µTorrent 3.3.1 RC

TylerW

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have deactivated AV and Firewall for Test.

I think it has something to do with some torrents who have the status Error - Some Files missing and too many torrents in the list.

I will monitor it further and try the newest version.

I don't know you, you don't know me, so neither one of us is of any importance in the life of the other, so how is it that putting heavy emphasis on a few words that are there for one and all to read, "shouting" at you in particular??

You really do sound mad, son. Also, like one of those apologists that many corps lately have for free, and paradoxically, they do feel smarter than the average... boo boo. Coincidentally, your signature.

Found a setting in the advanced options, that influence the behavior.

bt.save_resume_rate

I set it to 240 from 120 and now it freeze all 4 Minutes.

So i think it has something to do with the many torrents and the torrents with a error state in my case.

bt.save_resume_rate

Clean up your "act"... having more then 10-20 active torrent is really not advised...

But, resume file should be written to also per all user/state related events

Could be related to high speed downloading (>10MB/s) and (cache) writes as that's when I spotted this behavior.

That's likely. My LAN tests trigger it at~15MB/s . Luckily, not many of us are over 100Mbps (12MB/s) ... :)

You really do sound mad, son. Also, like one of those apologists that many corps lately have for free,

Well, I can assure you that I am neither an apologist for anyone or 'angry' about anything, least of all a bittorrent client that I have no control over or people that I do not know or care about.

I simply 'speak my mind' and if others cannot handle it, that is not really my problem. I maintain the opinion of there being two knds of problems:

Some that can be fixed and some that can't and neither should become an issue. You simply fix the ones you can and don't worry about the others. For this instance problems with a BitTorrent client are easily fixed by using a different one, and in that respect that probably DOES make me smarter, because I don't waste my time complaining about things that I have no control over, I make the smart choice of using something different that is without those attendant problems.

...I don't waste my time complaining about things that I have no control over...

Well, see, that's what makes us different. You throw up your hands too easily. I will always say something. I am always the guy who raises his hand in the meeting and says, "Hey, what about..." or "This is a minor thing, but does this have to be this way?" And you know what? Often, I have people tell me afterwards, "Thanks, it bothered me too, but I didn't want to say anything," or "I'm glad you mentioned that. I wanted to, but my boss would have flipped out on me." They're worried about rocking the boat, for whatever reason, or they don't want to be seen as "that guy." I'm not concerned. So I speak up. And often, nonsensical things get changed because I do.

In this case, maybe some dev put in the minimum width on the left panel "just because," without any real specific reason, but just because he thought it should have one. If there was no real solid reason, maybe he'll read our comments about it and think, "Y'know what? There's really no reason for that, so I'll just take it out." And then my problem is solved.

Alternately, if there is a good reason, or he "knows better" than me, which I acknowledge may be the case, then he can ignore my gripe, because it's a minor inconvenience, or he can explain its reasoning, and the world keeps spinning. But most of the time, you'll get one of those three responses: change, ignore, or explain. Only occasionally do you get the "if you don't like it, leave" response that you gave, because that sounds petulant and childish, and is usually reserved for those situations where the person being questioned can't adequately justify their actions and/or does not like having their authority challenged.

You throw up your hands too easily.
Wrong again, so stop making silly assumptions please. Before I gave up being a wage slave I was the who was prepared to say what everyone else was thinking, my immediate boss stated that they were never in doubt what I thought in meetings because "I treated everybody with the same disrepect".
In this case, maybe some dev put in the minimum width on the left panel "just because," without any real specific reason, but just because he thought it should have one. If there was no real solid reason, maybe he'll read our comments about it and think, "Y'know what? There's really no reason for that, so I'll just take it out." And then my problem is solved.

Sure if you were in a discussion regarding the design or specification directly, but you are not. uTorrent design and development is NOT a democratic process, things will ONLY change if, and when bitTorrent management decide. Change on this will not be effected with rhetoric, only rebellion,

And, please if you are going to misquote me, try to get closer to what I said, which was.

As I've said before, you are not 'married' to one particular client, if you don't like what is happening, CHANGE TO A DIFFERENT ONE.

That is making a choice, not giving up.

...things will ONLY change if, and when bitTorrent management decide. Change on this will not be effected with rhetoric, only rebellion...

There's no reason for them to change it if they're never aware it's an issue. So what's the harm in asking? The worst thing that happens is they say no, or just ignore the suggestion.

I don't understand why you are so vehemently opposed to dissent. What is wrong with saying something? I understand if you feel it's useless, but you're not arguing as if it's useless, you're arguing as if just the act of asking is somehow wrong, in and of itself. Like I'm breaking some unwritten law or something.

And as far as "rhetoric vs rebellion" goes... what purpose does it serve to "rebel" and change to a different clent? They're not making any money, so it's not like I'm hitting them in the wallet. I'm interested in making things better, and so, I would presume, are the developers. Perhaps more so even than if they were making money from it, because they're doing this because they want to, and so want to see it succeed. And so, in wanting that, I would think that feedback would be somewhat welcome. That feedback could then be channeled according to impact and importance, into "should be changed," "could be changed," or "won't be changed." But I promise you, unless someone at some point provides some feedback (even if they're providing the feedback to themselves), every issue would perpetually stay in "won't be changed," and nothing ever gets better.

So again, I ask, why are you so opposed to feedback? You're not telling me I'm wasting my time, you're not telling me it's a stupid idea so why bother, you're telling me "don't do it just because I don't think you should."

I'm attempting to offer coherent feedback here, I'm not posting yet another "MY TORETNS DON WORK Y NOT PLS HALP ME U ALL SUCK" post. If you think my feedback is dumb, then ignore it. ESPECIALLY since you're not even a dev, and it's not specifically aimed at you.

I'm attempting to offer coherent feedback here,

...which has been clearly presented and convincingly argued, IMO,

If you think my feedback is dumb, then ignore it.  ESPECIALLY since you're not even a dev, and it's not specifically aimed at you.

Accept a candid character admission to avoid argumentative static and, as you've stated, focus on what may impact a design modification, despite contrary, foregone conclusions.

"I treat(ed) everybody with the same disrepect"

Distinction in equanimous disdain doesn't equate to a superior opinion - only self-absorption.

Add the "Create subfolder" checkbox to the RSS downloader' date=' too, please.[/quote']

Good idea... :) What about also the opposite - avoid creating sub-folders?

Actually I meant the opposite :) Utorrent now creates subfolders for multifile RSS torrents and I want to avoid that.

bt.save_resume_rate

Clean up your "act"... having more then 10-20 active torrent is really not advised...

But, resume file should be written to also per all user/state related events

This is an annoying behavior that started with version 3.3. It's been mentioned a couple times but I don't remember anyone determining that it's likely tied to the Save_Resume_Rate. It shouldn't freeze the client for 30 seconds to save the resume.dat file when it's not that large (~5Mb). Ever since the dev team "updated" the disk i/o subsystem there have been problems when writing to disk, both torrent data and now it appears resume.dat. The devs need to wrap their heads around the fact that many of the users frequently have > 20 torrents in the client.

I am convinced that the Devs aren't fully aware of some of the major or widespread problems that affect many users.

It may be because they do not extensively test their product before public release or they are up to their knees on other projects so they can generate more revenue!

It may be time to really think about cleaning house!

It's not as easy. Files can conflict between torrents...

I understand that files can conflict, though it has never happened with the torrents I have set to download through the RSS downloader. I usually just move them manually to the parent folder after they are downloaded. Of course I have to set the new path in uTorrent if I want to seed them (and I do).

Skipping the conflicting files might be a solution but then the feature gets a bit complicated. Anyway I'd be glad to use this feature and it would save me a lot of time.

Devs aren't fully aware... many users.

You think? Maybe we are not fully aware hiw 'many" there really are? Maybe those users here represent only 0.1% of the overall total? They do have better stats then we have, don't they?

Ever since the dev team "updated" the disk i/o subsystem there have been problems

I guess that's the price you pay for "progress" ... ;p No one is forcing you to upgrade...

Devs aren't fully aware... many users.

You think? Maybe we are not fully aware hiw 'many" there really are? Maybe those users here represent only 0.1% of the overall total? They do have better stats then we have' date=' don't they?

Ever since the dev team "updated" the disk i/o subsystem there have been problems

I guess that's the price you pay for "progress" ... ;p No one is forcing you to upgrade...

But how is it "progress" when if I "move" a 20Mb torrent within uTorrent 3x it takes 5 minutes. If I simply copy the folder using explorer it takes 5 seconds (+time to re-point uTorrent). It's very apparent they have something incorrectly implemented in the "new" disk i/o. I've used and written a lot of software that included the copying/moving of files and nothing I've ever done is as slow as the current disk i/o in utorrent....

Besides when progress entails 1 step forward and 3 steps back for months and in some cases years then there is most definitely something major happening behind the scenes..

It's either they are really not sure know/how to fix certain lingering problems or they aren't getting paid enough thus the lack of heart when truley working.

if I "move" a 20Mb torrent within uTorrent 3x it takes 5 minutes. If I simply copy the folder using explorer it takes 5 seconds (+time to re-point uTorrent)

Windows Explorer does not "move" files between directories, it simply changes the pointers to the file in the file allocation table for FAT32 or the Master File Table and index for NTFS.

When uTorrent relocates a torrent it has to reconstruct the pieces one by one.

When uTorrent relocates a torrent it has to reconstruct the pieces one by one.

No it doesn't. If the destination is on the same drive - it does the same as explorer, move links. That takes seconds. *Between* drives - it copies (again, same as explorer...), then delete the old one. That depends on your HDs speed/activity.

Archived