µTorrent 3.1.2 stable (26821)

Firon

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Help->Send Beta Feedback, is apparently not doing anything, does anyone know what's supposed to be doing ? is it maybe only transparently one-time sending usage statistics ?

EDIT: oh sorry, I see that @mupple already reported it on first page

EDIT2: I'm thinking of this by @Firon "This version is built off 3.1 instead of 3.1.1. We will re-release 3.1.1 later with a higher version number."

And I notice that µTorrent 3.1.1 beta (build 26674) did "Fix: disk caching and hashing issues"

thus maybe my "freeze" issue is non existent in that 26674 build and will solve itself when new version is released. Now I'm unaware what they fixed regarding "disk caching" but my guess is that my "freeze" was disk caching related

Hey guys I'm back, I took a nap.

Utorrent was running the whole time, didn't freeze (yet), but I screenshoted the stats as they are at this time, I noticed something somewhat odd on the Write cache it says 942 MB of 32 MB, anyway these were the settings before utorrent started (and after xD)

(also the part file is set to false as rafi suggested in a prev. post)

https://imgur.com/a/Ds0vT

EDIT: I also notice there are a bunch of completed pieces which stick around in the Pieces tab, maybe those are filling up the memory eventually causing the freeze ? anyway just a thought, here's a pic: http://i.imgur.com/CwxRH.png

I don't understand - you practically cancel uT cache limit (32M) disable all Windows caches, and want someone to "understand" it has to throttle the 10MBps data flow to adjust for your slower HD? Sounds illogical to me. Either you set a cache limit/size or enable Windows cache (or both).

As it is - you are bound to break sometimes.

Your settings is not as recommended at all, not even in my tips/sig ... :P

I don't understand - you practically cancel uT cache limit (32M) disable all Windows caches, and want someone to "understand" it has to throttle the 10MBps data flow to adjust for your slower HD? Sounds illogical to me. Either you set a cache limit/size or enable Windows cache (or both).

As it is - you are bound to break sometimes.

Your settings is not as recommended at all, not even in my tips/sig ... :P

Before even posting this, I eventually realized what you meant and I've set cache limit to 700MB. But there should be some safeguarding so utorrent doesn't run out of memory with automatic cache size and thus causing it to become unresponsive (deduced)

------ i leave the following as is:

Not sure what you mean,

but if I untick "override automatic cache size and specify the size manually (MB):" doesn't that means it uses it's own hardcoded size of 32MB ? at least that's what I see in the cache picture where it's 942MB of 32MB - otherwise it's counterintuitive but then you're right, it then means it has no limit (but that would be a bit odd cause it would run out of memory at 2gig? since it's 32bit program which then it might explain my freeze lol, but it also means the "Override" option is not self explanatory)

Hmm, i see 2 meanings for "Override automatic cache size" = 1. override the size (of cache) which is one time chosen automatically (ie. 32MB, or when ticked, it's however much user specifies) and then stays fixed, doesn't vary; 2. override the size(of cache) which is automatically chosen every x seconds (let's say) which means it will vary in time depending on needs, but then the view of cache (see in screenies) where it says (942MB )"of 32MB" should perhaps be fixed then to not show 32MB but rather the same number (942MB of 942MB) perhaps.

So this way, you're saying it has the 2nd meaning, whilst I was hoping it has the first meaning.

Anyway about the pieces, they do seem to disappear from the Pieces tab but only after a few minutes (after already completed), so i guess that part is fine.

I don't understand what you mean by "and want someone to "understand" it has to throttle the 10MBps data flow to adjust for your slower HD? " it doesn't seem related to anything spoken before. I mean sure my hdd is slower, but what's that got to do with anything cause it doesn't seem to be keeping those pieces in cache until it can flush them (even though the hdd led is almost full time on)? especially since it seems to work fine, download is constantly at max inet speed (like i dno 5.8MiB/sec, 50mbps) it doesn't go down (as if to have to wait for hdd to flush)... hmm now unless, above "override" has meaning 2, which means it will increase cache until utorrent freezes (cause there's 2gig limit and can't alloc more ram <- point where it freezes perhaps) in which case i see what you mean :D

I'll try override to 700MB then, but last time i disabled it, it was because it would crash/freeze after a while (like I've described)

EDIT: PS: I'm out now, thank you @rafi for the eye opener !

By the way, if I Override cache size to 700MB, I also get the read cache size limit increased to like 221MB well seems it varies, but the disk write one is 700MB. So I guess then, they are both now going to be limited to 700MB eventually. But with Override disabled, you see in a previous screenie the read cache was limited to 1MB, and the write cache was well seen as limited to 32MB but you've convinced me that it's in fact unlimited.

So at the very least, there was something odd with read cache being 1MB, when "override" option was unticked. Cause you'd assume they'd both be unlimited then ? but only one of them was (the write cache)

http://i.imgur.com/qD9nf.png

After dialog shows for adding torrent (auto load torrent),

if I set label (Not empty name) for torrents,

utorrent always crash .

Version: uTorrent 3.1.2 Beta 26696 (the recent 2 update also have such a issue)

Dump link: http://ifile.it/n637cz2

I am having the same problem, when setting label in the "Add new Torrent" dialog, certain torrents it will always crash when setting label, other torrents have no problem with this.

If I leave the label blank it will add the torrent fine, I can then right click the torrent and add a label normally.

I submitted dumps via the internal feature, but it throws a HTTP error on each dump submission.

@rafi

here's the latest development

I've been working with the hdd so utorrent couldn't readily write all pieces to it, so it had to increase cache, but my limit to cache was this time set to 900MB, but at the time i noticed utorrent frozen, it's screen showed 1.65GB of 900MB therefore there's a bug here I'd say, where it passes the imposed limit. Maybe this was what was fixed in 3.1.1 ? (but we're using 3.1 here as first post says)

utorrent's gui is still "(Not Responding)" (as Windows appended to its title) but it is still working because i see it in bandwidthmonitor, but as you see the screenie there was a period when download was completely turned off (probably when it started to become unresponsive) but the utorrent gui is still unresponsive since:

http://i.imgur.com/giKh6.png

vertical bars are delimiting 1minute intervals

---

and this is how it looks when it's in this non-responding state (except now since I clicked it, windows made it a little whiter and it's still like that since - which means it didn't become responsive not even once since the whiteness, if u know what u mean)

http://i.imgur.com/Wd5oe.png

----

And this was a taskmanager screenie at the time when I was still using the hdd (so utorrent couldn't yet fully flush write cache):

http://i.imgur.com/Yj6Tn.png

-----

And this was when the only one using hdd was utorrent (so it flushed most of it - probably has read cache now I'd think - esp. since u said read+write caches equal the limit I set at "override" which makes sense to me thx):

http://i.imgur.com/EZ9r2.png

now it's at 435MB btw (that's why I assume it's increased due to read cache increasing)

Anyway, point is: write cache goes past the limit that I set at "override" (and when override isn't set, it still goes past that 32MB limit which seems to be set, in which case means in my previous post the "override" part has meaning "1" ... just that this bug was tricking us? )

EDIT: also the obviousness from this is, that the gui becomes unresponsive when utorrent memory usage peak reaches that 1,985,096K (2gig limit for 32bit processes?) probably due to some memory alloc not being fulfilled I'd venture

I am currently still with non-responsive gui, but torrent is downloading fine (as seen in the bandwidth monitoring, yes even uploading, just that they don't leech much :/ )

Everything related to 3.1 should have been left to bake for a lot longer. Gone back to 3.01

Getting a little tired of seeing settings disappear after an upgrade as well, might end up considering other clients at some point, utorrent just seems like a mess to me right now.

Release highlights:
  • Fix: hashing issues

• Fix: peers sending bad data were not being banned correctly

Changelog:

-- 2012-01-26: Version 3.1.2 beta (build 26696)

- Fix: fixed issue where peers sending bad data wouldn't get banned

- Fix: False positive hash failures

Was the webui removed from 3.1.2? I have a remote box that I used the webui primarily to do stuff. When I saw the update for 3.1.2 was available I upgraded to it and logged out. Tried to actually access the webui today, and saw it was turned off in the advanced settings, and my login details were changed back toe "admin" and whatever the password is.

After enabling it, I'm now getting "The µTorrent WebUI does not seem to be installed. Click here to try to install it, or see the guide for more details."

Was this intentional to have everyone move over to the utorrent remote, or did somethign screwy happen on my end?

Was the webui removed from 3.1.2? I have a remote box that I used the webui primarily to do stuff. When I saw the update for 3.1.2 was available I upgraded to it and logged out. Tried to actually access the webui today, and saw it was turned off in the advanced settings, and my login details were changed back toe "admin" and whatever the password is.

After enabling it, I'm now getting "The µTorrent WebUI does not seem to be installed. Click here to try to install it, or see the guide for more details."

Was this intentional to have everyone move over to the utorrent remote, or did somethign screwy happen on my end?

I think, that WebUI is now only available in uTorrent Plus (pay version).

test it for your self you will end like this

Stop posting this screenshot a 1000 times, and try to understand:

The cache limit is split between the two caches.

Translation: 17.1M + 110 = 128M. Is it better to not split it ? This is another story...

I think, that WebUI is now only available in uTorrent Plus (pay version).

If that's the case then there's a design flaw with that implementation :P

I found my original webui.zip in "%appdata%\roaming\utorrent" instead of "%appdata\local\utorrent" - I simply copied it back over to where it's supposed to be, and the webui works again.

I haven't upgraded my home server to 3.1.2 yet, will do so now to see if it exhibits the same behavior.

Just realized, remote uTorrent server is Windows Server 2008 x64, home server is Windows Server 2003 x64. Going to %appdata% at home, there is no "Roaming" "Local" or "LocalLow" - it's JUST it's own directory.

OK, @ home, upgrading to 3.1.2, on Server 2003, the webui stayed enabled, and my previously set username/password were retained this time, however, the "Alternative listening port" was disabled, where as I had it enabled previously.

When I installed uTorrent to my Server 2008 box, I just typed in %appdata%, and found the uTorrent folder, and dropped the webui.zip file into it. Didn't realize I was in roaming instead of local. Any way to test and verify this?

test it for your self you will end like this

Stop posting this screenshot a 1000 times' date=' and try to understand:

The cache limit is split between the two caches.

Translation: 17.1M + 110 = 128M. Is it better to not split it ? This is another story...

how come utorrent 3.0 works with both cache ???? why not ut 3.1 ???

Archived