ISPs that throttle/interfere with BitTorrent

Firon

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem (throttles) with my Comcast in South Florida, and tried a few VPN's. I had some success but it was not steady. I'm now with http://www.strongvpn.com and they give me access to a 1Gb connection with no throttles. Everything seems ok now. I have seen others post similar success with other VPN providers like Relax.

You have to get around their Sandvine, I use a OpenVPN solution from them but I know their regular VPN account works for some.

Best of luck, I really hate what Comcast is doing to their customers.

I just talked to Bell rep and they are throttling p2p and it will get worse , he says things are changing and the throttling is here to stay for p2p, but says it won't affect browsing or http downloads.I told him Bell is not right and as soon as my contract is up I am finished with Bell, question is which one to go to next??

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot get u torrent to go above 1.2MBs no matter on the torrent, seeders being high and all that good stuff.

even with several torrent going at the same time utorrent Max's out at 1.2MBs.

I have a 10MBs service, on fiber optic network.

I asked my provider about throttling , and they said that they do not.(surewest broadband-CA)

I did speed test and here are the results - http://www.speedtest.net/result/216630729.png

9500Kb/s+ down and 5000Kb/s up.

could there be some other problem, or is my provider not being honest?

I have my firewall and port fowarding set proper.

10 megabits/sec (according to your speed test, that's about what you have) can only download files around 1.25 MegaBYTES/sec.

You'd need nearly a 100 megabits/sec connection to download at 10 MegaBYTES/sec...and good luck finding a single place that will upload to you that fast!

just to let people with brighthouse networks in central florida know:

i was experiencing some major slowdowns on uT and frequent loss of connections when running uT, i switched to port 1720 and am d/l ing at a personal record of 600Kb/s.

also is dosdragon still recommended/available, http://www.dosdragon.com/antithrottle.zip is taking me to some godaddy site

also, Time Werner Communications is appearing quite frequently in my PG2 log (not sure if thats something to worry about or not)

? What IP range for roadrunner connections. They own .. uhm a large chunk of IP space. Did you check the ips listed at a site like whois.ws to see if it's subleased or re-assigned to someone OTHER than RR usage.

Checking online funnily enough brough up http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=221926 as the first result.

As others will tell you if you ask, PeerGuardian and the like is essentially useless. You are better off making your own blocklist from IPs you EXPERIENCE trouble with. (The following TWO links DWKnight likes to post: http://neuron2neuron.blogspot.com/2006/05/blocklist-balderdash.html and http://www.slyck.com/story1593_MediaDefender_Leak_Offers_BlueTack_Users_a_Reality_Check )

it does not mater, i could have 10 torrents going at the same time, each reporting 200

+ kB/s each way (up loading and downloading), and up at the top or bottom of utorrent, it reports only 1000-1200 kB/s. i now it's doing more, but it will not report proper globel transfer.

and yes i am taking in to concideration that it read upload sepretly then download.

on a single torrent downloading i have reached over 1000kB/s with many other torrent going at the same time. also downloading 100kB/s + -, and utorrent only read upto 1200 kB/s

on the top or bottom of screen. up or down, will not read higher. time of day does not matter.

i am on a fiber optic network, and for the bandwith i pay for, they garentee that they do not throttle. surewest broadband in CA. on some speed test it could be as high as

18000+kB/s down and 15000+kB/s up. in this state, and as much as 10000+ up and down to the east cost and parts of the UK and Mexico

i have tried changing ports, it does not help. i think the problem is in utorrent it self.

on some torrent sits they give free speed test an it also reads higher then utorrent globle readings. on my fire wall it tells me how much utorrent is moving, and utorrent is not reading

proper. i hope this enough input for some one to give me a fix.

Quoting in this topic is your friend...but why don't you make your own topic. And what is your specific question? Capitalization is your friend. uT reports all of ITS traffic. If you're doing other traffic of course it won't be represented in uT's logging/regulation/visualization of your computer's traffic.

Edited for clarity after I saw http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=293536#p293536 .

I live in Beaverbank, near Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. I use Eastlink high speed cable internet, advertised at 15 MBit/sec download, bundled with full-tier analogue cable at $96 per month. A stand-alone package is about $55 plus tax. They definitely throttle their BT connections, both download and upload. I just finished a 8.36 GB upload. I started on Dec 28, and finally got the availability past 1.999 last night (so technicall today, Jan 19.

While I may briefly get spikes of 10 up to 26 kB/sec upload speeds, most of the time it ranged from 0.1 to 5 KB/sec. My upload allotment is set to 45 kB/sec, but I am usually lucky if I can get 26 kB/sec for all uploads currently running. Even if I stop all other torrents, and concentrate on only uploading one, I still get the same upload speed on whichever torrent I choose. In other words, if I'm uploading at 5 kB/sec and stop all other torrents, I continue uploading at 5 kB/sec and the other 40 kB/sec that are allocated for uploading just go unused.

How, I ask you, can this be considered a 15 Mbit connection, when the majority of file sharing or downloading is done by torrents these days, except for operating system updates? I don't think I can even email more than 5, or 10 megabytes to someone, so how else can you transfer files?

The whole torrent throttling thing, as well as that idiotic 10 half open connection limit in TCPIP.SYS instroduced in Windows XP Service Pack 2 should be illegal. Advertising a 15 MB connection, but not if you use torrents, should be blatantly considered false advertising, and at the whopping price of either $55 stand-alone or $96 bundled with regular cable, it is outright thievery.

I have noticed that some sites seem to have agreements with eastlink so that nthey are not throttled. For instance, despite nearing 40, I enjoy anime, and torrents from cartoon world download at speeds that can near $400 kB/sec for new torrents, quicker than going to megadownload and trying to download. So it isn't that Eastlink, Nova Scotia has to throttle, it's just that they choose to torrent throttle anyone who they don't reach an agreement with.

If I may make a suggestion, while you may think that one voice can't make a difference, one voice among thousands can. If your Internet Provider practices this hateful practice of torrent throttling, email them and tell them how unfair and unrealistic it is given the way files are typically downloaded these days, especially if they grant exceptions to certain sites as Eastlink does, and warn them that you are just waiting for the right incentive to switch providers.

You may think it is pointless, but if enough people complain via email and even regular mail, they will eventually get the message when they realize why they are losing customers and why they have two thousand complaints on their hands.

I sent in my emailed complaint to Eastlink a day or two ago, and got the obligatory "your input is valuable to us, we will pass it along" reply. As I said, I am one voice. But add hundreds or thousands, and tell them in writing why you are switching to Aliant or Rogers, or whoever, and they will start getting the message. You can complain to the tech support guy on the phone all you want, but unless you commit your complaint to writing, even emailed writing, no one else will ever hear it.

Give it a try. Trust me, it feels good. :) What have you got to lose besides the time it takes to write the email. Just don't waste your time with obscenities, be calm and rational, and you may be surprised some day. After all, if you use torrent, like 90% of the computer using population, and you can choose between a company that practices torrent throttling, and one that doesn't, I know which one you are going to choose, and if they get enough complaints, so will your own internet provider!

Sorry to drone on so long, but some things need to be said. Torrent programs are legal. Trying to stop people from using them shouldn't be. That's my opinion. What's your's?

Hi,

Brazilian ISP (Brasil Telecom) is doing Traffic Shapping between 10:00h and 23:59h with transfer rate limited to ~12Kb/s.

"Enable encryption" available in uTorrent 1.7.6 (b7859) is NOT enought.

Some peoples are using VPN (from blacklogic.com) to fix this problem!

**EDIT**: This problem is fixed with 1.8 version.

Regards,

Renato S. Yamane

I have been researching this problem intensely now for the last few days, and its really quite a bit more extensivly pervasive than I ever would have had previously imagined possible. It would seem to be that the corporate world really has an active obsession in degrading the basic fibers of the internet these days. Indeed even the latest Microsoft automatic update has taken aim at the functions of Bittorrent client software. McAfee Security may also be suspect of causing the same kind of maliciousness caused by malware programs it is supposed to protect against but in reality are designed and distributed by the very same corporate interests that will ultimately bring down any sense of freedom left on the internet. All in all, the situation seems quite hopeless, so I guess the best I can say download as much as you can now, because in a few years (or even months, maybe) it may all be over.

Archived