3.5.x Beta

TylerW

FWIW,  I updated to 46346-beta and mine DOES have the "General | Updates" section dimmed so I can't change anything, but the choices remain unchecked as before.  I too have never had an auto update occur.  However I do think I have those ut host names blocked in my HOSTS file.

Here's my list of blocked hosts re: uT and bT

0.0.0.0 update.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 ads.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 ap.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 apps.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 beta.bundles.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 btinstall-artifacts.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 bundles.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.ap.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 engine.ap.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 offer.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 offers.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 offers-i.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 pr.apps.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 services.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 static.ap.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 update.utorrent.com
0.0.0.0 update.utorrent.li
0.0.0.0 utorrent.inspsearch.com
0.0.0.0 raptor.utorrent.com
0.0.0.0 remote.utorrent.com
0.0.0.0 bench.utorrent.com
0.0.0.0 download3.utorrent.com

Obviously, if uT has the ip hard coded then the hosts file will have no effect.  Also, there are a few URLs inside of settings.dat, but I checked them and they are not update related.  You could always mangle them anyway if you're so inclined...I mangle the offers and trontv urls myself...

• Like 1

While 'Automatically install updates' has been enabled in the last update to my uTorrent installation - I DON'T WANT THAT! - and is greyed out so I cannot change it - did I say I DON'T WANT THAT? - my installation has NOT updated with the latest version.

Currently on Beta 46346 which seems to be working well for me. 

18 hours ago, gjm said:

While 'Automatically install updates' has been enabled in the last update to my uTorrent installation - I DON'T WANT THAT! - and is greyed out so I cannot change it - did I say I DON'T WANT THAT? - my installation has NOT updated with the latest version.

Currently on Beta 46346 which seems to be working well for me. 

I would try 46348 [manually] and those settings should then be un-dimmed, set them to your desires and you should be done.  as far as advanced-prefs are concerned the one I see that may be applicable is

btapps.auto_update_btinstalls

which I have set to *false.   there is also silent_auto_updates which is false by default, I suspect that's the "notify me first" setting.

But, this line in HOSTS is most likely the best bet

0.0.0.0 update.utorrent.com

good luck...

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 11:41 PM, icebox said:

Is there a setting that controls how fast torrents become active after a restart?  3.5.5 build 46248 does this at about half the speed of 2.2.1.  Its very frustrating and I'd like this to go at a faster speed. 

I might have  noticed this too... What exactly is your use-case? Restart of what exactly - a torrent? uTorrent?

Anyways’ the stable LAA - was uploaded to: - >uTorrent EXE with LAA Flag<

Edited by rafi
  • Thanks 1

Went from stable 45838 to stable 46348 and noticed my memory use in Win10 was about 1500-2000MB and now with the update its running out of memory and crashing after a few mins.  When I first launch 46348 and let it settle its estimating around 2700-3500MB a lot higher than the 458383.  Both versions are the LAA from rafi, I might have to roll back the older version and or delete some old torrents.  I was trying to resolve the dissociated torrent problem I have many torrents in that state now.

Edited by R2_D2

On 7/15/2022 at 1:30 PM, rafi said:

I might have  noticed this too... What exactly is your use-case? Restart of what exactly - a torrent? uTorrent?

Anyways’ the stable LAA - was uploaded to: - >uTorrent EXE with LAA Flag<

I am confused by your "best settings dat" file.  I've used it in the past with great success.

I just tried downloading it, and it looks like a corrupted file called  settings_355_1M+.dat.[6106264C].w3qupe   What is that?  

1 hour ago, joshace said:

I am confused by your "best settings dat" file.  I've used it in the past with great success.

I just tried downloading it, and it looks like a corrupted file called  settings_355_1M+.dat.[6106264C].w3qupe   What is that?  

Rename it to settings.dat I did the same to make sure I was running the rafi's best settings.  

10 hours ago, joshace said:

It was indeed corrupted... Just fixed it. RE-download it.

BTW, I don't see any significant memory usage here (~600 torrents in the list):

https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEBS0NT

Edited by rafi

This is what I'm seeing I got lucky and was able to screen cap before it crashed.  

45838 was way better for me running 1500MB average.

I also re-downloaded our settings.dat and tried that same result.

Screenshot 2022-07-20 165434.png

Edited by R2_D2
missed pic attach

23 hours ago, SergeyQA said:

When it crashes, .dmp file has to be created in the utorrent directory. Would you mind to share this file, so we can investigate please?

Unfortunately I deleted the entire folder and started over back to 45838 and running stable since sending the above message.  I'm averaging ~1500 to 2500MB memory usage now.   Maybe something to do with my setup?  Whats the theoretical amount of torrents we can have in the program?  I usually only have 20-30 seeding and downloading at any given moment regardless of the total # within. 

On 7/8/2022 at 2:07 PM, javacatpaul said:

oh yeah I almost forgot:  46346 still hangs on exit as before, but killing the utorrentie.exe by nulling it still solves that issue.   Otherwise 46346 seems to work fine...

I had the same problem with build 46348. I looked up the utorrentie.exe thing, replaced the file with a read-only empty file with the same name and now it exits correctly.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Ryrynz said:

I'm curious since I run into this problem every couple of months or so since I think the beginning of time, does anyone else have uTorrent's UI just die? I can remote UI in fine, and the torrents seem to be functioning fine too.

Using enough Windows 10 memory ? I 've seen  insufficient RAM issue , which was caused by this Win10 BUG(!) :

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/feeds-showing-high-memory-usage-in-windows

Maybe it's related? I've turned off "News and interests" which resolved the RAM problem...

10 hours ago, rafi said:

Using enough Windows 10 memory?

Memory is good, 16GB RAM on W10 and it basically only runs qBittorrent & uTorrent. At time of writing it's reporting 10GB free. It's already had a lot of fluff removed/disabled so shouldn't be a system issue. uTorrent is set for Auto RAM management.

Any ideas what the new exe is that gets installed along with the new utorrent:  MicrosoftEdgeWebView2Setup.exe  ??  Beside the obvious from the name.   Why would uT want or need to install and run this?

It seems to get left running in the backlground and there are new tasks that rerun it.   Looks like "standard MS Edge updating every hour" bagage crap that's present in W10.

I have W7 without Edge installed.  I don't want Edge.  Ever.  Suspect this is in response to EOL for IE.   FWIW 46508's integration with Firefox is still just fine,  .torrent files and maglinks still  open Firefox as before.

Anyway, I simply disabled the 2 Edge-Update tasks and the 2 Edge-Update services.   I renamed the above exe to ex_ to ensure it's kaput.  works fine and does not "come back".

[those on W10 shd NOT do this however, you guys do need the EdgeUpdater.  But I would registry-tweak it to not run more than once a day; just my opinion...].

I also noticed that it did not seem to be necessary to zero-out the utorrentie.exe child helper - it exited cleanly without hanging this time. but I did anyway.  works fine so far...

Edited by javacatpaul

Well, old fart strikes again -- me.

I guess this "change" is pretty benign.  It's just installing the Web-View system component of Edge, and setting things up to keep it updated properly.  I guess the new uT makes use of it in some way, prob the Web UI and Remote features.  Fine, I don't use those [and so did not check those features for correctness in this new build].  I do not like how often it does updates, but that was MS's decision.  Progress, humph...;)  Enjoy...and thanks Rafi...