 people seeds/peers :-/

Out of interest, what are your settings? I presume 300 connections max? mine is set that high, but never connects to that many peers.. Currently trialling 1.2 (not beta)

Yes. I set it to 300 slots/torrent and 250 upload slots/torrent. This particular torrent was from a private tracker, but OpenOffice and Linux torrents have similar seed/peer ratios. If there are more peers, you won't connect to this many seeds anyway. My normal settings are 100 slots/torrent and 100 upload slots/torrent. I only set it like this to reach the speed faster.

I have similar 100 slots/torrent myself, I almost exclusively use private trackers, to which i keep a 1:1 or better ratio, but public trackers are renowned for a LOT of bad peers that cap their uploads to 2KB/sec... Will definitely try 300 slots/torrent though, if only to see if i can connect to more peers (for better or worse) :)

Archived